California's SUV Ban... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

California's SUV Ban...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Schatten, Aug 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    You are way off, dude ... I don't like plastic boobs :) LMAO!!

And yeah, we complain about the cost of gas ... but did anyone compare it with bottled water? Or milk? Pretty interesting :)

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Pete,

Though is your argument is very valid, you will not get far on this board with that. Before you make your argument, remember who drives these expensive SUVs and not use them? Rich people. Rich people's wives want to be like other wives and nag their husbands for SUVs. They tell their husbands "hey you got a ferrari/lambo/lotus/porsche, so I want a SUV.

Thus many people you are bashing for misusing their SUVs reside on this board ;)

Secondly, people will say to you "well I can drive whatever I want, because its my money." Thats a common theme. They will point out that "people drive Ferraris to work everyday, and go out on dinners and dates, when Ferraris are truly race cars and should be used for the track."

THus you see, this is all circular and would not move this argument any further.

Though I agree with you, as usual, I feel this is a wasted cause, and hope that your fingers get some rest before you get hot and bothered and blow a top on this thread. Remember breathe and kiss the wife. :) :D

3. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

There you go! My good ole buddy from down under with his sense of humor is back. :D :D

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Because Sydney is full of the bloody things and they don't even have mud tyres. Everybody knows, I even have a sister-inlaw that owns one and it will never see dirt.

Thus he NEEDS one and should get the extra license I suggested.

I judge when they ram into other road users because 'Mum' lost control, I judge when they use the size of their big tank to intimidate other road users to push in ... I judge when I have to breathe their stinking diesel fuel that belges out as they struggle pulling their weight up a hill ... and I laugh when (as what happened to a friend of mine) they have to sell it because they cost **** loads to run. Remember petrol and diesel is fncken expensive in Australia.

Arh we agree ... but my extra license idea would put of the pretend users and only people that reall wanted one would still be bothered. Why this will not happen comes down to the mighty dollar again ... and simply car sales and employment.

Pete

PS: Lafun2: Yes you are right ... the must be better than the Jones BS, is what the car manufacturers are marketing on. These SUVs are marketed to the women who have this problem in droves ... and because they do not understand the mechanics of a vehicle and feel safe sitting up high ... (sorry girls, but again talking about women I know).

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yes siree Bob! :) Wish women would just shut up, get on their knees and do their jobs, and leave the driving to the rest of us :D ;) :eek:

LOL

6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    We do agree indeed ... don't get me wrong, I dislike the people who never off-road for a simple reason ... today's trucks are too street oriented, and it gets hard to find a good stock off-roader, especially in the US. We only have Jeep, Toyota/Lexus, and Land Rover. And that's because of this trend. If it were only for me, there would only be Toyota Land Cruisers, Defenders and G-wagens.

On the other hand ... if mum is looking through her purse or trying to calm the kids down in the backseat, she can be in an SUV or sedan and it won't change a thing. She'll end up in the ditch. And very honestly, a 80km/h head on will kill everyone onboard, SUV or not.

Using the size of the big tank? F*ck yeah! Suprising how smoothly you can get in traffic. People only see the precarity of driving a car when it's huge...and not yours (after all, you're sitting a foot from the asphalt, in a metal cage going 60mph+). When someone is driving 80 km/h in the fast lane and is stuck there, I'm glad he can see my front bumper in his rear view mirror vs just another car. Just a way of saying "dude, you're in the way ... do something".

You're pulling our leg with the diesel thing here. In France, I rented a 307Hdi (the things barely hits 5L/100km!!! Incredible!) and it was just as stinky.

As for the cost ... sports cars are the same for most people. Buy em, enjoy em as long as you can afford em ... and get rid.

I dunno, I see it as a little pleasure everyone likes to enjoy at some point ... just like a sportscar.

Anyways, I'm glad the general lobbying works my way :D

7. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Does a CITY need a 360 Modena?! How fast could you really go with the pot holes and traffic?

As you said, you wife prefers to walk or commute using pubic transportaion. In a city with perfect public transportation (not possible) it is convinient to travel using the bus, trams or subway. But if you live in a smaller town that does not have a well developed public transportation yet is big enough to warrant the use of a vehicle to transport heavy equipment and be used as a family vehicle I do not see how things can be solved by imposing restrictions and bans.

