California T 2016 vs new 911 992 4S as daily and only car | FerrariChat

California T 2016 vs new 911 992 4S as daily and only car

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SHK, Apr 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SHK

SHK Rookie

Apr 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    H K
    Hi! I’m in the market to change my car and am stuck with 2/3 options and can't make up my mind. I read a couple of similar cases in this forum but since they were too old I thought it's better to register and ask mine directly :)

I currently own a Porsche Macan S (2018) and when I optioned it, the new 992 wasn't a thing yet, hens I skipped going for a 911. I also wanted a more practical car for daily driving and occasional trips.

As much as I enjoy the comfortable ride of it, I can't compare it with the joy of driving a proper sport car, and after test driving a few (911 992 & California T) I got even more into the idea of trading my car with one of them. When I was Checking options and customizing a 992 I had no idea it gets in the same price range of a Cali or even a 458. So I went to a local Ferrari dealer in Sweden and the dilemma began...

within more or less close price range (less than $15k difference) I can either go for:
    1# Brand new Porsche 911 Carrera 4s with plenty of options
    2# 2016 California T in very good condition and low milage (2600km), about 10k more expensive than the Porsche.
    3# 2018 458 in good condition but high milage (42k km) and about 20k cheaper than the Cali

I have only tested drives the Cali and 992 and while the Cali was nice and fun, 992 was considerably more exciting to drive! Even though Cali has a more powerful engine in typical highway acceleration I was feeling more punch and adrenaline from the Porsche. Unless I was pushing the engine to higher RPMs the Cali was also not giving me much if any of that Ferrari engine melody. Perhaps because of the different torque mapping of the Cali which makes it a less aggressive engine?
    And of course a new 911 has all the perks and gimmicks of a modern car like decent car multimedia system, surround cam, driving assist etc... While the Cali has only the basics and not even the Car Play option. I can live without gimmicks but if I'm spending that much on a car, of course I rather have them than not!

The dealer naively talked me out of the 458 due to sweden's weather and road conditions in winter, as my only car and a daily driver. But I'm not fully convinced yet, mostly based on people's posts on forums like this one. The Cali also seems a bit more spacious but its rear seats are as useless as 911, but still a big bonus.

70% of my driving is for fun, and in the city, rather than necessarily needing just any ride to commute. If I'm not driving the Porsche I honestly rather use the subway which is easier in Stockholm.

Considering price drops and the milage I put on the car (15~20k km/year), and the practicality of one as a fun daily driver, maintenance costs & reliability, I'm not sure which way to go. From what I understood a 458 will have the least depreciation (if any, at this point) since it's the last of its breed and naturally aspirated V8.

I would appreciate any comments or feedbacks here, and thank you in advance for your your help!

2. f1ngerman

f1ngerman Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Muhaha Nyehehe
    Can’t talk about the Porsche, since, surprisingly, I never drove one but I have a Cali and whatever people say I don’t think it’s a daily driver. Especially in Sweden you’ll have a lot of snow, hence a lot of salt on the roads which are not to good for the car. I don’t use mine during the winter time and there’s a reason for it. What I’ve heard about the Porsche, that it is a lot better for daily things than a Ferrari 458 or Cali. And just read your post again and it seems you already made your choice. Driving 15-20k in a Ferrari will cost you a lot more in insurance as well as lot of the insurance companies give you rates with 5k top per year. Depreciation will also be significant as most Ferrari’s have low mileage. Although your brand new Porsche will depreciate a lot as well. It was surprising to read you enjoyed better the Porsche driving experience compared to the Cali as it is a wonderful machine but hey, preferences differ and there’s nothing wrong with that. I think for your needs and based on your experience I’d go with the Porsche even though I’m a die hard Ferrari fan. Whichever you go with you’ll be very happy and enjoy the ride, safely.

SHK likes this.
  3. SHK

SHK Rookie

Apr 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    H K
    The 458 is actually a 2012 model. I made a mistake while posting.

And thank you f1ngerman. The Cali was not bad, at all, I just felt the Porsche was more aggressive which I think it should. Since the Cali is a GT car, rides slightly higher and the max torque of the engine is only available in higher gears. The car was FAST, but not 500hp fast especially in 2/3nd gear in comparison. I did not try lunch control nor pushing the car with TC off. Both were just in sport mode.
    And you're right about the road situation. Interestingly I see more of 911s during the winter, but rarely Ferraris, even though they're in the same class or price range

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The Cali T is plenty fast and definitely a better car than the 992. You can't tell enough in a test drive where you get to drive the car for at most 30 minutes. I owned a 991 TTS for three years and the Cali T HS for a year. The Cali T HS was the better car in every way.

