Canadian MSRP 458 Italia | FerrariChat

Canadian MSRP 458 Italia

Discussion in 'Canada' started by raw tubor, Apr 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raw tubor

raw tubor Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2007
    For those following posts on the 458, we've been informed the cost in Europe, in Euro's will equate to about US$238K, with prices in the US confirmed to be around US$231K (plus some additional small charges). Prices for options are also available in US$, adding up to about $25K for a rather basic set of options, $50K for more expansive options, for example carbon fibre stuff, and up to $100K for the full monty.

Now with the Cdn$ and US$ at parity, and with a trend near parity for the last few months now, one wonders what MSRP will be for the Italia in Cdn. dollars. Does anyone have an informed guess of the base MSRP in Cdn$, given the US figure is about US$231K?

Seems rather absurd that some F clients in Canada have been spec'ing their 458s, and that orders have been submitted, with clients almost completely in the dark about prices. Can't imagine a more divine situation for retailers than to be selling to eager customers without a price tag. That's market heaven, but not for the client of course.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    One source said 250k CDN base price for the 458. The price has to account for the Canadian import duty to. Nothing is official yet, however some people already paid a big premium in advance to be towards the front of the line here with their order.
    CH

3. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Good luck with that! The 430 Spider listed at 296,000.00 before you started adding options, there's no way a 458 is going to be priced under the previous model.

4. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Traditionally, I too would have bet on pricing being higher than the outgoing model -- but the Canadian dollar is the wild card this year -- that could really throw a monkey wrench into the equation.

A high dollar with the 430 never impacted Canadian prices for the longest time because the significantly lower US MSRP for a 430 was always offset by US $ premiums over MSRP that offset the MSRP difference making virtually no sense to import into Canada....but the world is a different place now

The handful of Canadian dealers are a drop in the FNA bucket -- so I don't think FNA is influenced too much by what these dealers have to say.

Remember in 08 when they provided a hidden price drop in the F430's by including $20K ceramics as a no cost option on Canadian models.

I visualize the pricing to be higher than the current f430 by$1,000 or so -- too save face -- but to include WAY more options

5. Pierrh

Pierrh Rookie

Apr 24, 2010
    Does anyone really know what is Ferrari's North America pricing policy for Canada?
    What is the pricing logic? Is it really related to the US vs CDN dollar? Are Ferraris priced in US for Canada plus premium?...anyway if msrp logic follow the California pricing which is 192m US msrp and 230m$ US for the 458 you should expect the cdn price to be around 290.
    We pay like a 20% premium plus transport, gas guzzler and 6% custom. So find out what is the California exact Canadian msrp and add 35-40 m to it. Most luxury car maker charge a 15-20% premium for Canada.

6. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Someone's dad on here has one of the first ones coming and If I recall correctly he said it should be right around $250,000 nicely optioned.

7. Pierrh

Pierrh Rookie

Apr 24, 2010
    I heard the same thing from someone that has one in order. 250$ base price
    ...if this happen to be the final base price...a big if...since its cheaper than the California cdn base price.... the California actual base price 33 US cheaper? 192 vs 225 i got from on the 458 chat. I would be surprise to see them LOWER the California price ...but everything is possible and maybe for once we will benefit from our stronger loonie! ...at 225 plus 6% custom transport and gas guzzler we add it up to THE 250!! Makes sense??
    That brings me to my first question earlier...What is Ferrari N.A. pricing policy for Canadian car???

8. robbreid

robbreid Karting

Feb 25, 2007
    I notice that several people have stated guys have F458's on order, including a F-driver at my local gym who told me he put 50k down on one.

This morning I was talking to a F430 driver, and I mentioned the above, he said that Ferrari aren't even taking orders until September??

So can you actually order one now or not??, just curious.

9. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    I don't think that's true, the guy I was talking about a few posts above said he was GETTING his in September!

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Some people already donated money to a charity for the chance to order an early delivey 458 in Ontario. This event was done with the help of FNA. How early is the question but September would seem reasonable. These people will receive the first cars sold into Ontario. The rest will depend on the allocation numbers available but Ferrari seems to be taking orders farther ahead of a delivery date than for past models.
    CH

11. robbreid

robbreid Karting

Feb 25, 2007
    Thanks for the update.

rob.

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    De-ja vu?

