Canon Camera's and lithium batteries? | FerrariChat

Canon Camera's and lithium batteries?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by aawil, May 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    In my owner's manual it says not to use them because they can overheat.Has anyone else had this problem or are they just trying to sell their rechargable setup.Mine's the powershot A75.I'd really like to use them because they should last longer then regular batteries.Rechargable's would be a pain because I'd need a power converter and all.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Aaron, i don't own a Canon, i have a Sony, but i put NOTHING BUT Energizer lithium batteries in it and not only do i NEVER have problems, but the lithiums last sooooooo long... Sometimes, i'll take close to 3 hundred pictures, then i'll thumb through them, over and over; then i'll show whoever i'm with... My camera can be on for an hour at a time, sometimes... i've NEVER had a problem with it... Lithium is definitely the way to go...

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Here's the scoop in lithiums, when you heat them up, they go boom! Under the right conditions, they have been known to explode. All electronics are tested with an operating temp range, ex: 23F - 104F. The camera is designed to work in a hot summer day, but those batteries are not.

The Nickel Metal Hydrides are your best bet and last longer too. You may get 154 pictures out of Alkalines, whereas, for example, you can get 510 pictures out of the NiMH

MSDS of sorts to the Energizer Lithium cell

MSDS Duracell

Exploding Li-Ion

Photography FAQ, Batteries

4. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I would say that you should stick to what canon reccomends. Carry extra batteries in your kit if you feel the need.

5. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  6. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

GABE............1000 % INCORRECT

FIRST OFF..LITHIUM BATTERIES ARE MAINLY USED FOR NON-TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED LOCATIONS...WHETHER IT BE BY THE EQUATOR OR THE NORTH POLE...THEY ARE USED PRIMARILY FOR THISE REASONS........THEY WILL NOT EXPLODE WITH TEMPS OF 180 F OR 50 BELOW...A FALICY.......

SECONDLY. NI-CADS OR NI-MED HYDRIDES WILL NEVER NEVER TAKE 150 OR SO PICTURES WITH A DIG CAMERA...THEY WILL WEAKEN AFTER APPROX 75 PICTURES AND CONTINUE TO DIE,,,,,,,,

BEST BET.........E2 ENERGIZER LITHIUMS.....ASK CARBON OR KENNY HERMAN ABOUT THEM!!!

NOT A BASH POST AGAINST GABE, BUT BEING IN THIS BUSINESS FOR 26 YRS... A KNOW A LITTLE SOMETING.

HOPE THIS HELPS, VICK

BRUCE

7. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Sounds like a should be alright with the lithium's.Thanks for your input Bruce.:)