XSpeed, LucasFerrari and SHK like this.
  5. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Ever thought about an FF? They're likely in your price range, and its a V12 and its 4 wheel drive. The Carrera 4s is a nice car though too. The CaliT can be had for sub $150k with low miles now here in the U.S. if you look at the postings. Me personally, I see 911's every day on the roads but not too many Ferrari's. The occasional early Cali, or a 458, and there's a guy down the road that has a 348.

Tough choices... :)

SHK likes this.
  6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Isn't the 911 a GT?

7. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Hello

I owned a Porsche Carrera for years and now I have a California Turbo. I can tell you there is a HUGE gap between a Ferrari and a Porsche. They don't compete in the same category. The Ferrari is more exclusive. More luxurious. The Turbo is an awesome car with a double personnality. It can be gentle in the traffic jams and furious when you release its power. The gear box is amazing. It reads your mind.

When I was buying my Ferrari I had to choose between a 458 with carbon seats or the California. The 458 is awesome but impossible to use daily according to me. Search on youtube for the video explaining how to switch radio stations and you ll see my point ! Plus it is low and it will break your back on long distances. Well at least mine (I am 45).
    I choose the Cali because I wanted to share the pleasure of driving a Ferrari with my kids. We do have plenty of fun in this car. I also intended to use as a daily car but I gave up. Nothing to do with the car but more with others. People would stop to take pics, the roads are narrow and the car is 2m. You will have bikes coming so close to the car .

Now I use it to go to Ferrari events, meet prospects and clients and enjoy it more like a motorbike.

If you want to use the Ferrari daily you will have to treat it as a normal car which is impossible for me. I love this car !

8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Regular winter driving at 20000 KM a year is a big deterrant to owning a RWD Ferrari which will have less traction, worse depreciation and higher operating costs. I don't think it would be that much fun in a big city like Stockholm and I don't think you will get much use of it for 4 months a year during the winter even if you put on winter tires. Not saying you couldn't do it but not fun.

The 992 4S is more practical for your purposes and is less mileage sensitive, will be under 4 year OEM warranty and has 4WD. It will however be much less exciting than a Cali/458 and much less of an event to drive. I went from a Carrera 2 S to a California to a 458 Spider. The only Porsche that captured my fancy after that was a 991 GT3 and I would never go back to a base Carrera/S/GTS. It's too bad you can't have a cheap winter beater and save the Ferrari for nice weather days. It would be a much more enjoyable ownership experience.

LucasFerrari and SHK like this.
  9. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    For a daily u can’t beat a Pcar. Fcar are toys whereas p car is a true daily.

rossodino and technom3 like this.
  10. I drove my Lamborghini Daily, its an audi :)

11. To the OP, Life life, get a Ferrari. California are pretty solid.

Put snow tires on it and enjoy...

12. you real daily should be a jeep wrangler or a volvo, or something simple....

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Dailied a California, 458 Spider, AMG GTS and Huracan. Huracan is super reliable because Audighini:cool:

Honestly, the worst daily driver over the past few years is my 991 GT3. Wing obscures rear visibility, rock hard suspension makes potholes and bumps a bone jarring experience and front lip is so slammed even with my Front Axle Lift I consider the plastic lip a disposable item and replaced it annually.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have owned 43 Porsche's (have 4 now), and a modified Calf T (with over 650 HP and 650TQ), and I have said this before but I give it another shot. The T is a great car, but it really needs to be pushed to show what it is capable of. In comparison my modified GTS (with over 600 hp and TQ) feels like a wild horse you are trying to hold back. I also have a modified 991 C4S (it is my winter fun car) and it feels like a sports car no matter what speed I drive it. Since I am incapable of having any emotional experience related to a car, I base things solely on what the machine can do (and no machine from the factory is good enough for my purposes). I don't drink the cool aid or care what the badge says (I like everything from a miata to a vette), and I have overcome my deep hatred of AWD sports cars (I always converted then to RWD and used to think they should be melted down to make homes for the needy), and even now own one. I see they can have a purpose. I have yet to drive a 992, and until I do I cannot say the T is a better car, but I look at things differently that anyone else here because I keep so many cars at once, they only need to be good at one thing. If it were me and I lived in Sweden I'd buy the new 992, I say that because it is the logical choice, not the emotional one. Good luck.

csteve and SHK like this.
  15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You may be more emotional than you let on.

