Calling eBay sellers!! | FerrariChat

Calling eBay sellers!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by stokpro, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  2. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I have used paypal on many transactions and have had no problems. There is a commission for sellers that some people don't like but the convenience is worth it to me.

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I've done over 200 transactions on ebay, mostly selling but buying as well. I always use International Money orders or cash. I've never used Paypal.

4. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    if I'm selling something that's worth a good amount I just accept money orders. I honestly don't think someone who's interested would be deterred by your not taking paypal.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    my .02 if i want it i will buy it..... but i WILL NOT USE PAYPAL . i would either try to come to an agreement of payment method, such as, western union.... wire transfer.... bank cashiers check... blah blah. i think there is too much risk of exposure to financial liability giving paypal all that info. unless the consumer has an account with a small amout of money and thier day to day bills dont go in and out. i would not give them my current acccount numbers and risk any of the crap others have posted. if we go to a pay site i am sure Rob will be able to take cash. cashiers checks or whatever. otherwise i am repectfully out. i will have a ferrari in the garage soon ( another muscle car left friday night to a new home!!!!!!!) just my opinion

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I have recieved payment through BidPay a few times. You don't need to have an account with them to recieve $$$, they will mail you a Western Union money order.

7. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    how about tying a separate checking account to PayPal and keeping your normal checking account(s) completely separate from PP? worst case scenario PP can only freeze the checking account you have registered with them right? and since it's not your normal checking account, it doesn't really matter, right?

8. JamesH

JamesH Formula Junior

May 11, 2001
    San Carlos, Californ
    Full Name:
    James Hom
    My feeling is there are more crooks on Ebay than to worry about paypal. If you send a check, western union, cashiers check, what recourse do you have against the seller. At least with paypal, you can try to stop the payment to the seller. I have used paypal to get sellers to live up to their ads. Just my opinion.

9. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Errr...Stupid question...

What's wrong with PayPal? Did I miss something?

Cheers

10. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Stick, check the link on the original post above.

Stokpro, I've always had luck with personal checks, MO's and cashiers checks on eBay. Just state in your description that a personal check is held for 10 days until it clears.

11. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Duh, thanks for pointing out the obvious...I feel pretty stupid...Should've clicked on the link.

Wow. My experience with PayPal has always been good. I know three people who work for the company too. They are avid users and have great experience. Always good to see the ugly side too.

Cheers

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

I've done over a hundred transactions on eBay and majority of them via PayPal without any problems (besides the ridiculous fees as a premier member), but the original thread about PP "freezing" your account(s) and reversing the charge back to you PLUS the fees has got me all paranoid. I guess my problem is... I like the convenience of paying via PayPal for my auctions, but don't want to risk the incoming credit card payments. Guess I should revert to having a basic PayPal account, that way I can still pay via PP but not incur fees for accepting money and no credit cards accepted. But is it a hassle for someone to pay me via money order, cashier's check?