Car design is harder than I had thought... help please | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Car design is harder than I had thought... help please

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Bounce, Mar 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    as a follow up on the 2 editions,the 2010 edition has a section devoted to photoShop rendering,whereas the 2003 version does not.
    also,the cars featured in the newer ed. are as one would expect,newer.
    the interviews with the designers are with the comtemporary leaders,rather than those who were in charge 10 years ago.
    that said,I'll send you the 2003 ed.
    I'm getting a list of books that the lower level CCS students are 'supposed' to read :)

2. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    now i feel guilty, thanks John, i'll be in contact once ready to send you :)

3. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #578 JeremyJon, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It's amazing how small that car really is in the 'flesh/metal'.

Still looks good 40 years later IMHO.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Hold on to that booklet on the Aero Vette. Very special. Look at those simple sketches by Jerry Palment - Indigo Blue Prismacolor on Vincent Vellum. Too many think that the really fancy noodled to death rendering is how to communicate but look at those sketches and realize that they tell one quickly what is needed.

There is also the wallpaper rendering by Tom Semple. Not really a part of the design development but an interesting technique. The background really is wallpaper from some room he was doing at his home.

Jeff

6. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    This seemed like the right thread for nineteen minutes of Stephenson:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMFPzer0opA&list=UU5rBpVgv83gYPZ593XwQUsA&index=8&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Whoa...............if I hadn't known any better when the video first started and the yellow Mac was on the screen,I could have sworn it was a Ferrari.

Sorry Frank ! :D

8. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    At 15:00, FS mentions a carbon powder based tech that yields very stiff components. Anyone know what this tech is called and who leads that particular field?

Anyone care to share insights into other cutting edge structural techs?

My thanks in advance.

9. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdWuy1lhYzY&list=UU5rBpVgv83gYPZ593XwQUsA&index=1&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #586 JeremyJon, Aug 30, 2012
  11. AdiDewey

AdiDewey Rookie

Aug 30, 2012
    I'm happy with a B-

I need to write a new one soon anyway :)

12. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  14. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Random question here again from me :)

If I were to take inspiration, (loose design influence) of a particular custom made part by Zagato and created my own would I require their permission?

I've gotten an idea for a tail light design which I'm rather obsessed about to the stage of having a dream about it... No interest in selling it but assuming I worked with someone to get to the prototyping stage for my own personal vehicle.

Only reason I'd sell it would be in limited quantity to recoup some production costs etc.

15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Unless your solution is an unmitigated copy and infringes upon a patented technical solution I would not be worried. Design by its nature is influenced by everything we have seen in the past and are seeing currently. Everyone is generally speaking heading down the same path. One can also finds decades of examples of cars that have been rolled into the design studios for inspiration or more direct theme copying.

Jeff

16. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    #592 Bounce, Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, it isn't copying per say just the same idea for a smiler design.

I think it's easier via pictures to show what I mean.

This is my vision for the Toyota 86, the stock taillights are so cheap and ugly it ruins the rear end for me, I realise the car is a canvas and soon all sorts of after market options will flood the market but I doubt there will be anything I'll be into.

Zagato's V12 tail lights are so simple and elegant if you take a look at the Toyota photo with the removed rear light assembly you can see a Zagato solution is possible with a 6/12 LED array blinker array.

The 86 is a fantastic looking car in my opinion and it would be complete with better rear lights! Only 14 more months to my delivery :(

Excuse the crude photoshop, it's imcomplete as the LED blinkers are missing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    +1
    what Jeff said

18. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    #594 Qvb, Sep 16, 2012
    Hey Patrick,
    I was messing around today and built a model of your tailight design. It actually works pretty well.

19. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Wow John! That came out much better than my sketches and photoshops.

I was worried it would be akin to ricing up a Japanese car but it's exactly what I had envisioned.

I might have to PM you and discuss this further, I'd like to get in touch with some aftermarket companies see if anyone is interested in prototyping.

I was looking at buying a 3D model, did you model that yourself? thanks again!

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    go for it Pat, it looks really good! maybe see if someone like APC will buy it/produce it?! and some $ for you :D

21. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    An expensive, but great company to work with is 3 Dimensional Services to make proper OE-like tail light buckets; although there may be an option similar in AU

http://www.3dimensional.com/index.jsp

22. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Yes, I modeled it. It would be a relatively easy tail light to make. Just need to find a suitable aftermarket (or possibly OEM) round light and then create the bucket based off of that. Then it would just be a matter of the electrical connection, which should be fairly straightforward.

23. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've been searching for the off the shelve tail lights, mostly found kit car resources but I need to get some measurements.

Other issue is the legality of custom tail lights here in Aus I need to find what can be done.

Next is how the turn signals are integrated whether they are in the middle of the round light or to the side as and LED cluster.

The reverse light is in the "diffuser" area, again also not sure if it must be within the tail light cluster area.

Thanks again, didn't expect this much support ;)

24. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    The Ferrari California has a single round light so the light break up like that would seem doable. You do have that flat area where you could put some lights but I think the turn signals need to be viewable from the side.
    I wouldn't think the police would care about or even notice different tail lights.

I also was searching the aftermarket and was surprised not to see more simple round tail lamps. I know they are out there.