Call of Duty: Black Ops | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Etcetera, Nov 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I finished SP a little while ago. The ending is just...money. Pure money.

2. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They've fixed MP stuttering and lockups for the most part. Instead of the client sending 32 terabytes of updates to the server every 2 seconds, they reduced that to 2 kilobits and change every 4 seconds with a cache just for good measure.

What remains, however, are tack-ons that detract rather grandly from the MP game; COD Points, kill streaks, instant knifing, bad player level imbalances, horrible cash for wager gameplay modes that should be free...and the worst crime of all is Treyarch ***ing up Gun Game. I haven't tried the other wager matches because GG is just hugely broken and the only people that can break GG are Oompa Loompas that are bound to gimmick up the rest of the wager crap...so stuff that.

As I've said before, MP map design is garbage. There are perhaps two good maps and the rest are just meandering bits with random reloading tid strewn about. There is an art to excellent MP map design and these folks aren't even at decent yet. Did Treyarch hire John Romero to pinch out all this? It sure feels like it. The whole bit was like walking the aisles at Wal Mart with random products as gimmicks and neural detritus disguised as smart game design as replaced by center islands and end caps that don't match the area they are in. Pantyhose and Motor Oil to the East. Blasting Caps and Baby Comforters to the West and Condoms and Barbed Wire to the South.

Game is a solid 2 of 10. And it's not because I'm picky...it's because they had the chance to make this game awesome on every front. What we got was harried and rushed and short SP to just bad, gimmicky and commonplace MP.

As I've said before, the ending was money...pure money. Unfortunately, that's the only thing worth paying for, and it sure as **** ain't worth paying $60 for.

3. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Awesome! :)

I've played the first few campaign missions on single player and I already hate it. Glad I'm not the one that paid for it. Something about seeing the enemies head explode, then he still gets up to shoot?!? Unload on an enemy, reload, kill another, reload, cut scene, walk, cut scene, walk, cut scene, unload, reload, cut scene. I may have missed a cut scene or two. Dragging a body 50 feet does not put me "in the game." Glad I don't have epilepsy or I'd be on the floor every 3 minutes.

4. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Try MP. I just hit you in the chest with nineteen rounds of 7.62x39mm cartridges at 3 feet and somehow you are shooting back at me with a 1911. While calling for a care package. While calling for an air strike. While...eating a frosted cupcake...while driving a small RC car with firecrackers on it.

5. YellowS2KVTEC

YellowS2KVTEC Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Id try hardcore then.

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    LOLOLOL.

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm tifosichris on ps3. Add me :)

8. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Bought it today for Xbox. Will report back. Have played a lot of MW2, will be interesting to see the differences.

Kai

9. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    #35 Stefan_009, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    Very cool !

So far , after almost a week, its not a bad game . Graphics are good. The presidential zombie feature is cool. I story in campaign mode is very good, but I could do with more play time and less cut scenes .

MP

The respawning in MP sucks ! It was much better in MW2. At least in MW2, it didn't re-spawn you right in front of the enemy's path. Die, re-spawn, take 2 steps, dead. Host migration is becoming a PITA. I do like the customization of the weapons and the fact you don't have to earn each attachment anymore, especially the ones that weren't wanted/needed. I like this game a lot more then MW2 as far as MP goes. My favorite guns so far are the M60 & AUG .

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

thank for sharing that, your opinion means alot to me.

I WILL NOT get this game.

I dislike "multiplayer games" anyway.

who knows who is poking around in your machine, while you are connected to some game server. :mad:

12. ferrarilover86

ferrarilover86 Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    CHICAGO, IL
    Single player was ok, multiplayer SUX, graphics are near horrible for a next gen game. I don't get it. Parts of the single player was just jaw dropping but all of the multiplayer looks bad. Also in MW2 I mostly snipe, in Black Ops you almost can't snipe anymore, most of the maps are all tight, no large open fields of fire for snipers.

13. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bought this game and 5 minutes in: "WHY did I waste money on this crap!?".

14. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I love this game. It has kept me happy while waiting for Mr. Yamauchi to finally launch his new game. ;)

15. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    yeah, I like to snipe too, nothing like single head shots to get your kill percentage up. But like you said, not much sniping you can do in BO. There are sniping nests but the cover such small territory, it's not worth hanging out there because hardly anybody comes by. And if you use a silencer you need at least two or three shots to put the guy down.

Marathon is not unlimited anymore.

Shotguns are not a secondary weapon.

LMG appear more useful than assault rifles.

Thermal scope not as good any more.

I pretty much use the AK47U with silencer, rapid fire. Lightweight, marathon and Warlord. I use that on 90% of the maps.

I like MW2 better.

Kai

16. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  17. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Another thing I found out:

to unlock the "Plus" feature of the perk it appears that you have to complete three different tasks associated with the perk.

I.e. to unlock the Lightweight+ feature you not only have to run a ton, but you also have to kill 10 people as they are attempting to achieve their objective as the third task.

For Marathon+ you also have to capture the flag 15 times.

That means you have to play formats that you may normally not play to get to the perk+ features...

Interesting.

Kai

18. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    The campaign is awesome.

I like the way you play based on memories of interrogated soldiers. Even in campaign the sniper rifle sucks but other than that it's a great game. Hard to say what i liked best between Metal of Honor, MW2, Halo Reach, and Call Of Duty.

Great year for games IMO.

19. YellowS2KVTEC

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    I love the sniping! Ive got 665 kills with my L96 bolt action already.

20. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Interesting. I sniped all the time in MW2 but don't seem to like it in BO. The sniper rifle is less powerful IMHO and the heatseeking is too restrictive.

My favorite gun right now is a silenced AK47, sleight of hand, Lightfoot and marathon.

Kai

21. YellowS2KVTEC

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Ya its different thats for sure. But something about it I like. idk why.'

just hit 2000 kills with my l96

22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Anyone on PS3?
    Or should I start a PS3 google docs sheet where you can add your username here/there, audio pref, etc. ?

23. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I use AK74U with handgrip and rapid fire. Perks are Ghost Pro, Warlord Pro, and Marathon Pro. It's like taking candy from a baby. Unless that baby uses the same loadout, then it's up to network latency.

MW2 is better... until you come to a room full of kids that use one-man army and noob tubes.

Michael.

And why, even after the update, is it still freaking rocket science to keep your xbox live party grouped together. Instead of spending 75% of the time backing out of lobbies because we lost somebody in our party, we spend 70% of the time.

24. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee