Can a Ferrari salesperson afford a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Can a Ferrari salesperson afford a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KevinW, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've always wondered this question:

Does a salesperson at a Ferrari dealership make enough money to actually afford the cars they sell?

And how does one become a salesperson anyway? I would assume the interview process is pretty intense. (And no, I'm not trying to get a job at Ferrari) :)

Anyone?

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    While anything is possible, I doubt it. Car sales is car sales. If income is the primary reason for being a car salesman then I would much rather sell Toyota or Ford than Ferrari.

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Judging by the Ferrari salespeople that I've known over the years, I'd have to say no. They don't seem to make any more money than salespeople of other makes. The commission may (or may not) be higher than on a normal car but you have to consider sales volume. They may sell one or two in a month. Some of my guys here sell 25 cars in a month. I'd be willing to bet that my guys do better.

4. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So how exciting can it possibly be then to only sell a few cars a month? I mean, a salesperson at a "regular" car dealership probably see a good amount of customers per day. How many people a day could a Ferrari dealership actually have come into their showroom?

I would think the most exciting part about their job is probably being around beautiful cars everyday and working with a very unique customer base. Other than that, it sounds like it could actually (dare I say?) boring? Maybe I'm completely wrong about this?

It must also be a killer not being able to afford one since they're around them everyday.

Thanks for the replies...this has been a question of mine for quite some time.

Kevin

5. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Ask yourself this, Can the salesperson at Tiffany's afford the diamond rings they sell!

6. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    I met a salesman at a party about 2 years ago. He told me that he was
    selling exotic cars at a dealer in Beverly Hills. He said he used to sell Toyota's. He also told me he was trying to get back his old job.

7. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Friend of mine did all the yea or ney for prospective Taco Bell franchisees yet he couldn't qualify for one if he tried.

8. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It didn't happen to be Symbolic Motors in Beverly Hills was it? I used to drive past that dealership everyday and drool at the inventory in their windows.

9. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I sold 'em for a while, and the answer is yes/no. Depends on the salesperson.

When I frist started selling them, it was possible to make $22k on a 360 Spider sale. After salepeople started taking four months off after a 360 sale, the owners cut the max commision to $6k per car, regardless of the commision.

We sold F-cars, P-cars, and Audis. F-cars (used) would usually net about $1k in comms, a new F-car about $4k. A Boxster would yield around $500, and a 911 anywhere from $2k - $5k (for Turbos.)

There were about two guys there that had big money, but a lot of it was family cash.

On average, an F-car salesperson would probably make anywhere from $5k - $10k/month.

But, that'll buy a 308 or Mondial!

10. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

Like every other field of endeavor....it depends how many cars they sell. I know for certain that during the late 90s a few Fcar salesmen sold upwards of 20-25 cars/month (both new and used). Today may be another story.

11. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    The salesman worked at Symbolic motor cars.

12. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    The strange thing about most of the Ferrari salespeople is that they will probably never be able to afford an F-car but they also treat most prospective customers like they can't afford it either. When I went to Ferrari of Atlanta, I had to show Steve Eckhoff a card from the dealer in Jackson, MS that referred him to me in order for him to even start talking to me seriously. He almost tripped over himself to work with me then. Go figure.

13. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That reminds me of the people who work at high-end retail stores like Armani and talk to you like you are below them. It always cracked me up...afterall, who's the one that has to work in retail here? Gimme a break.

Speaking of Symbolic Motors in Beverly Hills and salespeople who sell them -- I spoke with an older gentleman who worked there about a 355 they had and he didn't talk down to me at all...very pleasant to deal with. Like anyone, it depends on the person you talk to.

14. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    Interesting thread: a question I get asked from time to time. There are models I can afford, and models I cannot and could never afford. It's all relative. The monetary reward is very good, but what is better is being able to meet guys like you, help you, and watch your faces smiling ear to ear as you drive off in your F-cars. The owners/enthusiasts we meet make it worthwhile and alot of fun! Helping someone make their life-long dream come true? Priceless. Sorry to hear that some of you have had less than great experiences with F-salespeople. We are here to serve you, not the other way around.

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

How much work you put in to it will have a significant effect on your income.

Sit on your ass in any showroom while waiting for "ups" to walk in and "lay down" doesn't cut it for more than $2-3K a month if you are lucky........

Work properly and prospect, all the while building a client base by creating rapport and genuine relationships, as opposed to viewing every person as your next bag of groceries makes an enormous difference.

I'm looking for a TR soon.

16. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I think any middle-class citizen with a stable income can afford a Ferrari.

The question is would they buy one? I dont see a reason why if they can drive any car in the showroom.

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The car business is a weird business. The top 20% of the salespeople make 80% of the money, while the others make none. Most exotic car dealers have flat commisions they pay on exotics, while normal makes, Benz,Bmw,Vw etc do not. So the experienced salespeople can make much more. I can tell you as fact, top salesperson at Champion Porsche, makes 250,000 consistently, owns a 355, a 911 and Jag Xke. In my old dealer, most Bmw salespeople made 80-100K, while the top guys were making 160-180,000. Same goes for Benz.

18. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I concur with allanlambo. The local MB sales people all make between 100-200 k per year. Their top mechanic, over a hundred k.

I feel that most people can afford just about anything they want if they are willing to work that hard and put other things lower on the list.

aehaas

19. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Sort of taking this question a different direction, is it possible for an 18 year old to find a sales job? I dont know how many people would want to buy an exotic or sports car from a guy my age...I probably woudlnt myself...but Im just curious. I am looking for a job right now.

20. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Jordan - Anything is possible, but don't count on it.

Selling an F-car is really no different than selling a Toyota. The customers, while they make significantly more, do not just throw their cash away, and they grind like the rest of them. The biggest difference between selling high-end and mainstream is the amount of traffic that crosses the doors each day.

That said, anyone can sell an F-car, as anyone can sell a Toyota. The thing is, most exoctic stores won't even look at your resume until you've got a lot of experience.

For example, I first tried to get a job at FOC in Dec 1999. There was one salesperson there, and he was making great cash. He said that he needed another person to help with the load.

At the time, I had about two years of sales experience, one of them as a manager. I tried, tried, tried to get that job, but no luck. It took another year for me to get anywhere, and it was because of my experience that got me in the door. While I had never sold high-end, I was, at the time, the General Sales Manager of main-stream store, which is a pretty high-end job. I had to give up an income of $10k - $15k a month just to be able to sell F-cars.

If you want to sell them, my advice is to get a job at a Ford store or something and get a feel for the sales market. Give it two or three years of strong performances, and then give the F-car market a try.

Not that it never happens, but unless you've got some serious experience under your belt, your chances are next to zero.

21. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I have met multiple sales people for Ferrari who can afford and own Ferraris, including the vintage and modern models.

--Dan

22. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I can verify what Allan posted. At least I heard the same thing years ago. The top salesman at Champion Porsche was making $250,000 in 1996 when the only product they had was the 911. This what I was told by another employee while I was getting my car serviced. Damn!

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Take it from me, sell cars other than Fcars, make more money, and drive an Fcar to work. Much more rewarding. You can sbsolutely get a sales job at 18.

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm not saying I want to do this. I have no interest whatsoever - I'm doing more than fine w/o it, thanks. Just saying that there are in fact Ferrari salesmen who can afford their own.

--Dan