355 - Cam phase sensor malfunction | Page 24 | FerrariChat

355 Cam phase sensor malfunction

Discussion in '348/355' started by taz355, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ok so if I understand correctly, as I do not have my dial gauge here yet, the crank when it alligns with the missing 2 teeth should have cylinder 1 close to TDC so if this is the case then the bank 1-4 is times correctly and the 5-8 is restarted by 2 teeth.
    I will check tomorrow with a dial gauge but what does not make sense is bank 1-4 should have ran not 5-8.
    Thanks

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would agree with you except it ran for over 1000 miles very well and then lost a bank. You are correct on the install though I definitely did something wrong and either a tensioner was not working correctly(I did not change them) or the belt was too loose when I installed it.
    Thanks for the insite though on the belts and backfire . Seemed kind of unlikely

Would pistons contact valves if bank 5-8 was retarded by 2 teeth? Is another question??

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes also happened to me on my super bike when a slotted, red lock tighted cam cam loose and not a little but total collapse of 1 hole

Beetle likes this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I do not know. Things moving at speed move more than things moved at hand crank speed. A few things you can do are: If you have a borescope look the plug holes. I like cleaning my intake valves when I do majors. That means plenum off so you can get an easy look at the condition of the intake valves. You can put the belts on the assembly marks then on a good bank side move 2 teeth in the errant direction and lock that down. Now gently hand turn the motor in driven direction and see if you feel any resistance. You have to be careful and stop if you feel any. If not you have a better chance of having not hit anything. You can also leak down the motor. That should be real fast since it is out of the car. Good numbers imply everything can seal. If you really thought about it, you could probably do the math and see if you have mathematical interference.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No, I don't really think a back fire was the cause. A backfire might be the result. It's strange because I believe you said the car was running right. Sometimes a engine will move backwards a little on shut down if one cylinder stops on compression just before TDC. I can imagine the engine rotating correctly with the belt tight in the tension side and floppy on the bearing side and then jump a little backwards and the drive pulley doesn't engage the loose belt to pull the cams with it. But that's just a guess.

You will only know by checking timing.

No. If the cams are retarded the exhaust will close late witch could lead to the exhaust being bent. But your original diagnostic codes seem to point to bank 1 as the cam sensor is on bank 1. So the codes are saying the cam and crank sensor are out of sync.

You a compression test will tell you if there is damage. A borescope through the plug holes will tell you the extent of the damage.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    From my personal experience 10 years ago, those Hill Engineering tensioner bearings need to have a certain clearance to the tensioner arms they mount to. There is no published spec but I always check with a feeler gauge AFTER installation to make sure I get at least 0.50 mm or more. The first time I used the Hill Engineering bearings on a OBD 2 car my timing skipped one tooth, and if I drove it more, it would have skipped another tooth.

Secondly, the pivot arms need to have free movement with the bushing not binding. You want to check and replace as needed.

Third, the mounting bolts for the bearings need to be torqued correctly, to spec, and with the correct technique.

Grant, you coughed up to a couple of these errors (brave man) so I would venture these to be the causes. As to what to do now....

1. Find TDC on Cyl 1 with a degree wheel or a piston stop (I prefer degree wheel).
    2. Inspect the assembly marks on the four cams. Out by 2 teeth will be very obvious. The bank giving you trouble will identify itself.
    3. Stick an inspection camera down the four spark plug holes of that bank and see what damages if any on the pistons
    4. Replace the belts, retime the cams again with a degree wheel to specs, torqued properly
    5. Perform a compression test and a leak down test with the engine out of the car. That will give you even more information.

If no issues are found with compression and leakdown, put the engine back. I think you are getting to the real cause of this issue and no longer chasing your tails. Good man.

Beetle likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'd perform the borescope inspection first. I can not imagine there would not be some marks on the pistons if the valves are bent. If there is damage, doing the test won't result in more. Check 1-4, then 5-8. You don't even have to rotate the engine. Either al cylinders on one back have bent intakes or exhausts or none do. No sense in going to all that trouble of timing and new belts if it has to come apart.

Beetle likes this.
  8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Use the factory assembly marks. Using paint marks increases error. Placing a belt where it was last time increases error. Assembly marks are the key reference point Ferrari intended along with TDC found with dial gauge. Doing this job without knowing TDC is just guessing and hoping.

"Tighter" is not the answer and can lead to failure in a different way. Proper torque per the factory spec is what you want. Lacking a torque spec we use experience and approximate torques given fastener size and material. You can just google those. This is a no force job. An arthritic 60 y/o is all the strength you need. a new belt is stiff. Doing things like removing cam cogs to install cam time etc make for zero effort belt install. the new stiff belt is no different in size than the one that cam off but it feels like it is too small especially with lock and swap methods. Often the belts are placed and the tensioner placed last and forced into position and that can lead to an installation error.

