Can you rent a car in California if you are under 25? | FerrariChat

Can you rent a car in California if you are under 25?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Ferrari0324, Jan 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I know in most states, here in NJ, you need to be 25 to rent a car. However, some companies allow you to pay a little more per day if you aren't 25. Is the same in California? I'm visiting my cousin in April and would like to rent a car to visit a few other places. I'll be 23 at the time.

If so, how much extra is it?

2. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    according to the ERAC website they do

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
  4. 07F430Spider

07F430Spider Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Target the smaller companies, you'll increase your odds.

5. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    If in doubt U-Haul. Only have to be 18. Saved me many times in my teenage years.

6. sport23b

sport23b Rookie

May 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It depends on what type of car. As long as its not a Ferrari or Lambo, most places will let you.

7. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    It varies between Rental agencys its $15-$25 per day.. Whenever you touch a rental car make sure you add the dammage waver + the rental car insurance. reason being its a zero deductiable should any thing happen. Before you take off in a rental car do a through check up on the car or truck you rent. This means tires / oil / fluids. Caught way to many times rental car agencys skimp on service and mantinance on the cars and trucks that are rented out to its customers. Also check if the car has the spare tire. on a couple of occassions I have checked my self and there was no spare or the wrong one from another vehicile.

Just remember the drivers in So. Cal are just as bad as the drives are in NY/NJ.

8. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    That's actually a really good idea if someone really needed a car.

Just a regular compact size car.

Looks like they charge about $30 for underage, still only comes out to about $121 for 4 days, not too bad. I'll have to get the additional coverage. I drove out to California from NJ last year and i could tell people were driving the way I was used too. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not though ;) .

9. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I've rented from Enterprise multiple times and I'm 23. When you book it says that you will be charged extra for being under age, but I have yet to have been actually charged this extra fee. I don't even bother shopping for any other rental car company. Enterprise FTW.

10. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.

just haggle them on the price and get an upgrade.

11. CApg4

CApg4 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    Curtis
    I've rented a Ferrari 355 when i was in Las Vegas and im 21 years old, and i had no problems.

12. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    I work for ERAC, so if you need a car, I'll hook it up ;) I just need to know where you'll be needing to rent from. Send me a PM if you need help.