Car design is harder than I had thought... help please | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Car design is harder than I had thought... help please

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Bounce, Mar 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #551 jm2, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  3. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
  4. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
  5. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
  6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Any stories on what really happened to force Lyons out?

Jeff

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #557 JeremyJon, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  10. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    A while ago, someone recommended H*Point, the Fundamentals of Car Design & Packaging, a book that introduces readers to the relevant fundamentals in an accessible, thorough manner.

Has anyone leafed through other DesignStudio Press offerings?

What about books and DVDs by Scott Robertson?

My thanks in advance.

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I believe it was earlier in this very thread,but yes I highly recommend the H Point book.
    I require it for my Senior Class.Well written by an Art Center Prof.

I've got the Scott Robertson books & I would say they are good for rendering techniques,but are less "technical" than the H Point book.The other books from the Design Studio Press are also rendering oriented and are great for the guys/gals that work in the movie biz to use as rendering examples and Syd Mead type futurism concepts.
    Like a lot of things......depends on what you're looking for and what you intend to do with them.They are beautiful to look at if nothing else.

12. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #562 JeremyJon, Aug 16, 2012
    ^^ great info John, thanks :) ...can i ask, is there a required reading list for say 1st year students, and for your seniors? i'd be keen to read through what's recommended

...personally this is a great help, since i can't/don't want to buy a huge library, but do want to acquire some most essential books

here's one i'm curious about, have you guys read through this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #563 jm2, Aug 16, 2012
    the title on this one always makes me laugh.How to Illustrate & Design Concept Cars? Seriously?
    How would they be any different than designing a production car??

Anyway,I would give that particular book a B-. It's just OK IMHO.
    In my opinion,a much better book is the "How to Design Cars Like a Pro" book.Much more comprehensive analysis of the process.

HOWEVER,I need to add,there is no book on the planet that will "teach" you the basic fundamentals. That will only come from practice,practice,practice!!!!
    You have to draw all the time.Take a sketchpad to a local car show or airplane show,or even a parking lot.Sit in a comfortable chair and draw the cars as you see them.Over & over.From different angles and different eye levels. After doing this for months you will start to get the "feel" for proportion,size,stance,volume,etc.

I'll ask the lower level Profs what books are a part of their curriculum.

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    jeremy,

you had previously expressed an interest in the clay modeling process

the attached video is of the summer interns at GM Design.Look beyond the design part,but the sculpting part may show you some techniques:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsuEN57LBS4&feature=g-hist[/ame]

15. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #565 JeremyJon, Aug 16, 2012
    thanks John, i was just curious about the book, i try to look through any in advance before any purchase be considered, failing that ask about it's worth

speaking of which, on my buy list is the tony lewin book, there is a new edition version (i believe you pictured both earlier) ....is there much content difference betwee the two?? is one better than the other??

i'm always amazed how fast so many design students can generate good looking drawings!? there must be other tricks & tips to learn about how they do that, like maybe some tracing is used (there single sketch couldn't have come out perfect first try??) and maybe templates for wheel placement at many different perspective angles??

my own ideation illustrating has so much trial/error in it, doing just ink line drawings lately, with the whole packing/moving/unpacking thing going on (everything packed up)
    ...and i know needs to improve, speed in particular, and so just absorbing all the reference material i can, and practise,practise,practise as you say ...that and learning the computer illustrating will resume after get things unpacked & set up more :D

i do yes very much so, thank you ....and now will have more space, a room for just artwork, including some beginning of sculpting ....i have on my goals list to practise and better develop my own illustrating skills before tackling a clay model
    ....trying to find local where correct clay can be purchased, but i think will have to get online? jerry might be good to ask where to get from?

my own process right now is to essentially go through the training steps in sequence, and learn better skills, like a design student would, then when ready to sculpt, have 1-2 of my own more developed designs to use :)

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You should probably invest in a set of ellipse guides for drawing wheels/tires.You can find them online.

You're correct,what some people do is draw then trace to make corrections.But many designers get the basic car right on the first shot,then do the design iterations.Whatever works for you.

17. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    i do, bought a few more actually (also packed still), just a pic of freehand sketching, more involved renderings is my next step, with office set up and materials out to do so

what can you say about the two editions of tony lewin books? thanks

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I think I only have the black cover edition.
    I'll check

19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    How old are you Jeremy?

I ask so I can know how to recommend learning.

At first blush I'd recommend you follow the above advice and draw, draw, draw! The reason those guys can draw excellent looking sketches is they've put in the hours so that its second nature. You have to each that level so you can then focus on design instead of drawing.

I use to fill every minute I had drawing. Anytime I picked up a pencil or pen I'd do hundred of ellipses focusing on major/minor axis so that it became second nature. I never used an ellipse template unless I was doing a finished rendering.

A quick crit of the above sketches is to focus on drawing FORM not lines. I can tell by those sketches that you are trying to define your forms linearly by using hard edges. You need to really study cars and see the subtly forms. Try loosely sketching with the side of your pencil to softly define form. Then go back and use the tip traditionally to define hard surface edges meeting or to emphasize body lines/graphic breakups.

Something I'd highly recommend is to practice figure drawing every chance you can. The best car designers are excellent figure sketchers because the soft definitions of the human body and muscle is very similar to a car.

I'm rambling so I'll stop. Give me more info and I'll try to offer some more specific info.

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #570 JeremyJon, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    oh, not young enough to enter design school now LOL :)

those are poor examples, just 2 minute doodles (no one seems to jus doodle anymore?) ...very different from when i sit down to do something proper ....i just finished moving so once i have my drawing/art room setup, will be able to get into that again properly!

was just pointing out how the "sketchs" you see online by design students/pros, just seem so polsihed, that i don't quite believe they are thier "doodles" if you know what i mean ;)

for my own self, after having a 12+ year gap in doing artwork, i'm gathering info & making myself practice from basics, my notion is to train myself in a more formal anner than in past being just self taught :)
    i'll shoot you a PM

21. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    oh, i didn't realize, okay thanks John ...i was just curious between the two :)
    going to buy a couple of books, one being the h*point book that you & scuderiawithstickplease pointed out

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    OK I guess I lied.....I do have both editions :D
    the black cover is from 2003 the white is from 2010
    just a quick glance through,I'd opt for the later version......7 years is a long time in the biz
    later when I get some more time,I'll look more closely at each one
    sorry for the confusion.................have way too many books in too many different places :)

23. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

that's cool, thank you for checking, the later edition it is! :)

24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    e-mail me your new address and I'll send you the 1st edition..............I realized I have 2 !!

then you can decide if you need the latest edition :)

25. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    sorry John, i didn't see this right away ....i got something to send to you once it's finished, i'll send my new addy with it! :D hope you guys are enjoying ths summer! :)