Cadillac IMSA prototype | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Cadillac IMSA prototype

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by F1tommy, Nov 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The Cadillac DPi is based on the Dallara chassis. By white ones I assume you mean the AXR cars of Whelen and Mustang Sampling?

2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Right, the Action Express cars.

They used Riley chassis Corvette DP's versus Dallara chassis Corvette for Taylors. I guess the new cars are much more complex body/aero-wise to be able to just re-body different chassis like with the old DP's.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #54 F1tommy, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Congrats to Cadillac for finishing 1-2-3 at Sebring. :)

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes they are & lots more $$$. The DPi have carbon tubs vs steel tube on the DPs.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Spoiler alert:

Good to see Cadillac do well. Also the GTLM and GTD classes looked great. Nice that Corvette won and the 488 was on podium in GTLM, and Mercedes in GTD. Ford has to loose a few races to make it look close :)

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The entire GrandAm experiment was meant to make Cup cars faster than sports cars. NASCAR
    was continually embarrassed whenever GTP would run on the same courses and their times
    would be 12-15 seconds slower than the prototypes at track such as Watkins Glen and
    Sears Point where the two competed. In fact, Cup cars were regularly slower than GTO
    cars at these circuits.

Thus, NASCAR stopped running the same configurations as sports cars on these tracks so
    the comparisons wouldn't be so glaring. The NASCAR designed GrandAm cars were intentionally
    scaled back 40 years (as William points out with tube frame design and aluminum tubs) with
    the huge hot house canopy design enclosed cockpits, all of which was completely opposite
    to modern sports car design trends.

GrandAm's own management openly stated things like "We don't care about 'traditional' sports
    car fans" and "We want to make the cars irrelevant" (direct quotes from Roger Edmundson, NASCAR's
    hand-picked guy to run GrandAm) as it was their aim to create "Man on the Street" fans who'd be
    willing to pay to see those prototurtles go roundy round.

It simply didn't work.

Now, that they've come to their senses and put cars on the track that are at least as aesthetically
    pleasing as they are fast, I'll be happy to stop pointing out GrandAm's many short falls year after
    year. It's all ancient history.

And, I knew Peter Gregg. Peter Gregg was a friend of mine and as much as I'd like to see
    his records kept alive, there is simply no way there was anything faster on the Daytona
    banking than the Nissan R90CKs, Chevrolet Corvette GTPs, Jaguar XJR-9s, etc. of the late
    GTP era. The V8 Nissan V8s which were built for Le Mans were well over 240MPH in race trim
    at the start/finish line and there simply has not been anything to compete at Daytona that
    may even come close to those speeds as they were simply getting too fast.

Is the racing relevant again? Certainly seems so. More factory participation in the prototype
    ranks would add some interest.

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    tangent, but are you working on the book/movie about Peter Gregg that is in the works?

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Congrats to Caddy, but I don't think it should be considered as such a great accomplishment. It will undoubtedly be trotted out as a great triumph, but, realistically, I don't feel the Prototype class is all that competitive.

This may be the equivalent of the Audi R8's dominance against a bunch of also-rans.

CW

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree. as with the Chevy powered DPs the last 3 seasons, there's a clear advantage to the GM powered, France family owned platforms...that of course, only their chosen teams can run.

no way in hell would I spend the money to campaign a car in IMSA Prototype under those circumstances.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yes, I agree it's not as great as an accomplishment as in years past (and it's not a factory team either). History likely will not remember it being a less competitive year/era if given enough time...I still like seeing Caddy win, though. :)

12. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I disagree-24 Hours is still 24 hours, especially with a new car. Great win.
    And the GTLM battle was amazing with Ferrai, Corvette, Porsche, Ford and BMW.
    The best Team in endurance racing(Team Corvette) did a heck of a job to pull out the win.

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I do agree that the Caddies didn't succumb to attrition. So, in this regard, they did perform better than the competition, and they deserve recognition for that. But, again, is the competition really all that? And, as noted, we're not talking factory werkes efforts by deep-pocketed manufacturers, either. It's also worth remembering, maybe, that Wayne Taylor ran Caddy's ALMS LMP1/LMP900 efforts (as a factory effort) for the 3-seasons they competed. That may no longer be relevant, but the equivalent would be if Joest showed up running in the class with a privateer Audi Prototype, maybe.

I also agree that the best racing seemed to be down in the GT ranks, which isn't really a surprise. There's a diversity of manufacturers there, which is great to see. I didn't see Vipers or Astons, sadly...

CW

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    +1

It was good to see Ferraris make the podium in both GT classes.

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There were a couple Astons at Daytona in GTD.

The factory Viper program ended last year. Viper Exchange had been running one in GTD but that program ended last year. That team is running an AMG GT this year and just won Sebring.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #68 CornersWell, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Yes, and yes, but it's not a healthy sign when the different marques don't show up. Viper's phased out, so we won't be seeing them any longer. Maybe Acura replaces them adequately? What's AM's/TRG's story? BoP? Funding? Anyone know?

Regardless, the GT ranks are more diverse and deeper than the P or PC classes. I suppose that's to be expected.

CW

Edit: TRG seems to have dropped down to a lower series.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    To put a period on the ALMS/GrandAm split...

During the height of the ALMS/GrandAm war around 2006, the powers that be in the media
    office in Daytona noticed that media requests for credentials for the 24 Hours were embarrassingly
    low, like zero.

Now, without going too deep into the notoriously appalling way media members are treated
    during sports car races at Daytona International Speedway, this is more of a commentary on
    GrandAm in particular as members of the stalwart British media that are usually counted on
    to attend were not on the list as the series simply wasn't resonating back home online or in
    print.

DIS went so far as to offer media members all expense paid trips to Daytona to attend the
    24 Hours. This included international and domestic air fare, rental car, hotel, meals, etc. and
    (hopefully) the promise that credentialed media members would not be harassed by DIS
    tin-badged security members at every turn.

Conversely, this was the same year that Audi announced the debut of the R10 TDI, the first
    diesel powered prototype to take on the challenge of Sebring and Le Mans.

The result of this was a record number of requests for credentials by media members from
    all over the world. The amount of media credential requests caused Sebring International
    Raceway to add a second media center room to accommodate the amount of work stations,
    online access, etc. required.

Oh, and as for Daytona's all expenses paid offer, three (3) media members accepted.

BHW

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    TRG was running a Porsche in GTD. They dropped out of GTD due to tire issues? Seems like a strange reason.

TRG Pulls Porsche GTD Entry Due to Daytona Tire Issues - Sportscar365

19. "Life's just a game. Fly your paper plane. There is no end."

Thunderclap Newman

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandini

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    TRG does have a privateer history with Porsches, but they're now the quasi-factory AM effort in the US based on how they characterize the relationship. I spoke with them last year about doing a seat in an AM at the 24H of Le Mans. Anyway, it's important for TRG to continue to show up, but it's disappointing that AM was absent.

CW