Calling "Beast" | FerrariChat

Calling "Beast"

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by AnotherDunneDeal, May 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #1 AnotherDunneDeal, May 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Beast:
    The Audiguy on the 250KX Kawasaki passing future national champion Tony Distefano when he was riding a privateer CZ back in the early 70's. I don't think the pass lasted very long though.................................................. I probably fell down or something. I don't remember...........................
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #2 AnotherDunneDeal, May 17, 2004
    Hey Beast!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You out there anywhere. I thought this might bring back some memories of when you did it professionally also...................................................

Unless you did it like my M/X school instructor and teammate. Team Kawasaki-Wymon Priddy........:>)

3. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #3 AnotherDunneDeal, May 17, 2004
  4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James i am still alive... i have been real busy as of late working and trying to get a business venture started up. Cool Picture in fact that will be my new business venture action photography. Take a look at a few of my shots in the daily random pictures thread in OT :)

Beast

5. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Cool,

Hope all goes well with the new venture. I will be watching for your credits on any new action photos I see. Will you be specializing in any particular field????

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James,

Motocross for a start, then will also be hitting local MC road races and also a few car events also. Just from some of the test shots that i have been taking to build a portfolio, I have been selling copies already and getting more requests to take more photos. So it is off to a decent start even before the doors are officialy open :) I am also looking at getting some of the old photos that i have taken back in the early to mid 80's rescanned and put up for sale also. Needless to say i need a 48 hour day right now. :D

Beast

BTW... How is your new venture going so far???

7. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #7 AnotherDunneDeal, May 18, 2004
    I start it next Monday. It will be a lot of hours. I am working on another one altogether different. The new job will be a stop gap measure I am doing to make sure I have a consistent paycheck each week while working on developing the new one. I am looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. Getting back into something I did before the car business to help tide me over until I can get the new project funded and started............ Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember at some of the old races we ran at that the professional photogs would sign us up before the race for photo ops. Then they would show up at various corners, jumps and passing places to take good action shots of us. They would have them sold to us or our sponsors before the race even started. Seemed to work quite well for them. Hope it does for you also.

#1 Jim Pomeroy First American to win a World Championship 250cc M/X GP-Spanish GP on a Bultaco
    #2 Late 60's M/X World Champ Bengt Aberg Husqvarna
    #3 Bob "Hurricane" Hannah His reputation speaks for itself Yamaha
    #4 "Rapid" Rex Staten The "old guy"

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James,

That is what i am planning to do is canvas the pits at first until i can get some digital equipment to shoot an entire event.

Here is a shot i made back in 1984 of Hannah on the last honda hand build works bikes prior to the production rule in 1985 :)

Beast

9. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Rob,
    I only knew a few riders who were very tall over larger. Did you notice how small Hannah looks on his bike? I raced at 140 lbs/ 5'6" (I guess you can tell that by the photo of me). It seemed to give a good balance equation. Now that you have stopped riding professionally, do you still try to keep in the same kind of condition you did when you made a living from it? I know I don't , but I should. I, of course, am still 5'6" but at one time got up to 185. I am back down to 152 now and intend to stay about there..........

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James,

After i stopped racing watercraft in the late 90's i let my body just go to crap. The past couple of months i have started to eat better and go to the gym and start to work out again. In the past 2 months i have lost 60 pounds and will be getting rid of more in the future. I have not felt this energetic in years and honestly and thinking of getting back out onto the track racing a few vets races ;) I was the opposite i was tall 6'4" build of a football lineman when i raced. If i had any advantage on the track was the ability to strech back and fly over the deepest of whoops. The other advantage was if an other rider tried to stuff me in a corner they more than likely ended up on the ground. A former rival said stuffing me was like riding head on into a concrete wall!!!

Here is a shot of Jeff Ward blasting thru a deep rut in 1986 :)

Beast

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is the 250cc start at lakewood, Co in 1987

12. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #12 AnotherDunneDeal, May 19, 2004
    That looks like the Lockhart, Texas track with all the rocks and such. After riding 2 motos there you would have to take two weeks off to let the rock bruises heal. I remember having good size rocks flying into my face and chest being thrown up by the bike in front of me. Thank goodness for chest protectors and full-face helmets.

Steve Stackable
    Tony Distefano
    Adolf Weil (last two pictures)

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James,

Very cool shots. I was looking thru a Cycle Trader today and saw that some one was selling a 74 1/2 Maico for $4000!!!! Just think what those bikes sold for back in your day I remember buying a 1980 KX-125 for $999.. Where have all the good times gone?????

Beast

14. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    That Maico was about $1,400 new back then. I paid $900 for my first new TM250 Suzuki way back when. Fortunately, after that I either got help on the price of the bikes or was just put on them no charge. And after that, the full sponsored ride.......4 bikes, practice 125cc and 250cc, and race 125cc and 250cc, a box truck, mechanic, parts and expenses paid. Back then was before the lucrative contracts they have today. I got to keep my winnings but that was all. I had to work another fulltime job in addition to riding. Of course, I thought it was okay then. Now, it would be back to the negotiating table...............

15. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #15 AnotherDunneDeal, May 19, 2004
  16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess

James,

I am going to have to say Brad Lackey. In fact i met Brad and jim Pomeroy at the AHRMA Sandia Classic in Albuquerque a few weeks ago. They were racing on Sunday the same time while i was pitting for a co worker in a Super Motard race, so i did not get to see them dice it up. But i heard it was quite a show. Also got to see Gary Nixon and Jay Springsteen tear it up on some vintage iron on the road track. that was quite a show :)

Beast

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here you go Vintage iron with modern riding gear

18. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    You are right. I wonder where his rubber ducky is?? Remember the one he used to tape to his helmet when he rode for Suzuki back about 1971????

19. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #20 AnotherDunneDeal, May 20, 2004
  20. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James,

I have ridden a 79 Can-Am 250-MX and honestly i hope i never ever get the chance to ride one ever again. The time i rode that one one of the shock bolts snapped off and the shock speared me in the back of the leg when the swing arm snapped at the center bridge :( Needless to say i did not enjoy the following trips to the ground and emergency rooms either :(

As for the Rider in Chandler i could just go and cheat and take the pictures to a few co-workers that race the vintage class to get the answer, but instead i will take it like and man and say "I dont have a flipping clue!!!" :)

Beast

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James,

Here are some shots of the "Beast" from 81, 85, and 88

22. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I always found out that if I kept my feet on the pegs when landing it turned out much better..............:>) 2nd photo.............................................

23. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James,

I find that to be true also. I was trying to show off for the camera by doing a flying "W" but the photographer clicked the shutter too soon :(

The next lap was nothing but a bust as i snapped the rocker arm on the rear suspension.

Have a great weekend, it looks like i will be going out to the track for some more photo shooting and selling ;)

Beast

24. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #25 AnotherDunneDeal, May 21, 2004
    Have a great weekend. I am garage saling (ours) with my wife this weekend. Sound like fun???

Flying W?? Know them well. They usually hurt a lot the next day.