Canadian Off Topic Thread | FerrariChat

Canadian Off Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by stax, May 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

1. .

2. .

3. .

4. .

5. .

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    Since the summer is here, thought i should start up a thread on good places to eat
    My dad and i go out almost every friday so I know quite a few restaurants, just thought i should post up good places and places to avoid. feel free to post up too just remeber to add the cuisine and approx location. lemme start. this mite be a bit long

Sotto Sotto
    Avenue Rd, just across from FoT, yorkville
    good food, okay service go there if u wanna see some celebs
    way overrated, heard good things but when we went in, wasnt up to what we expected... good, maybe just overhyped

Spuntini
    just above sotto sotto
    amazing food, okay service but the food was really good, dunno if there is an adjective better than amazing... also not all that expensive

Sassafraz
    look at my comments in the spotters thread

Annona
    Park Hyatt, Yorkville
    Good food, great service. waiter was a bit apprehensive cuz i was in jeans and a t-shirt first time we went there. but once we ordered, he knew that we were okay
    gone back a coupla times and have enjoyed it since

Jack Astors
    Many locations but the 1 on front st and university is the best
    went there with some school friends and had a blast
    about 15-20 of us, comped the drinks (mostly coke)
    amazing food, great service, nice waitresses

Tony Romas
    Mississauga (dundas and winston churchill)
    okay service, okay food
    not anything else to say, rather go swiss chalet for the ribs

The keg
    all the locations
    good food, good service
    great value for money

La mexicana
    Yonge just north of bloor st. west side
    one of my favorite restaurants in Toronto, i love mexican food an ther aren't too many good 1's here
    service is not that great, borderline terrible... dont go if your in a hurry
    but the food is soooo good. and the margarita's are quite good, im told
    amazin food, sub par service but very affordable
    try the fried ice-cream

Baton Rouge
    Heartland in Mississauga and downtown T.O.
    great steak, great service
    still prefer the one in Montreal... the wairtesses there... OMG

thts it
    having written soo much i realize that we can just go to toronto.com and get a review, but sometimes those are to P.C. here are my opinions straight up
    i will prob try a lot new places and will continue to add to this. and i hope that other ppl can add to these as well
    any q's... PM... btw dont ask me about the drinks or the wine or stufff. im stil in HS and dont drink... well not legally newayz...lol

2. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    The Octagon
    Yonge North of Steeles. The best service and steak in town.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Mcdonalds Walk up window..corner of Spidina and Queen Street...Excellent milkshakes, and happy meal toys...

4. MuJo

MuJo Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Joel R.
    Paese at Bathurst and Wilson. Great Italian food and service is great too. Very small place though and a booking is necessary.

Best,

Joel

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Damn....and you are still around to talk about it?! ;) That Mc'd's can get a lil rough at times. Well, that corner in general. LOL They even have that walk up window on the side LOL. Great for those convenient mid-day robberies I guess

Thats sooo shady.

6. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  7. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    Hemingways on Cumberland is pretty nice in the summertime. Sitting out on the patio just makes all of life's little concerns fade away. The food isn't bad and the prices are reasonable. I've noticed a decline in customer service though over the last few time I've been there. I can't remember the restaurant which is located directly beside Hemingways, but their food isn't bad at all either. I still need to try out the Avenue Bar & Grille (co-workers rave about it), and I'm in definite agreement about all points made about the Baton Rouge!

Now I just need to try all the restaurants you've all suggested.

8. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    I second the Octagon recommendation.... I've been going there with my family for years, amazing steaks and fabulous service.

My Fav. restaurant in T.O is Opus (located on Prince Arthur in Yorkville), the have the best rack of lamb I have ever had and they have the largest wine list in Ontario.

9. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I was just at Hemingway's last week! I get there about once a month and always run into people I know.

A few of my faves:

Rain
    Xacutti
    Didier (for fantastic French cuisine)
    the Ultra
    Jamie Kennedy
    Canoe (you still can't go wrong there)
    Lobby (for lunch, anyway)

10. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Paese at Bathurst and Wilson

I used to eat there all the time, and would agree about the food.

However, one night while waiting for a table, I witnessed the most disgracefull display of racisim I have seen in years (I won't get into details), on the part of the rest. mgmt.. It was so blatant and casual, that I swore I would never eat there again...and I haven't since. None of my friends will either after I related this situation to them, as well.

You'd think we've come along way since that crap....but apparently not!

11. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    George

Perigee

Susur

Senses

12. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    OPUS! The number 1 wine list in Canada apparently. (Portuguese owned - hah sorry, I had to) Beautiful place. Havent been there yet.

Tom, Hemmingways is cool. Awesome rooftop patio(s) probably the biggest set-up in town. The place next door is Called Dimmi. Never been there. And if your co-workers are talking about "The Avenue Diner" on Davenport (at Avenue) then they are right. I am not a burger person but they have the best sandwiches. They have pics of all kinds of celebs that have visited.

Vasco

13. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Susur Lee apparently is one of Canada's top chef's. CLAX have you gone to his latest place almost directly next door, named after his first name "LEE"? Looks good from the outside LOL.

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The 1 a quater expensive meal thats a fav for us is North 44 Yonge/Eg, north of eg about a block or two. Valet parking, great atmoshere and nice exotic type foods. Many sports stars attend, and the private dinning area for events is in the wine cellar area. Need large to attend that function. If you have $150.00 per person to burn with light alcohol consumption, you should give it a try.....and dont forget to call ahead RSVP only.

On a lighter note, the family fav is Grazie also on Yonge and Eg, get there early if you plan on the weekends, it gets pretty rammed. The pasta, is the way it should be.

15. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Cool that you have mentionned that Big guy. Never ate there but I pass by there alot and its ALWAYS packed. I guess thats a good sign. Good to see the REAL pasta being made. If in that area and Grazie is too packed, you can head west on Eglinton and stop at FERRARO's. Been there a couple of times and their Italian dishes are awesome as well as their home made bread!

Directly across the street from Ferraro is AUTO GRILL, I havent been but heard its also good. Very Ital-Euro with an Auto-enthusiast touch on the decor complete with Vespa's parked outside.

Ok, all this food talk is making me hungry. Im off!

Vasco

16. MuJo

MuJo Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Joel R.
    Thanks for your note about this. This is not acceptable. I haven't been there in a while, but while racism is totally disgusting, I'm sure there are moments in every high end restaurant that we never see or hear about. I'm not denying what you saw and heard, but I'm just saying that it can happen anywhere unfortuatelly.

Best,

Joel

17. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Yes, I've been to Lee, and unfortunately it was a disappointment compared to Susur. Although they are both owned by Susur Lee, he is the chef at Susur, while there is a different chef at Lee.

18. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    This is a pretty good list of 'date' places, but what about places like Duff's Wings, Sneaky Dee's, Dangerous Dan's Diner, etc.

19. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Anyone suggest a place around the "rogers center" or near by or something. Im going to be coming out to toronto as a tourist and were going to see a jays game or two. Any suggestions?

20. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Check out Gretzky's, at 99 Blue Jay Way, only a 5 min walk from the Rogers Center. A bit pricey, but decent food, a great patio, and a ton of memorabilia and items that make a great shrine to number 99.

Also in the area, Peel Pub (King, near John) is good if your on a budget, Hooters (Adelaide and John) also has a nice rooftop patio (among other things), and if thats not enough there's a good selection around Front and University (Jack Astors, the Loose Moose, etc.)

21. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    anyone know what concessions are like at Rogers Center? just before in case I get hungry or something

22. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Expensive. Very, very expensive. Was at the Jays' game the other night against the Red Sox. Two slices of pepperoni pizza and a 500ml bottle of water - $12. Young lady at the counter was able to look me right in the eye when she said it, too. Figure that might cost me $5-6 anywhere else on the planet, but not at SkyDome (sorry, I will never refer to it as the RC). Oh yeah, beer is $6.50.

Moral of the story - do not eat there. There are a million nice restaurants within a 10-minute walk of the Dome, the quality of the food will be good and you won't need to remortgage the bungalow. Aside from others mentioned, King St. between Spadina and University is laden with them.

Cheers,

Neil

23. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    12 bucks for two slices of pizza and some water? thats expensive. Looks like im heading to a restuant. Thanks for the info guys

24. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Just tried Chehoski last night, Queen West. Highly recommended.

25. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    TORONTO, Ontario (AP) A judge Wednesday lifted all restrictions against a woman who served 12 years in prison for her role in the rape and murder of three teenagers, considered one of Canada's most notorious crimes. The ruling by Quebec Superior Justice James Brunton means Karla Homolka, who was convicted of manslaughter in 1993, does not have to report regularly to police, can go where she wants and see whomever she pleases.

have been following the case and was curious as to your opinions.