Camera Experts: Need help evaluating price for Leica M3 Double Stroke Camera | FerrariChat

Camera Experts: Need help evaluating price for Leica M3 Double Stroke Camera

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Mike328, May 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi guys,

My grandfather, back in the day, was very much into photography, say as we are into Ferraris. My father came across a complete kit of Leica camera gear, now for sale on eBay and other places. Though we've taken an educated guess at what it might be worth, I told my dad that I would check here to see if anyone more knowledgable might have any insights on what these items are worth.

The tricky thing is, I've done research on the prices for the individual components, but I'm really struggling to understand the value of these as a kit with all the original, vintage lenses of the era. Also I'm having trouble valuating just how much one-owner, personal equipment is worth--kind of like with our Ferraris, documented, known-history, one-owner cars command a premium.

Here's the description we have for it, taken from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3818473883:

This beautiful, like new Leica and the accessories are being offered as a collection. It belonged to my Dad and the excellent, almost new condition is a due to the meticulous care he took of all of his cameras. This one, however, was his favorite and he was very proud of it. He didn’t use it very often, only on special occasions.

The camera is a Leica M3 DS (SN 841635) with 50mm F1.5 Summarit, 90 mm F2.8 Elmarit and 135 mm F4.5 Hector lenses. Also included is a Visoflex attachment with OUBIO converter, Leica Meter MC (not working), Leica bayonet-screw mount adapter, lens hood IUFOO for 90 mm lens, lens hood for 50 mm lens, lens extension tube, carrying case, instruction booklets and associated literature, including a hardcover Leica manual, some original boxes and a carrying and storage case.

All pieces are in excellent condition, having been used very little. This is one owner equipment and is being sold as a set; the entire ensemble is good as a user or as a collection.

All camera controls are crisp and responsive. The viewfinder is clear and the rangefinder is aligned and of proper contrast. Shutter and timer are functional. Shutter speeds sound correct. Lenses are like new. Visoflex and other accessories are also like new. The original leather camera case comes with it; however, it has deteriorated somewhat due to age.

The camera has minor burnish mark on the hot shoe from a shoe-mounted flash. There are some very minor burnish marks and scratches on top and bottom plates. The sides have no marks at all. There is no damage or wear on the Vulcanite, which is original. The strap lugs show no wear.

Please feel free to email with any questions you may have regarding this equipment. I will answer all inquiries.

Bidding to start at $100, with a very reasonable reserve. Good luck in the auction!

Here are some pictures, showing its condition. It really was used very little. The final thing I'm trying to understand is the value of this set as a collectible set, given its near-mint condition, as opposed to a "working" camera.

Thanks for your thoughts on this...

--Mike

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Oooh, my dad has one of those and various accessaries. Nice camera IF the shutter speed/etc works on the camera. The light meter is probably toast though and not really fixable. Voightlander makes a light meter very similar tho :)

3. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    I am a big Leica fan, and think your stuff looks great. I cannot resist commenting.
    The M3 is THE leica, regarded by many as the best ever. The single stroke is preferred by many over the DS, however. You mentioned that there were some burnish marks and a few scratches. Leica collectors are a fanatical bunch: scratches on a Leica are like miles on a garage queen F40. The three lenses are a nice complement,. and I anm sure, if they are indeedclean with no cleaning marks, fog or fungus, that they will take great pics. A collector is more likely, for the 50mm size to want a Summicron (or noctilux), as opposed to the Summarit. On the other hand yous is non collapsible, which is a nice feature, in my opinion. I can't spea to the Elmarit. I don't honestly know if it is the same as Elmar or not. I have a 90mm Elmar screw mount which takes great pictures. The Hektor is a nioce lens, but is kinda at the bottom of the pile value-wise. I bought a mint Hektor in a case not too long ago for $135, and I probably paid too much, but I use it, and it takes great pictures. The extension tubes, hoiods and Visoflex are nice features as well, as are the books and manuals (like when you buy a Testarossa, it's nice to get the books). As was mentioned in someone else's response, the meter isn't much. I understand that some people repair them, but even when working those old selenium cell meters are not highly valued.

You don't mention the condition of the shutter curtains. They tend to get brittle and crack over the years. If the camera has been stored well, it may be just fine. From your pictures, I'd guess that's the case.

The Leica market is somewhat fickle. My guess is that you may be looking at around $1500 for the works, perhaps a little more. Good luck with your sale. If I have a weak moment this weekend, I may place a bid.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Mike have you take the euipment to "Camera + Darkroom" On central to get an appraisal for the equipment????

Looking on KEH.com they are listing the DS bodies in a "Bargain" condition for around 700. Other places you might try are

Tamarkin.com
    classicconnection.com
    Ritzcam.com

Beast

5. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    To check the value. you can also do an Ebay serach for completed irems. That will show you what Leica M3's are actually selling for, as opposed to an inflated insurance valuation.
    Jon P.

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, all, for your thoughts--they're much appreciated.

I went ahead and put this up on Yahoo. Now, I'm a net veteran I guess you could say, but this is a new one on me. I got this response about the Camera Set on Yahoo:

HELLO SIR/MA,
    I SAW UR ADVERT ABOUT U SELLIN UR CAMERA,SO I AM INTERESTED IN BUYIN IT FROM U,I AM LOCATED IN NEW YORK CITY,BUT AM PRESENTILY IN WEST AFRICA DOING SOME BUSINESS WITH MY PARTNERS.IF U WANT ME TO BUY IT,PLZ KINDLY INFORM ME BY REPLYING BACK TO ME.
    and sorry i need to know the amount ok,
    THANK YOU.
    MR MARTIN BRown

Yahoo states, "Although there is not a single surefire way to identify fraudulent buyers, there are certain countries that have a higher incidence of fraud and often have untraceable addresses. These include: Nigeria, Romania, Macedonia, Belarus, Pakistan, Russia, Lithuania, Egypt, Colombia, Malaysia, and Indonesia. You may want to decline to sell to buyers in these countries, even if the buyer offers to use a U.S. cashier's check. If you are at all suspicious, it's a good idea to do some research."

This is a fradulent buyer then, I suppose? (sigh). It's so much easier buying and selling stuff to Ferrari people. :)