Can’t release “P” after the battery charge | FerrariChat

Can’t release “P” after the battery charge

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Broiler010, Aug 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Broiler010

Broiler010 Rookie

Mar 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    hiroaki hayashi
    My 2010 Cali.’s battery had died after 10 days of not driving. So I charged it with a charger and the engine had started, tie air, the stereo all work fine.

But the trunk doesn’t close nor the fuel lid doesn’t open, and the worst of all, I can’t release the parking brake that I can’t go anywhere.

Are there ways to solve this, or do I just wait till the battery gets charged more?
    I’ve been sitting like 20, 30 minutes with the engine running that it might even be out of gas before anything.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I would shut it down, disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes, reconnect, cross your fingers and restart.

Broiler010 likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep exactly. id actually just buy a new interstate battery and go from there. if that battery is original its overstayed its welcome by a long shot.

Broiler010, Fireman1291 and BOKE like this.
  4. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Try holding the key fob unlock and trunk release buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.

Broiler010 likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Then reconnect. Follow the reset procedure as shown in your owners manual, where there is a guide for resetting the system after having the battery disconnected.

If that does not work, I'm afraid you're looking at either having a tech come to you, or manually releasing the brake and then taking the car to the dealer.

But try a "hard" reset first with the battery disconnected for 10+ minutes. Reattach and follow the steps as oer your manual. It is very likely to fix it.

Broiler010 likes this.
  6. Broiler010

Broiler010 Rookie

Mar 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    hiroaki hayashi
    Thank you everyone!
    This is what I tried and worked.
    I shut the car off, left it for a few hours, and then opened the trunk, this time with the key remote,
    and it worked.
    And then for some reason, the button for the trunk and and the fuel lid by the seat, started to work as well.
    And then started the engine, and was able to release the parking brake too.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If you read the owners manual, you would see that you have to initialize the door lock system by locking and unlocking the doors after disconnecting the battery.
    Otherwise the trunk, fuel door release and top operation will be deactivated.

Broiler010 and BOKE like this.
  8. Broiler010

Broiler010 Rookie

Mar 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    hiroaki hayashi
    So it's more like "as it says in the manual" and not "for some reason"!!
    thank you very much :)

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I do agree that you might want to get a new battery OP. These cars are tricky when it comes to batteries, and my cars sit without chargers for longer than 10 days very often and they all start up. I keep a spare battery for all my cars and I have a shop type battery recycler that can also test the batteries ability to hold a charge

Broiler010 likes this.