CALI MOTOR MOUNTS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

CALI MOTOR MOUNTS

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by doccharlie954, Jun 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    One cold - for Dallas - winter, I couldn't drive the Cali for a month or so (I have dinner tires on it). Apparently, a bunch of squirrels decided to make the engine bay their love nest. Found a whole mess of pecan shells when I popped the front hood. Fortunately, they didn't do much other mayhem!
    T

2. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    Heck ya, great job and thanks for the pics! The first time I skipped the pics then noticed the oil. I can’t believe it was that bad!

3. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    My pleasure and if you need help just let me know. Super easy.
    Steve the crazy is that the Driver side mount looked like it was ok...the moment I just gently pulled..it exploded......
    IT is amazing how much better it ride.....

4. RICHROGERS

RICHROGERS Rookie

Nov 1, 2010
    Portland, OR, USA
    Here's what I don't get: Why do so many - the majority it seems - Ferrari owners put up with the defective design of so many Ferrari components. I confess to owning 3 Ferraris, a 2004 360, a 2011 California and a 2016 California. They are beautiful cars and, when they are running properly, fun to drive. But I refuse to delude myself into believing that the drive excuses defective workmanship. Our 2011 Cali has only 20,000 miles and I've already replaced the motor mounts once, at 12,000 miles. Now, at 20,000 miles, I'm told by Ron Tonkin Ferrari in Portland that the motor mounts have again "collapsed" and must be replaced. This car has never been tracked or otherwise abused. The mechanic and the manager both told me that this is a "design issue," that the mounts are "always" failing, that it's a chronic problem and that Ferrari is well aware of this "issue." I was quoted a price of $1,900 to replace the mounts. When I told them that a chronically failing motor mount is ridiculous, the manager responded that, "well, this is a race car designed for the street, so you have to expect maintenance issues." What ********. All of the postings above remind me of those juvenile online car reviews where the reviewer acknowledges the defects in the car and then says, "But hey, who cares? It's a Ferrari. Listen to that sound." Ferrari needs to be treated like every other corporation that bilks its customers with ****ty products. And all the people buying Ferrari cars and just swallowing the expense of repairing or replacing Ferrari defective parts without doing anything about it but posting their home remedies and "inexpensive" work-arounds are just enabling and encouraging Ferrari to continue ****ing its customers. I realize that many Ferrari owners think that the expense of Ferrari ownership makes them special - and I'm personally acquainted with several of these morons - but regularly spending thousands of dollars to replace poorly designed and manufactured components in cars costing upwards of $250,000 is, I think, a sign of a complete fool. I'll own a Ferrari and I'll not complain about the inordinate expense of routine maintenance ($900 for an oil change and brake fluid replacement), but I will not shrug off defectively designed parts which Ferrari markets deliberately in order to charge $2,000 for regular replacement. Instead of sharing all your home photos of motor mounts and tips on DIY repairs of these piece-of-**** components, how about really making a difference and initiating a class action lawsuit against Ferrari to force it to stop marketing defective components. That's my plan. It worked well in forcing Porsche to accept responsibility for defective intermediate shafts. I see no reason why such litigation won't work equally well against Ferrari, although I recognize that there are plenty of Ferrari owners who will say, "who cares, it's a Ferrari, listen to that sound."

5. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

DAMN, dude!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

As much as I hate hate hate admitting this on a Ferrari forum.......I agree with your sentiments 100%.

Wayyyyy back in the day I had an amazing F355 Spider......had it 4 years.....$27,000 total in maintenance costs........whew....that sound though.....

I have been looking for a Cali T as a 5-6k miles-per-year daily driver for over 4 months.....and since I can't find a perfect one (or perhaps subconsciously I know that daily driving any Ferrari is most likely to have drastic and expensive consequences), I have decided to go another route and put a deposit down on something else last week that will be here in October.:(:oops:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/so-yeah-i-put-a-deposit-down-for-a-new-car.627988/#post-147413159

6. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Reviving this thread since I’m now having this issue. I noticed a strong vibration at idle on my 13 Cali. Took it to a recommended mechanic that specializes in Italian exotics rather than directly to Ferrari (guilty I wanna save some $$$$ if I can!).

As a woman I feel like some of these guys think they can get over on me due to my lack of mechanical repair cost knowledge. I’m attaching an estimate for the repair and parts cost.. after reading this thread I think I may be getting taken advantage of but maybe I’m wrong. I contacted Ferrari as well but unfortunately they had just closed for the day! Any input is appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

7. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I'd recommend buying the parts online, and having a good independent shop swap them or ask a friend who is mechanically inclined to swap the parts in. It doesn't look difficult to swap, just need a garage and some jacks to work underneath the car. You can pickup the parts for $270/ea, save $300 compared to the total part cost quoted from the mechanic, and use that $300 towards labor of having the parts swapped at an independent shop. Any competent shop should be able to swap these out easy. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sammi likes this.
  8. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I did this repair to my ‘13 Cali about two months ago. Without a lift, just using jacks and jack stands, it can be done but it’s not exactly easy. You have to get the front end high enough to get under there and work comfortably, then remove the front wheels and the wheel well liners, and both the forward and mid under trays. Then you remove the steel cross frame brace. Between those three parts there are over three dozen fasteners, from small screws to large bolts. The top of the two bolts on each mount are very hard to get to and require some strength and improvisation. While the old mounts are out you need to support the engine. If you are using jacks and stands it will get quite crowded underneath. Like I said, it’s doable but it would be easier with a lift. Also, while you’re at it, change the transmission damper as well. It’s pretty easy to get to while the frame brace is off. As for the price you were quoted I don’t think it’s too far out of line for a reputable mechanic. A Ferrari dealer will certainly charge that much or more. Best of luck, it will make a difference.

Sammi likes this.
  9. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

#59 BLAMPEE, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    I truly hope that this lifelong dream purchase of yours goes better for you after your first month of ownership. :(

once I got my 355 sorted it ran great....but sorting it was quite costly.

if you need Ferrari parts please contact FChat sponsor @Ricambi America. Daniel is an amazing asset to the community here.

Italy Service did the PPI on my last Ferrari. They were fairly priced compared to the dealer.

Sammi likes this.
  10. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Ended up paying half of what I was quoted for the labor cost, so ended up being $850 parts plus $640 labor. Now she idles beautifully. Like others have said - it is a night and day difference!

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Awesome. Now with your adventures behind you, I hope it's clear sailing in your awesome new Cali!
    T

BLAMPEE and Sammi like this.
  12. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Thanks! I hope so as well :)

13. Windy City Ferrari

Jul 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    I was about to chime in since I just mine done. Glad you were able to find a better price. After shopping around I paid almost exactly the same for both labor & parts. Night and day for sure, so glad I didn’t hold off.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sammi likes this.
  14. MarcusDT

MarcusDT Rookie

Oct 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bolland
    Hey everyone. I just bought a 2014 Cali that has a 7 year power warranty on it. The car needs new mounts and the dealership says they aren't covered. Maybe their warranty is different but I haven't owned a car where this wasn't under warranty. I searched online for the warranty specifics but can't find anything. Any help?

15. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I know there are two different warranties out there, or at least that's what I was told when I just bought my 2017.

16. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Power Warranty
    Your Ferrari is a complex, high-performance automobile manufactured to the highest mechanical standards. It is built using state-of-the art materials and a combination of the most sophisticated manufacturing techniques in the world and a large degree of hand-craftsmanship. It was built with extreme care and precision, and you have made a considerable investment to acquire one. As with any investment, peace of mind is important, and Ferrari Power Warranty offer Ferrari owners peace of mind in knowing that their investment is protected against unforeseen repair costs. The standard Ferrari new car warranty is 3-Years/Unlimited mileage. The new Ferrari Power Warranty program offers the opportunity to continue your Ferrari warranty coverage, year by year, up to your car's 12th year.