So I have to go do another driving test to show that I can control my SUV. If I had to, and it was the law I would do it. I would have no choice. But I bet 99% of the people that already drive SUVs would pass that test and get the special license.

Who decides the criteria for which an SUV is legal or illegal? Who decides whether a mother of 4 kids that needs a big car to carry the three guitars and one set of ice hockey equipment does not need an SUV? What if she does not want todrive a minivan? (Too bad, eh!!) So what, we are still ok with our light weight 360CS?

I do not see the point in putting down restrictions when there are resources to develop a solution. Make the roads durable. They get damaged by wear and tear, fix them.

8. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Firstly, I'd just like to say that I agree 100% with everything Psk has said; couldn't have said it better myself.

Secondly, Imperial 83, you are totally missing (or avoiding) the point. Psk's argument stems not from the fact that "SUVs damage the road surface"... that is a consideration, but only a minor one.

His point is that, I quote:

So to summarise for you,

American SUVs are:

1. Too large and occupy too much road space.
    2. Consume too much fuel for vehicles which are predominately used as city transports.
    3. Are dangerous to other vehicles in accidents.
    4. Are not inherently safe at all to their occupants, compared with conventional sedans.

Personally I don't have a problem with Range Rovers, BMW X5's, Mercedes M-classes, Porsche Cayennes... It's only the enormous montrosities that are found almost exclusively in the US that I think are a menace on city roads. Having spent several weeks in Miami and Los Angeles recently, I could truly appreciate how stupidly large some of these vehicles are.

And lastly,

Absolutely wrong! In a quality European sedan, you are almost certain to survive a head on 80kmph crash. In the latest large model Volvos, Mercedes and BMWs, you'll survive a 150kmph head-on crash into solid concrete (assuming you're fit and healthy).

Contrasting that, I've seen peole die in 60kmph head-on crashes in rubbish Fords, Holdens and various Asian manufactured cars.

So the bottom line is that what car you choose really makes all the difference when it comes to what state you'll be in after a crash!

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'll take this comment as an attempt to lighten the post and add some humour ... because this is exactly the attitude of the SUV owners that everybody else hates ;) ... while I hate people that drive in the fast or passing lane, it is their road too.

True, but the difference is the Peugeot while not be belging anywhere near as much smoke because it does not have to lug up an unnecessarily heavy car at a speed that it is not really designed for.

I have always seen different types of vehicles to be bought and used for what they were designed for, ie. you buy a race car ... you race it, you buy a sportscar so use it for sporty driving ... you buy a 4WD, then for fnck sake go and get it dirty.

The problem is manufacturers are pushing these vehicle on to city people as the new type of vehicle ... this is just as bad IMO as the American motor industry in the 50's making bigger and bigger, flashy cr@p cars because THEY thought that is what the car owner should be buying, not what we actually wanted or NEEDED. History is repeating itself ... remember there is more room for large profits on large more expensive cars ;)

Pete

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Pete,

Nothing has changed. ;)

11. Dr.Bleed

Dr.Bleed Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nathan E. K.
    Ban Semi trucks too, and bring back rail roads. I'd like to see the day I dont have to drive behind some ass hole in a dump truck spraying **** all over the high way too.

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Also, the recent trends in vehicle crash analysis for the US manufacturers to promote deal with the amount of damage to the car itself, not to the concrete wall. When you take a full sized Chevy truck and hit head on into a concrete wall, there will be little damage, if any at 15mph, or even 20mph. However, the force of impact against the wall, or damage to that wall - that's what I'm concerned about.

Ever seen that one H2 commercial? It should be banned actually. One woman (insignificant of gender actually), driving through an empty city. Shots of the H2 from various angles. The announcer keeps on stating "More Steel". That is quite scary. And yes, I'm afraid. I've seen too many dissapearing trunk + back seat acts on the road lately with H2s.

13. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Actually, I was referring to 2 cars crashing head on at 80km/h each. Saw a simulation between a Volvo and 5 series and both cars got completely ruined, with no chance of survival for the front passenger and driver. 150km/h in a concrete post? That is incredibly impressive!!! Got any sources? Would be curious to see how they achieved that.

Anyways, I find it very funny to hear australians whining about american SUVs. God (uh ... Thawn), I like your points. Very clear. And hilarious.

BTW, it's a fact that they make outrageous profit on SUV. 3k/truck vs 500$/car.

