Call of Duty: Black Ops | FerrariChat

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Etcetera, Nov 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Anyone going to grab this? I didn't give this a second look until I found out that it has dedicated servers and VAC (Valve Anti Cheat) so its multiplayer aspect for PC should have some legs to it.

The different game modes look decent, too. Gun Game was a favorite in CS:S and these they've included it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDVm8yAGNpg&feature=player_embedded

2. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  3. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    I'm thoroughly excited for Anti Cheat and dedicated servers. Its nearly impossible to find a game with out one guy hacking on MW2 PC multi player.

But the rest I can't get behind; I'm sure the campaign will be good, but not nearly as fun as MW2's. Also, all the guns from gameplay videos look 'off' to me. Something just isn't right with the design of them.

The multiplayer game modes have some great additions, wager matches especially. But stupid things like flamethrower, attack dog kill streak, sentry camera kill streak will certainly detract.

My initial feeling is that it will be good but not great and that it will draw MW2 crowd in the beginning but most will go back, save those too frustrated by the cheating.

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeap I'm getting it for xbox. I liked the story line and co-op for previous games and I like playing 1v1 multi-player.

5. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I'm getting it for the Xbox.

6. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Pre-Ordered yesterday for 360. Wasn't really looking forward to it that much to be honest, but after seeing the multi player video I can't wait for tuesday.

7. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    The question is who isnt getting black ops? :)

Preordered for 360 a few weeks back and looking forward to having it in my hands soon.

8. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I played it a little bit a few days ago at the Call Of Duty Endowment / Black Ops release party. Pretty cool. I'll probably grab a copy.

9. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It's getting released tomorrow! :eek: Did anyone get the LE with the RC?

10. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I wish they would exchange my MW2 for this, or at least somehow get anti cheat servers for it. I'll probably pass on this for a while, my wife will kill me if I get another one so soon. :)

11. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    One of my friends is getting it. I personally am no where near insane enough to drop that sort of cash on a video game.

12. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    I preordered the hardened version for the PS3 but couldn't justify the one with the R/C car . Picking it up in a couple of hours .

13. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Not going to the midnight release unfortunately. I'll be picking it up after school tomorrow though. Those of us on the same platform should organize an Fchat COD night.

14. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    I am getting it on...... Wednesday. :(

15. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I just bought the cheapest copy I could find! :eek:

It's already been patched! (that's how you do it codemasters)

The game crashed on the 1st mission :(:( I'm just installing it to HDD now. Even tho I have only played it for 10mins it feels like the graphics aren't as polished as MW2...

16. YellowS2KVTEC

YellowS2KVTEC Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Picking it up in 2hrs and 40 minutes. :)

Been watching lots of montages and stuff and I think the game is gonna be great. For the online players there are some sick new game modes.

Gun Game - players start out with a pistol. For each kill they move up a level, granting them a better gun. First person to achieve kills with all 20 weapons wins. However, someone who is knifed will move down a level.

One in the Chamber - each player is given a pistol with one bullet and a knife. For each kill achieved the player will receive one more bullet. However, each player will only have three lives.

Sharpshooter - each player is given the same random weapon. The weapon will be used for 45 seconds before being switched out for another one. Kills will award the player with perks and score multipliers.

Sticks and Stones - each player receives only a crossbow, ballistic knife, and a Tomahawk. The catch in this gamemode is that if the player was able to hit an enemy with a Tomahawk, the enemy player will go "bankrupted".

17. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Actually I change my mind. The Graphics are good :)

I like the crossbow :D

18. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    Graphics & gameplay are good . Interesting that instead of unlocking the weapons attachments ,you basically have to buy them with XP now. The flamethrower attachment is fun !

19. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    #19 konatown, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    Consensus from all my friends:

How many bullets does it take to get to the center of a terrorist?

According to Treyarch, a **** ton.

Everyone agrees that multiplayer is garbage but campaign is good.

20. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    First of all, I bought this for MP and not SP, and I got the PC version.

Aside from the fact that on launch, MP on PC is functionally broken from not only the network lag but the client seizure every 30 seconds or so bug...well, let's face it, MP is ****. They will fix those bugs in the coming weeks or months as our calendars are turned, page. By Lagging. Page. Client is lagging. Page. Network Error, Disconnect. And all of a sudden it is March of 2011 and.

they have. fixed. The PC networking lag.

Maybe.

Or not. I don't give two ****s about how a game will play 1 week, 1 month or the first patch from now. All I care about is...can I play this game, now. The answer for PC folks is no. It's broken and it doesn't work.

I did have some matches where.

I

Wasn't.

Having. Network lag but my client would. Stop. Responding for twe Nty seconds. Or...s. O.

And what I got from when the game did run is that level design is circa 2003, as are the textures, and the various game modes essentially suck. The maps suck, the art sucks, textures are from Doom 2.

Killstreak gimmicks are just that, and WTF with the instant switching between a weapon and a knife? Go go instant switch and being dead.

In Short, MP suffers from awful map design, crap art, massive lag that will never go away as well as uninspired samey tactics that every **** game since CS:S pinched out on us.

SP is awesome, right up until the Vietnam campaign when you realize that you won't ever be able to look at all the cool level design because some 45 year old game design nerd thought it would be cool to stick a giant bottle rocket in your ass crack and make you run right past all the cool looking **** in the game because you are trying to escape that bottle rocket stuck in your ass crack which you can't ever do but you are running like ***..because surviving is what you do.

And then, it's the end of the game and you've missed most of it because you were running like *** to get from point A to point B and you missed the fact that Natalie Portman ran naked through the Siberian campaign because you were trying to take out a Nazi sniper hiding out on top of a stranded oil tanker.

SP: 2 stars of 5 because the game designers stuck an extra large bottle rocket in our ass cheeks and in doing so, forced most everyone to miss the gravy of the SP campaigns because they were running past all the cool stuff in order to survive.

In the end, MP is a failure. 0 of 10 stars. SP is a solid 5 of ten stars.

At no point is this game worth $60 USD. At no point is it worth half that. And, at no point is it worth half that again. $7.50?

Maybe. But sure as *** not $60. Or $50. Or anything above $20.

21. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    That sucks, Korr.

I hate buying a game only to find out they released it before it was finished just to cash in on the fanboi hype believers.

Too bad there isn't a 48 hour right of return - the developers don't have much to lose. They wow the nubs with graphics and cool TV commercials and fix the major stuff, maybe, then start on development for the sequel.

22. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    There are 2 mini games you can play in the menu. press left and right triggers to wriggle out of the chair then walk to the back of the room to start the computer. type DOA for game 1 and ZORK for game 2. there are also emails and random music/pics you can look at. It's has a a unix like interface.

Finished the Campaign. Longer then MW2 but still done in under 10hrs.

23. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I pretty much have no complaints...

MP is Call of Duty MP, which is pretty solid. I really like the COD points layout. I'm not having any lag issues either.

24. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I'm guessing you didn't play MW2...

MP plays exactly like MW2. Only difference now is you need COD $:)rolleyes:) to upgrade guns.

Yeah your pain with the knife has only just begun. Wait till you play people that play knife ninja's.. you don't need to use guns at all. It gets to be a bit of a joke.

What they should do with knives is make it instant death if you hit them from behind but everything else is only a wound.

25. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #25 SPEEDCORE, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017