California 30 Steering Squeak | FerrariChat

California 30 Steering Squeak

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by c928jon, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Hi

I have a low speed squeak on my Cali 30 when turning the steering. I've narrowed it down to belt squeak.\

Anyone have any experience of this, simple solution or any advice for a DIY belt change?

2. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Quick Update:

I swapped out the aux belt and tensioner today. Changing the aux belt is very straightforward and really quite simple, the tensioner likewise. The problem is the badly named stretch belt, because it doesn't.

The issue for me was the space between crank pulley and roll bar. The space available is tight and the belt tool I'd got, socket and belt wouldn't all fit together. I ended up cutting off the "remove" side of the tool and also ground down a deep 36mm socket so it fitted snugly on the crankcase pulley. Removal of the stretch belt was simple with a craft knife.

So , all done and the squeak is still there. I'm lost as to what is causing it. A link to a video of the squeak is below.

Attached Files:

tomc likes this.
  3. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That doesn’t sound like any of the belt problems I’ve ever heard. It has a pulsating nature and more of a metallic ring to it.

4. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    I've found what's causing the squeak and though I'd post the findings for someone with the same issue in the future.
    The belts were not at fault, I'd wet the belt and the squeak had reduced, hence my diagnosis. It looks like I'd also wet the squeaking part too.

The steering shaft isn't sitting central to the firewall grommet, it's pushed over to the left. The shaft is rubbing on a bracket fixed to the bulkhead. It only rubbed slightly and only part of the rotation, there were irregular witness marks on the shaft. I greased the shaft and all has gone quiet.

Looking at the diagrams for the column mounts on the dashboard, they are slotted, so next step is to remove the cowls and see if I can shift the column over by a fraction.

5. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Glad you found it, sounds like one of those really irritating little things that can be hard to find and drive you nuts. Thanks for the follow up.