Anyways, flame on. I'll just stick to saying it's none of our business to say "this car should be on the road, this one shouldn't". Don't like it, don't buy it.

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It has nothing to do with what I prefer. It has to do with the level of safety and competency on the roads from the: 1) other drivers and 2) other vehicles if #1 fails.

If you want to ban SEMI trucks like Dr. Bleed states, well... invalid point. SEMI truck drivers take special courses and have licenses to drive those particular vehicles. Even more, they do it for business. They do not use a semi for commuting purposes. If they do, then it will only be a handful, not enough to count on one hand.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, we have SUVs here too mate ;). Japanese companies make heaps of the pieces of **** that are now polluting our roads, as do our local manufacturers. Yes they may not be quite as big and rediculous as the American ones (but the Ford Explorer is sold over here) but the issue is the same ... and the statistics against them are frightening.

I know it is hard for you Americans to understand but the world is not flat and does not end at USA's borders ;) :D

So my point of view is a general world wide view of these vehicles being mis-represented by manufacturers and causing accidents in our cities.

Pete

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Pete he is Canadian. I don't think Canadians are very high on the todem (sp?) pole that they can diss on Australians. ;)

By the way, I thought the capital of the world is Los Angeles. :D

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh ... oops major mistake on this Aussies part ... hehehe :D :D

Last Canadian I had internet discussions with was a real short chap who built up a illusion of greatness via his posts ... I then had an opportunity to meet the guy first hand, and er, okay guy and all, but full of **** ;) ... but I'm sure they are not all like that :D :D ... just having a poke. I actually think Zorro and I are on the same page, but I'm just asking for an extra license level, not banning the vehicle all together ... that can wait until I become Prime Minister of Australia ;).

Gee if all Kiwis were like me we would be probably at war with some country by now ... ;) ... with our 5 planes and 2 boats and 1000 men ... hahahaha.

Pete :D

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Dont worry about them. Dem Canadians always like to flex their muscle on the great country they are and blah blah, when in reality they are great, because they live next to and are protected by the States.

But I digress from the topic. ;)

As always, it is nice to discuss things with you, with sprinklings of humor in it. I will be in Aus next year (visiting the diplomat, you so hate ;) ), so I may be able to make your acquaintance! :D Well I need to grab some sleep, so that I can wake up, and fight through traffic with the SUVs on my way to work. ;)

Later Pete.

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If that happens, don't forget to make Jimmy540 your secretary of Defense :D

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good luck with the SUV battle :D ... and oh I'm sure this mate of yours is a great person, it is the concept of being free from local laws that upsets me.

And yes if we can meet up you will find me to be a middle aged grumpy, balding little man, who arguably works (!) in IT and has finally been beaten in to driving a people mover forever slower than the day before. Has never had a date in his life ... probably because of his comb over hair style and the mirrors attached to his shoe tops ... but otherwise harmless person :D :D

Some of that is true :D ... you will have to wait and see ;)

Pete

21. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    have to agree with the extra licence for both suvs/4x4 and sport cars (infact the entire licencing system needs to be significantly better) both have particulars different to "normal" cars that alot of the drivers dont seem to understand. i swear im going to shoot the next suv/4x4 driver that stops right on the line on the indside of a roundabout (are there any in the US?? ) morons dont understand that you cant see over/round them.

also the argument doesnt apply to trucks as they do have special licences and also understand their vehicles

22. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Where did you see this? And how recently?

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Preach it, Brother!

Don't get me started on turn signals. Do SUV's have them?

24. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    V8s not good for a daily driver? I agree, I am sick of all this cr@p, it should have 12. :D

I am serious, no reason why anyone should be prohibited from driving a 5000 lb solid safe german tank with a 12. Safty first, and it IS safer inside one of those then your average car.

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

He is my dads brother :) Lost a leg in the independence war, and thus the govt gave him a post in the foreign service. He is a good salesman and is charming, made a way with the govt, and became a diplomat. Has stayed through all the govt changes, quite a feat for such a corrupt country.

When we meet up, you will see I am a short, brown guy, with no hair, or mucles. Weigh 65 lbs and sips mocha all day.

I will have my Prada key ring to show you though. LMAO :D ;)
    How far is Univ of Sydney from you? (or whatever uni is in Sydney)

Omar,

Very nice on the mean message. I agree with you 100% :D Make mine the 65amg