I don't think you need a lot of fancy. The motor turns by hand now without interference I assume. With cam covers off you hand crank the motor a couple of revolutions and the 4 cam marks don't ever line up (pretty close) your timing is off. My method I posted before I'm a cam shaft remover. That closes all the valves and you can spin the crank at will. That allows you to very very quickly leak down every cylinder and see where you might be as far as damage. Big leak head is coming off.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am going to order new belts and gaskets etc to fix it properly but for now I will use the existing to check.

I agree John however just for practice I will time engine with old belts and I do like what Mitchell said as it’s more work but it may give some insite as to how it failed.
    It’s nice to know others have had it jump teeth because I would not have thought it would have done this. I have done this engine 3 times and this was the 3rd time. I was surprised this happened especially when I felt I did a better job each time and then this happened.
    Yes it ran fine for 1 summer and over 1000 miles so was quite surprised it did this.
    I will find TDC and then check. If my boroscope fits(rigid) then I will,know this tonight.
    Hope fully no contact as the damage will be severe because I have ran it for a few minutes on one bank plus I all ready turned it over by hand with no contact.
    I actually removed the plugs because it was too hard to crank with the plugs in.

Thank you all for your comments and I will keep you posted.

Beetle likes this.
  10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So just boroscoped the bank 1-4 and some of the valves touched pistons so obviously not good.
    Cylinder 1 all three intakes touched , cylinder 2 looks like 1 intake touched, 3 same and bank 4 looks like 1.5 touched
    All exhausts were good on bank 1-4

Off with my head
    Then off with the engine head, but before I do I am going to see what the timing is for the brotherhood.
    The belt jumped 2 for sure but I want to make sure it’s not 3 and I want to see if exhausts are same.

Anything else the engine builders think I should check once it’s apart.
    Also I would assume all 4 pistons and rings should be thrown out??
    They do not touch now but obviously dynamic they did.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I could not see perfectly because scope was too large to go through plug hole

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Wow that is bad news Grant. Do a leak down test to see if they leak or not before you take the head off.

You want to take the head off and send it to a machine shop and have them determine whether the valves are bent and no longer usable. I would not automatically throw out the pistons and rings until you get to see what the damage is with the head off the engine. You do want to check the condition of the liners since they will be visible.

Will you be doing the disassembly yourself?

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #588 johnk..., Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Not good. Sorry to hear that. If they hit the pistons they are bent. They won't seal. Pistons and rings are likely fine. That you can't see 3 marks on all 4 cyls indicates they didn't hit hard. Pull the head. Do a leak down on the block. You can check the valves individually with the head off, at least the side two. Turn the head upside down and pour a little gas around the valves. The rest is obvious.

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes will do it this weekend.
    I Can see through the carbs that at least some of the valves for cylinder 1 are bent or at least they look slightly bent. I can check them for runout but at this point some look obvious. I will mark them all so I know where they came out.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was quite surprised cylinder 1 had three marks from all intake valve because I thought the center valve was retarded by about 10 degrees

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    True but it also opens at a different angle and sit deeper in the head. But maybe just enough carbon build up in that cylinder for the center valve to touch. What is surprising to me is that if 3 touched in #1, I would have expected all 3 to touch in the rest as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes me as well. I will post a pic but when it happened I was at constant throttle about 4000 and as soon as I heard it and it basically dropped that bank it would not rev pat 1500 so maybe all three would only hit above 2000, who knows.

18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So I can not get the head off my 13mm wrench is too big
    Might have to grind it.

19. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Hope this works out for you. Making me nervous about doing my own major next year!

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You will have no problem just make sure you use new tensioners and tighten belts properly

emac likes this.
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    long 15mm wrench, box end, ground edge thin to fit, cut the open end off to fit a short cheater pipe.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes as Mitchell pointed out 15mm
    A 13 is a definite problem

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So final post
    I would like to thank everyone for all their help and insite.
    If anyone ever has a similar problem some ways to find out are
    Cam phase sensor will give an error via Leonardo
    Crank sensor will give an error with an obd2 reader
    When engine starts on 1 bank smoke comes out of intake plenum on whichever bank the tooth jumped

If this has happened likely you have head damage.
    All 4 pistons did get hit by all intake valves and no exhaust valves
    All pistons are good
    Not all intake valves are bad but 4 are noticeably bent.
    All guides are good except 1 which has a very very small crack in it
    Liners all look good

Will be sending out to get the head rebuilt on intake side
    The intake cam also got damaged or was damaged before but unlikely.
    Four tappets were damaged slightly and correspond to the noticeably bent intake valves.

All valve seats look ok but I will leave that to the experts.

308 GTB, Ferrarium and Qavion like this.
  24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Grant,

What kind of damage was noted on the cam?

Barry

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Barry
    I can post a picture but I think what happened is the bent valves by sticking were crating more friction for the cam that was pressing on those valves.
    Some material was worn on the tappets and got kind of melted onto the cam lobes of the corresponding valves.
    I am pretty sure I would have noticed this before but who knows.
    I will try and see if I can clean them up but unlikely.

No going to send anything out until this zombie apocalypse starts to settle though.

Any other guesses are welcome since at this point all I know is the facts.