Can the trunk of a 456 open from outside? | FerrariChat

Can the trunk of a 456 open from outside?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by joelk, Nov 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joelk

joelk Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Hi there,

Proably another daft question for you all, but would appreciate any advice / knowledge...

Can the trunk (boot) of a Ferrari 456 GT (1994) be popped from outside of the car? OR is the only way to open the lock, to flick the switch inside. (Sometimes, it can be inconvienient, eg when loading bags, etc). Perhaps by pressing the remote locking buttons a certain way, or other secret technique?

Had the car for a month now. Absolutely love it! Just need to plan ahead when using the boot...

Thanks,

Joel

2. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    the switch on the console is the only way to normally open the trunk, but there is an emergency release cable just below and in front of the drivers side rear seat cushion (near the floor), it may be tucked under the carpet but its there in case the switch or the solenoid fail.
    regards, zack

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have yet to own a Ferrari where the trunk can be opened from the outside. Is this still true on the 550 and 360?

My 456 came with an aftermarket remote which only disables the alarm. I considered having the second button wired to open the trunk, but decided that the italian wiring was probably stressed enough without that addition.

4. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    550 is just the same it sounds like. Must click the switch on the dash to open it. No way of doing it from the outside. It is a bit of an inconvenience, but what the hell.

5. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    My 1990 Mondial T has a similar dash mounted opening button, but it also has another opening button next to the handbrake, which it the one that I used most of the time as it's much more convenient. I'd like something similar on my 1995 456.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Maranello Skunkworks member Dave rigged up a remote for his trunk. Do a search.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #7 2NA, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    I have a 550 in the shop now. There's a trunk release T-handle hiding under the corner of the carpet, on the package shelf behind the driver's seat. There's a picture on page 2.49 of the Owner's Manual.