California Dash Top Panel Removal | FerrariChat

California Dash Top Panel Removal

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SoFLFerrari, Dec 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have a 2010 California and would like to remove the two top panels above the dash to be able to access and clean the stickies around the tach and speedometer.

I'm able to remove the small top center panel but can't figure out how to remove the larger panel below it. I see two Allen Wrench screws on the far end, but is there anything else holding it in place that I need to look out for?

I've attached an image of the panel I'd like to remove. Thanks in advance.

2. robinb

robinb Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi,
    I would be interested to know how you removed the small top center, is it possible without removing the larger panel?

3. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    The small panel just pops out. Push it towards you and lift from the back.

A Pasha likes this.
  4. robinb

robinb Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
  5. Mike8Wang

Mike8Wang Rookie

Feb 12, 2019
    orlando,fl
    Full Name:
    Mike Wang
    Did it work for you? I have 2015 Cali T and trying to pop that off too to realign the leather that's slightly stretched out of place. I found two screws just below and they seem to hold the larger piece in place.

6. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Not sure on the Cali T, but on my 13 Cali, the top peice pops off from the back and slides forward slightly to remove.

7. fibreraid

fibreraid Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Hi All, I too have the same issue where the leather has peeled back a bit. I removed the smaller top piece without any issues. I also removed the 2 allen screws that appear to be holding down the larger piece. But I still cannot seem to get the larger piece to come out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

8. Leathertech

Leathertech Rookie

Jan 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    David
    To remove the binnacle you must remove the screws for the instrument cluster then there are 3 pins holding it down. Once you've done the two top Allen bolts and front cluster screws it pops off.

9. wfw

wfw Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I also wanted to clean off the sticky gunk on my dash assembly. After many, many, many searches, I found an amazing video showing exactly how to remove the complete instrument cluster. From there, I disassembled the instrument cluster into about six individual components. Then, using hand sanitizer and a couple of rolls of paper towels, I cleaned each component. I don't know if the forum allows typing the actual website. But the company is called SKF (super kilometer filter). If you take the instrument cluster apart, I think the speedometer lens is curved. So make sure you note if it is concave or convex facing outward. I believe this is to reduce glare. I did not pay attention to this and had to experiment under different lighting conditions to determine the best guess orientation (concave outward). Also, when disassembling the speedometer, be careful to collect at least four 1/2 inch long x 1/32 inch round rubber tube spacers that go between the lens and the plastic lens housing to prevent rattling. Also, pay close attention to the video removal sequence. I think the video shows the left side of the assembly is pulled up, then the right side. At any rate, follow the sequence. In the end, I was able to clean up everything, reinstall, and everything worked. Good luck!

SoFLFerrari likes this.
  10. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Very helpful. Thanks for the post.

11. wfw

wfw Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Happy to help. If you have any questions when you get into your cluster components, let me know.

12. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Stickies and peeling leather seem to be the hallmarks of Ferraris! Thanks for the helpful info.

13. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hi Mr Leather Tech On my 2015 Cali T , trying to figure out how to remove top leather cover over instrument panel. I found 2 screws at top above instruments but not sure how to remove it from there. Are there more screws I must remove ? Thanks so much in advance for your help .

14. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline

15. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hi , still not sure how to remove top cluster cover?? Yep found the two screws in top front and after removing them cover doesn’t come off. Are there more I must remove ??

16. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    I am wondering the answer to this as well. I see a screw below each of the leather pieces. Is it a slide and pull thing to get out or are there other screws?

17. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    James, did you try sliding and pulling out after you unbolted the screws? I am thinking maybe it is similar to the prior Cali, where some pieces have to be unbolted then pulled or pushed.

18. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Yep just have to pull up really hard - there are snap fittings . I carefully used a plastic trim wedge and they snapped open . Thanks

19. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Any Pics of the Cali T cover to show the clip locations? Are the only screws the two small ones above the gauges?
    Thanks in advance

20. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’m also trying to remove the instrument cluster on my ‘13 Cali and I’ve read this post and watched the video carefully. I’ve gotten the top binnacle off and removed the two screws at the bottom of the gauges then pried up the steering column upper clamshell but the unit will not come out. I’ve pulled and pried but no luck. It’s somewhat loose at the front - I can rock it slightly but it sure feels like it’s still anchored at the back. I’ve seen the video and done everything the same way, but their unit (instruments and attached upper dash clam shell) just pops right out.

Has anyone removed the entire instrument cluster? Thanks.

21. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I finally got it after finding a picture of the underside of the dash cover so I could see what was holding it in place. There are two metal pins at the 10:30 and 1:30 position of the rear of the cover (the part closest to the windshield when it’s installed) as shown in the photo, and they are the devil to pry up. Do one at a time with both hands, sliding your fingers under the edge and pull up as hard as you can. The dash cover is attached to the instrument cluster with the two black screws near the pins, so the only reason to remove the dash panel is to remove the instrument cluster.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. mdooley

mdooley Rookie

Apr 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark Dooley
    What was the website where you found this instructional video?

23. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #23 Bill Phillips, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    DISCLAIMER: It’s a video about how to block your odometer, which obviously is immoral if not illegal, so don’t do it.

But it’s also a very good tutorial on removing the instrument cluster. I’ll tell you from experience that when you remove the two screws underneath the instruments, use a magnetic tool or they will fall into a difficult place to retrieve them. It’s also impossible to put them back in unless you can keep them attached to the tool while you insert them. They are set back about four inches from the face of the dash.

Also be aware that the instrument cluster itself is bolted to the turtle back section of the dash. So you can remove the binnacle (the smaller section on top) by itself, but the larger base section can only be removed by taking the instrument cluster with it. They can then be separated. See the picture in my post above with the whole thing sitting in my lap upside down.

sherrillt and whatheheck like this.