Cam variator question | FerrariChat

Cam variator question

Discussion in '360/430' started by ATSAaron, Jul 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Is the variable valve timing on a 360 progressive, as in it is feed a frequency signal and you can advance it 0 degrees, or 10 degrees? Or is it just on/off with only two positions? Does anyone know the max number of degrees? and I assume it moves to retard the cam, not advance it, right?

Thanks,

Aaron

2. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    It's ON/OFF with only 2 positions. Very simple, one ECU commands a relay which commands the variators electrovalves.
    It retards the exhaust camshaft by 20°.

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just to add to this, the software inside ME7.3 has a configurable variator calibration map which means the opening times are governed as a function of both RPM (x-axis) and % Torque Requested (y-axis). See the chart for exactly how they behave at given rpm points.

360 Modena/Spider Variator Control Table

In the chart a 0.0 means OFF.
    128.0 means begin opening (it takes some time so is considered 'half open' by the ecu) and 255.0 means fully open.

In summary the variator is pre-programmed to start opening at 2,840 rpm and beyond right up to the rev limiter after you request more than 30.75% torque.

Both LH and RH variators are connected together via a welding 31034 to the same Digital output on the Right Hand Side Ignition via Pin 36 on Connector B (orientation looking from the rear of the car). This pins route via Connection Joint 41090 Pin 15 (H) and then Pin 7 on 41104 (Connector A, B-1) directly to the variator itself.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

brogenville likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is the 360 getting a feed back from a cam position sensor like on the 430 ?

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes.

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Can the obd be interrogated to check variator function?

7. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes, you can check real time the cam/crank phase angle and see the 20° difference when its is activated.

one4torque likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Cool! Weekend project.

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes !
    Record the value you get on each bank when the engine is idling.
    That will give you a good idea of how is the timming of your exhaust camshafts.

one4torque and brogenville like this.
  10. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Thanks. I'm wiring a Link G4+ Thunder to run a 360 motor with twin turbos. It's in a Norwood 288 replica. It previously had a Motec, but they used a bare bones model and didn't connect any of the modern engine features like the electronic throttles, cam variators or the intake flaps. I'm working to correct all that.

Aaron

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Aaron,

IMHO you really don't need aftermarket engine management on Ferrari's post 1999, i.e. from 360 era on, anything with drive by wire is more than capable, either to run turbo's, superchargers or make more power. It should not even be a consideration as the factory ecu's from that era are very capable and have a decent amount of reserve capacity (at least a quarter of the space is unused on most firmwares, sometimes much more than that) that can be used if you know how. They are also to the point of being as good or better than many of the very expensive aftermarket ecu's which will ofcourse come un-programmed and still require many months of rolling road work, let along integration of all the custom features on a 360 engine.

Aftermarket ecus are very likely going to make overall things worse before they get to the stage of being "better". For most applications unless you can somehow work out how to extract and transfer all of the factory calibrations into your new ecu software, and that's assuming they work the same way or its even possible. To give you some perspective there are over 3,100+ calibrations and configuration parameters to make the car drive perfectly. I highly doubt any aftermarket ecu bolt in done by aftermarket tuners gets even close to the level of R&D that goes into the factory calibrations. Think of all the different conditions they are tested in from extreme heat to extreme cold, to humidity, to highest and lowest altitudes. To get this good will require absolutely huge budgets and time invested and ofcourse it will never be emissions compliant either which is another can of worms altogether depending on where you live.

With the specialized software I've developed for these purposes I can literally configure any new sensors/actuators (e.g. calibration of bigger fuel injectors and fuel pump for example). Literally anything that I want to use or replace, add any new features I can think of and I can even develop complex algorithms in C that can be automatically injected into the existing firmware and integrated into existing sensor values. A huge benefit to adding the control of turbo's or supercharging inside of the existing ecu firmware for example is that it will be fully working integrated with all the existing safety systems such as if the engine goes into limp mode because it say a cam position sensor fails or you say you see detonation from bad fuel, it can pull timing and drop the boost to safely manage things as any factory ecu would, whereas on aftermarket or with piggyback there is often very little advanced diagnostics and fail-safe's, no such feedback loop's for piggy back ecus, they are often fighting each other. When things go wrong you break expensive things...