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Nice way to support the charity and Remo doesn't have to decide who gets the first one. Three cars was a result of 3 serious bidders the first time years ago. They said why not one car for each person at the current high bid and FNA said OK. So it's 3 cars and more money for charity than if only one car was offered.
    CH

14. raw tubor

raw tubor Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2007
    It's hard to say when we'll see a 458 in the flesh. My understanding is there have been two rounds of placed orders. The first round took place about 3 months ago, with dealers in Canada allowed to place ONE order only. That one order would likely go to a top priority F customer and would imply a build date about May and a delivery day by, say, mid-July. The second round took place about 3 weeks ago, with dealers in Canada allowed to place about 3-4 more orders. The implied build date is mid-June, with delivery in late august (east coast), September (west coast). On each of these 'two rounds', approximately 10% of the value of the car (though MSRP is still not confirmed for Canada yet) had to be put down. I believe that 10% would be 'lost' were the buyer to walk and/or not accept the ordered car for some reason. Unknown is the impact that delays at the factory might have, involving rumors of some 'general' delays, as well as rumors of delays affecting cars that have ordered the 'front end elevating' option. If all doesn't go well, expect Cdn 458s to arrive just in time to be stored in the garage for winter.

15. Sparro

Sparro Karting

Dec 29, 2005
    I was at FOO about a week ago and they said it was about 285ish base price. Sorry I don't remember the exact price.

They also said that they don't honour the warranty on US cars from 2009 on!

16. MikeF08

MikeF08 Rookie

Jun 22, 2008
    Chinook Country
    Any information on Canadian price for this car, list of options/prices, availability ?

17. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Threads merged.

18. Rorie

Rorie Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Two 458's arrived at FOO on Friday. One of those two showed up at the Yorkville car show on Saturday. I never asked price, but obviously it's been decided if two people have already picked their's up.

19. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    A gent in Calgary has had his car for a few weeks now. He was one of the few who did the charity thing. The car has been spotted all over town, and he even had it out at the track. Seeing the Alberta thread for photos/video.

20. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    My Dad 's arrived last week. Apparantly it is quite the machine.... damn, I might need to fly up to T.O to take it for a spin.

I still haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but Ferrari of Tampa will be bringing one to an event in Naples tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that!

21. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    ^Look what the cat dragged in! Enjoying the beaches, amigo? :D

22. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    LOL, I still lurk around this section now and then. Definately still enjoying the beaches, let me know if you ever make it down to this neck of the woods. Beers are on me.

23. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    #23 shawsan, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    buy

24. raw tubor

raw tubor Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2007
    OK, with 458s now arriving with sticker sheets, the facts are now available. What follows is an attempt to summarize some of the key information, raise some questions.

1. The MSRP for Cdn 458s is $280,000. This compares with $225K for US cars, or a mark up of 1.24.

2. Add environmental levy of $4K and transport and dealer prep of $3.85K (depending on destination), and price to the Cdn consumer before taxes is about $288K. Add 12% HST and 3% luxury tax, and the price of a standard, NO OPTION, 458 is $330K.

3. The option list is extensive, with the total cost of a FULLY optioned car being another $104K. Based on an average comparison of the combined cost of 10 major options (like sport wheels, premium hi-fi etc), the mark up on options for a Canadian car is 1.21 that of a US car. Costly options always hit the initial buyer HARD but are often not very significant to buyers during re-sale – iow, buyers of 2nd hand cars will benefit considerably from well optioned cars but not pay the heavy initial hit.

4. Assuming most owners will buy cars with about 1/3 the cost of the options, puts the value of a 458 (including taxes) at about $371K. This does not exclude bigger expenses of ‘out of range paint colors’ (add another $10K)

5. If a car was FULLY OPTIONED, it would cost –including taxes - $455K

Questions:

While no one will like the size of the mark-ups, what justification do you think dealers will offer. OK, you may say 6% duty is part of it; but don’t US cars contain some % for US duty as well?

To what extent will the $55K mark up of Cdn Italia’s over US Italia’s work against Cdn dealers? Sure, 458s may be great and in short supply for awhile, but in a year’s time some will be coming on ebay near US MSRP. And imagine if the 458 that comes up for sale is heavily optioned as well.

25. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#25 Kds, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    Forget about options and taxes for a moment.......and assume both cars are spec'd the same as base models, which may be the case.

$225K USD MSRP x 1.05 FOREX.......X 1.061 DUTY.......+ $4,000 enviro tax.......+ $3,850 dealer prep.......+ $2,500 freight.......$100 AC excise tax.......+$200 RIV......equals $262K CAD + TAXES for a US 458 imported to Canada......versus our base MSRP of $288K + taxes equals a $26K gouge to the Canadian buyer.......

Ouch !!!