Canada major news stories | FerrariChat

Canada major news stories

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MS250, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I think it's a great idea to create a thread to combine all major Canada news events into one thread.

Great way to get us together and talk about what's going on across the country.

The biggest news we have today pressing is the fires. Let's hope we can win this more quickly.

The cost of the Fort McMurray fire - CBC News | The National

2. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
  3. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Everyone's got a hard on for asbestos... Don't breathe it in. Case closed.

4. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  5. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    On Wikipedia it is written that he is on "leave of Absence" fom the House of Lords...I thought they gave him the boot? Could he get back in?

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Okay, so maybe this fits in, in somewhat of a way but I'd like people's opinion/answers on what I've seen lately.

Turning 40 recently, I guess I can consider myself an "old man" now and not perfectly current with pop-culture trends.

I've noticed lately young women sporting unusual hair colour; dyed completely white with highlights of pastel colours (split amongst them typically pink or blue). The 20-something couple living next door is an example. She has been brunette for all of this time and as of two weeks ago, she went white overnight and then the next day, was blue. In the baby-picture scandal on the news last week, the one woman at the centre of the scandal was white/pink.

What am I missing? How did this trend start... And for the love of God, why?

7. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    The hair trend never left. Funky colours are just the flavour of the month for self-expression.

Rewind 10-15 years ago it was frosted tips.

8. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    HMMM....

Its interesting that Canada almost never makes the world news... or the US news... Or the british news...

You guys must be really mellow. Its almost like you don't exist on the world news stage...

Except for your leader popping up randomly in the news... Never hear about shootings, abortion, random violence, gangs, starvation, poverty...

Odd...

9. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    We in Canada have issues: random shootings in Toronto, Trudeau taking a day off to celebrate his anniversary while in Japan, Raptors still in and tying up traffic because of fan attendances, gas now at $1.11/liter = $5.37 USD/gallon (using 1.22 exchange rate). But our Prime Minister wears his hair better than your soon to be new President.

10. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  11. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Correct Big Red. That one is sad. Really like their music and trumps (no offence to US politics) Justin's hair.

12. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    They do it to get noticed, and to justify their anger at being excluded from well-paying jobs. You know: I am an individual and should be treated as such regardless of how inappropriate I look to your customers.

As to 40 being old, my life started at 40 :) Now at 68 it is fabulous. We do get better with age (although some parts of our bodies not so much)

13. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hope your net worth calculations are more accurate.

Fuel is consistently less expensive in St C. but I suggest you use a proper calculator (Canadian/US Gas Price Converter - Todd's "Computer" Place) for the fuel prices. $1.11/l is US$3.27/gal at .78 exchange rate. We filled up today at USD2.37/g in Niagara Falls NY which is approx. CA$0.80/l. We often see .87/l here so not too big a gap.

14. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Hi Gerrit. LOL. I have no net worth....I intend to leave the same way I arrived. The better half and I already signed over to the kids with life tenancy in place.

Let me recheck the math calculations:

1) 3.8 liters per US gallon.
    2) According to Statistics Canada, in April 2016, the average price of gas in Toronto was 1.023/liter and Montreal 1.094. A few days ago I was in Montreal and the price had increased to $116.9/liter. Today I filled up in Toronto and the price was $1.109. On the highway Enroute stations it was $114.9. According to CBC, the prices in Newfoundland are up to $1.22/liter. Gasbuddy.com has gas prices in Vancouver currently at $1.189. As such, we are looking at approximately $1.15/liter across Canada.
    3) According to the Bank of Canada, as of May 20th, the exchange rate was $1.309 Canadian to USD.

Based on the above, the more accurate calculation is $1.15/liter x 3.8 liters x 1.309 exchange rate = $5.72. I was feeling better at my initial ball park calculation of $5.37! In USA you folks pay about $2.37 x 1.309 = $3.10 Canadian/gallon = 54% of what we pay.

15. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Oh lord make it stop

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    True, it's always been around, but I was curious to see what the source of this specific colour trend came from (musical or TV/movie personality). I used to know what was happening, but I find pop culture gets more annoying and weird as time passes. Some of the latest woman pop stars look absolutely beautiful without their stage personas (or before they became famous).

Gerrit, I totally agree...

17. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I was always a much bigger fan of 54-40 than the 'Hip, but I was really saddened to hear this news.

I'm also surprised that he isn't pursuing immunotherapy, as there is a clinical trial going on in the U.S. with Polio that is proving remarkable. 60 Minutes ran a follow-up story to this about two weeks ago (unless Health Canada hasn't approved trials yet...).

One of my fave songs from the 'Hip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QDjDPRF5c

18. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    It depends what your news source is.

This year has been a record year for gang violence in the major cities (Toronto and Vancouver specifically). Surrey B.C. - a suburb of Vancouver - has experienced so far 40 murders this year (if I remember the stat. correctly). A staggering high amount per capita (I wouldn't be surprised if it rivals some large American cities).

Drugs, sex and stolen goods: Population grows on vice-ridden Surrey 'Strip'

19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The guys in 54-40 a few years ahead, they all went to my high school. Canadian musician Jerry Doucette sons in my school same age group as me. So he played our after grad party and brought along 54-40. He kind of mentored them after hearing them play a dance at our school while still students of South Delta. 54-40 one of them lived next door to my friend. But we just herd them practice. They where in high school and my friend and I still in grade 6 at the time. So they didn't pay us any attention. Good band that should have made it!

Trudeau one really ruined Canadian artists from becoming very successful because of the idiot Canadian content laws!

20. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Cool story about 54-40. Yes, it's too bad they didn't achieve as much success as other major groups. On the other hand, it probably kept them more grounded.

As for Can-Con, it's a noble concept, but like anything that the government does, it has it's flaws. It's ironic that all of the biggest Canadian music acts found their fame and success by going down to the U.S. - something Can-Con was supposed to guarantee minimum air time on Canadian air waves for Canadian artists, they would have been heard anyways (if it was popular enough) if there was no Can-Con! Going back to 54-40 and how hypocritical Can-Con is, I always hear "I Go Blind" by Hootie and the Blowfish on local stations instead of them playing 54-40! Grrrr....

21. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    True. But the big problem the bands that made it in the U.S. had the financial backing to do it. American radio doesn't like playing Canadians because of Can-Con. Most of the big clubs in NYC and LA, its pay to play. So lots of Canadians can't afford to go down and do it early in their careers. The ones that make it in Canada without paying their do's in the U.S. get ignored by the U.S. music industry. From the Payolas, Art Bergman, TPOH, Bare Naked Ladies, Spirit of The West, etc. All got basically snubbed in the U.S.

22. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I suppose, but could it also be the examples you chose, weren't "American"-sounding enough? You gotta admit they all have a distinct sound not typical of period U.S. artists. BNL made U.S. headlines more for Steven Page's cocaine bust than their music (admittedly which happened on U.S. soil. In Canada?...).

Getting back on topic, heard this happening today in Montreal:

High-ranking Montreal mobster Rocco Sollecito killed | CTV News

23. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Automotive related news:

Lamborghini burnt to a crisp on Highway 99, causes traffic delay | Globalnews.ca

It'll be interesting to learn what lead up to this event. Although not impossible to believe considering the amount of plastics involved in car-construction, but it's still impressive the size of the fire considering how wet it was today. Man did it RAIN (that alone should have been able to put out the fire ;) )...

24. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'll admit. I ignore almost all Canadian news. I have Direct TV and listen to Sirius XM when driving most times. Sometimes I scan the local paper and Vancouver Sun. For the most part I've given up on Canada, a long time ago!

25. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    On the hair. On young people I'm fine with it. As they get older, these things should be outgrown by 20. I've seen old lady's doing it and it looks ridiculous. Hair color can be changed. The one big no for me is tattoo's. Absolutely hate them. I switched bank branches because one of the tellers has both arms covered. And I was tired of avoiding her.