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I wish that were true, but sadly it is not. Cars are merely adult tinker toys to me!

17. SHK

SHK Rookie

Apr 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    H K
    Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate them all, because opinions of people who own those cares are nothing like the typical sales pitches you hear at dealerships. Not that they're dishonest but they lack this true "hey I had both for a year and..." Point.

I'm a hardcore Ferrari fan on paper myself (cus I have never owned one) but I gotta be a bit rational at this point, since it's gonna be my only car for now. The Cali T and 458 were indeed awesome rides, but as some of you pointed out here, they are kinda too much for a casual daily driver. A Porsche to my experience blends in much easier than a shiny red wild horse.

I have already lost the Cali T option (another customer got it) but I feel happy for overcoming my excitement cus I think I might be able to find a better used ferrari for $170k. Prices in the summer tend to be slightly less optimal than winter.

What was new for me is that people consider a Porsche Turbo S in the same league as a Cali T. I have driven P turbo before and honestly found it to be too much of a car (and price tag) for my usage which is rarely if ever tracking the car. I found Carrera to be wild enough for casual driving. Cali was great but not as (driving) fun. My test drive was actually nearly an entire day rather than typical 30m. As some of you mentioned, the car only showed its sporty face when you really push the car or go high RPMs, vs the 992 being fun to drive all the way. I know it's a subjective opinion after all.

I think I will spec out a custom 992 but keep an eye on coming Cali T options and if I get a good deal I'll flip. At this point I'm not convinced yet to go F for my usage. This is mostly because I don't wanna spend $ on owning two high end cars. I'm thinking ahead how is going to be two years from now when I'm gonna trade in a Cali T with a lot of milage on with whatever appeals me but I prededict to loose a lot more on value in comparison with a 992 which is selling like hot cakes now. I will probably not care about it in a few years from now.

Carnut and baguns like this.
  18. SHK

SHK Rookie

Apr 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    H K
    That being said any 992/991 or Ferrari owners here in this forum that live in Stockholm and would like to chat about more local ownership experience?

19. jerryw

jerryw Karting

May 18, 2009
    I have a 2015 California T as my daily driver and find it to be very comfortable in all situations. On occasion I will take my wife’s 2015 Porsche Targa 4S and find myself wishing I was in the Cali. The Porsche is probably more reliable but it drives like a small car and you feel every bit of the road, the Ferrari feels much larger and you do not feel the road humps.

20. amv1981

amv1981 Rookie

Mar 13, 2019
    Me :D

Sex weeks into my first ever Ferrari (Cali30), coming from a 991.2 and still owning a Macan for daily. Bought my F through Autoropa and all my Porsches (on my 3rd now) from Porsche centers here in Sthlm.

DM me

/A

SHK likes this.
  21. JBTC F430

JBTC F430 Rookie

Dec 31, 2006
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Campbell

22. JBTC F430

JBTC F430 Rookie

Dec 31, 2006
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Campbell
    I'll weigh in here, even though I am in Arizona which is about as different from Stockholm as you could be. I bought a 991.2 4S Targa just 6 months ago. I am trading it for a 2017 California T. I currently have a Ferrari 328GTS and have owned 7 other Ferraris in the last 15 years including a gen 1 California. The Targa is a great car. And no question that the 4 wheel drive would be better in the snow. But I just have no passion for the car. The Ferrari just calls me to love it. The Porsche just to admire it. And this car is my daily driver. I don't know if this helps, but that's my view.

DavidA, csteve and SHK like this.
  23. SHK

SHK Rookie

Apr 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    H K
    For now I have customized a 992 due for delivery in late July with quiet a long list of options. I do love Ferraries as well but I could not convince myself to get one for putting 15k km/year on it and drive it around like a Yaris. Stockholm highways, especially after winter, dare you to take out your car so you get a lot of stone marks on the windshield or paint. Already have repaired my windshield twice for that reason, in just one winter!

The 2017 cali that I had in mind is already sold and the plan B is a 2016 one in another city (Malmo). Autoropa guys were really nice and helpful indeed, but I just got a better trade deal (about $10k) from Porsche Stockholm.

24. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    I own both 458 Italia and California. If having 4 seats and and open top is not part of your requirement ..... then go for 458 at any given day. Its an big upgrade vs Cali.

Sammi likes this.
  25. andrew biazis

andrew biazis Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    andrew dennis biazis
    I enjoy my 991.2 TTS as a daily and it is reliable, good in the rain and super fast.........could care less about exclusivity as long as the driving is good and maintenance is far and few between.........