If you PM me I can describe some of the projects I'm currently doing on Ferrari's. I also feel that due to heat management challenges your probably better off going the supercharging route unless your going for big power and in that case the level of investment is so great that your opening up the thing and doing pretty big changes like forged pistons, head gaskets, compression ratio changes and custom fueling and cooling systems.

Qavion and one4torque like this.
  12. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    360Trev - that is awesome, and I will definitely contact you if I buy a 360 or 430 for myself (I have a 800hp turbo 308, and a 600hp twin turbo 348). Unfortunately the ECU's are long gone on this car. I think this project was started almost 20 years ago!

Aaron

one4torque and 360trev like this.
  13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    A bit more than a weekend project, especially if you dig a little deeper... There is a wealth of realtime telemetry available if you are interested to develop your own software.

For example on the 360 there is a Local Identifier Table enabled which gives you access over OBD to ;
    • Engine Speed (rpm)
    • Filtered Air Mass Flow
    • Fuel Injection
    • Relative Air Charge
    • Throttle Angle
    • Mass Air-Flow Hfm
    • Vehicle Speed
    • Primary O2 Lambda Probe Lsu Voltage (Corrected)
    • Primary O2 Lambda Probe Voltage
    • Idle Setpoint Speed
    • Battery Voltage
    • Throttle Pedal Voltage Pwg Potentiometer 1
    • Throttle Pedal Voltage Pwg Potentiometer 2
    • Normalized Angle Acceleration Pedal
    • Lambda Controller Output
    • Multiplicative Mixture Adaptation Factor Higher Load
    • Multiplicative Mixture Adaptation Factor Of The Lower Mult. Section
    • Multiplicative Mixture Adaptation Factor
    • Additive Correction (Per Time) Of The Mixture Adaptation
    • Additive Correction (Per Ignition) Of The Mixture Adaptation
    • Additive Adaptive Correction Of The Relative Fuel Amount
    • Delta Motor Torque From Loss Torque Adaptation
    • Resistant Torque Of The Engine
    • Correction Factor: Altitude
    • Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure
    • Ambient Pressure
    • Lambda Actual Value
    • Required Lambda Referred To Lambda Sensor Fitting Location
    • Pseudo Lambda Actual Value Measured W/Nernst Probe Behind Cat
    • Pseudo Lambda Setpoint Behind Cat
    • Angle Of Camshaft To Crankshaft In The Working Cycle
    • *Camshaft Overlap Angle Of Inlet And Outlet Valve Opening
    • Air-Mass Flow Through Throttle Valve
    • I-Portion Of The O2 Lrshk
    • Indexed Engine Torque High Pressure Phase Actual Value
    • Indexed Engine Torque Driver Request
    • Relative Driver Request Torque From Fgr And Pedal
    • Optimal Indexed Moment
    • Indexed Resulting Target Torque
    • Indexed Resulting Target Torque For Zw Intervention
    • Driver Moment Request For Filling
    • Indexed Torque Requested From Outside (Asr,Gs,Etc.)
    • Maximum Achievable Indexed Moment
    • Minimum Achievable Indexed Moment
    • Indexed Engine Target Torque Asr (For Rapid Intervention)
    • Indexed Engine Target Torque Asr (For Slow Intervention)
    • Indexed Engine Target Torque Msr
    • Indexed Engine Torque Request F1 Gearbox Tcu (Can Signal)
    • Target Speed F1 Gearbox (Can Signal)
    • Delta Torque Anti-Jerk
    • Desired Torque Change From The Idle Speed Control (I-Part)
    • Desired Torque Change From The Idle Speed Control (Pd-Part)
    • Start-Injection Factor
    • Charcoal Canister Charge
    • Norm Leakage Air Mass Flow Through Throttle Blade
    And many other parameters can be accessed too...

E60 M5, MCASEY, Qavion and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jeremy Kaminski

Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Kaminski

Hello Eric,
    I was trying to contact you with getting a re-flashed Challenge Stradale TCU, but couldn't figure out how to do messages.

15. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Hi Jeremy.
    I can't PM you neither. Have you authorized PM ?

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Jeremy, with only one post on FerrariChat, I believe you are not eligible to start a private conversation in PM. Forum software. Try a second post.