California in the flesh | FerrariChat

California in the flesh

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RAKLAW, May 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    Passed a dealer plate top down California this pm..It was Red/Tan and I must say looked very very nice in person. No question its a Ferrari in its stance on the road. In Rosso Corsa its a winner.

2. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Just saw one yesterday on PCH in Cali, the car looks great on the road actually.

3. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Rode in a red/tan California @ Continental AutoSports last weekend. I was pleasantly suprised when I saw it in person.

IMHO

Joe

4. Rong

Rong Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Had the good fortune of driving this car yesterday in La Jolla.

Here are my thoughts:
    1) Extremely good looking with top up or down. Mini 599 profile.
    2) Comfortable and ergonomically ideal. Excellent build quality.
    3) Smooth suspension. Much more so than my 599 or 430
    4) Handles well, not superb. Exhaust sound not compelling.
    5) Felt detached when driving. Transmission might as well have been an automatic. That smooth.
    6) Bottom line. They will sell every one they produce.

Personally, I would save the $75-$100K and buy an SL63 or SL55 or the new Porsche Turbo when it gets PDK, since I own a Ferrari. With these other cars you get two cupholders, a larger dealer network and I dare say, better reliabilty. You just don't get the pracing horse.

5. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    At the dealership today checking out the California for some time. There were three Mercedes SLs in the parking lot and the owners eyeing the new Ferrari. (SL500, new SL63, new SL65) I'd say the target buyers for the California are definitely interested. :)

6. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    A Mercedes Benz reliable??? Have you had one recently??? Ask me how I know. I currently have a G55 and a GL550. In the past I've had a SL55 and an SL65. Ask me about MB reliability..........but then again, "don't". I have nothing good to say. Actually the only positive is that they take care of all problems fairly quickly.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Mercedes Benz is NOT a low maintenance car, especially the S and CL class. Avoid any model with the ABC suspension system if you intend to keep the car for a while.