ADVANTAGES:

The New Power program offers numerous advantages:

• the possibility of extending coverage for your car up to its 12th year;
    • replacement of spare parts and repair work covered by New Power program;
    • all work is carried out by an Authorized Ferrari Dealer by highly specialized technicians trained by Ferrari;
    • helps maintain the residual value of the vehicle over time;
    • coverage will continue to be valid even after sale of the vehicle to a new owner, provided that the vehicle itself meets the quality requisites specified by Ferrari;
    • the roadside assistance service (in countries where available) will be close at hand whenever you need it.

REQUIREMENTS:

• the vehicle must be inspected by an Authorized Ferrari Dealer to certify compliance with the quality requisites specified by Ferrari and verify its service history: services, routine and special maintenance;
    • vehicle mileage must not exceed 56,000 mi (90,000 km);
    • the vehicle must not have been involved in a serious accident, been tampered with, been stolen or taken part in competitions or races;
    • the vehicle must not have been used for commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, long or short term rental by a car rental company.

Subscribing to the New Power program is easy.

Our Service Advisors will be happy to explain the program application process to you.

FIRST STEP:

Extended Coverage Plus

The first important step towards taking even greater care of your Ferrari. Ferrari offers you the chance to extend the coverage period by a further 12 or 24 months once the manufacturer's warranty expires. The 4th year Extended Coverage Plus or 4th + 5th year Extended Coverage Plus may be purchased at the time of purchasing the vehicle and/or when the manufacturer's warranty is due to expire, 60 days before and no more than 30 days after the expiration date. The 4th year Extended Coverage Plus and 4th + 5th year Extended Coverage Plus offer the same advantages and coverage as the manufacturer's warranty.

NEW POWER:

To bring the coverage up to 12 years.

New Power is the Ferrari extended coverage program specifically for vehicles that have exceeded the coverage period of the original manufacturer's warranty. The New Power program covers the following components:

• engine
    • transmission
    • suspension
    • steering
    • electrical system

Sammi likes this.
  17. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    I dont think Motor mounts are covered by the New Power warranty as its considered a wear item. Are you sure its a 7 year warranty or the 7 year service plan?

Sammi likes this.
  18. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I just changed mine this morning, 29000 miles and compressed badly. What a difference, specially on idle.!

19. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Did you do it yourself? What year is your car?

20. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Yes, but i got help from a friend of mine that is a retired mechanic and has a regular car lifter, engine holder. It was pretty straight forward. 2 hours total. To be fully safe You need 2 people to hold the engine frame and a third to unbolt. My car is a 2010

Bill Phillips likes this.
  21. replica469

replica469 Rookie

Jun 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Lim
    Awesome thread here, thanks to all of you guys here. I just picked up a California 30 2012 with 35000 km and it seems to have the engine mount problem. Shaking at low idle, car vibrating while accerating.

I also notice the rear part of the car exhaust vibration (or it could be just ferrari signature exhaust?) so I am inclined to order the transmission mounts to do up together with the engine mounts, just in case.

Can any kind soul advise the part number for the transmission mount which I can't see here? I'm intending to order from Scuderia.

Many thanks!

Kenneth
    Singapore

22. replica469

replica469 Rookie

Jun 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Lim
    That is very helpful. Thanks Bill!

Bill Phillips likes this.
  23. replica469

replica469 Rookie

Jun 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Lim
    I have replaced my engine and transmission mounts today. The car felt calmer and the acceleration felt faster now that it doesn't vibrate heavily during mid throttle around 3000rpm. It vibrated heavily while reversing previously, now smooth. Rattles lesser too!

The old parts looked OK though.

Cost for three mounts from Scuderia came up to about usd$750 & my labour usd$220.

Great thread once again!

Beach Boy and whatheheck like this.
  24. Cooper Clark

Cooper Clark Rookie

Nov 7, 2019
    Are there just qty 2 engine mounts total on Californias? I thought most cars had 3 or 4. Thank you!