Cabriolet Top Replacement DIY? | FerrariChat

Cabriolet Top Replacement DIY?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by greatscott73, Jun 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I'm curious if anyone on this site has replaced the top on a Cabriolet themselves. I received a new top with my car upon purchase, and overall, it doesn't look too challenging, compared to other tops I have done. Maybe I'm missing something! New top doesn't have the pockets for the top rods sewn in, just flaps of fabric that obviously will have to be sewn shut. Other than that, anything I should know? TIA

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  3. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    I am planning to do it in the next few weeks, i am searching for tan hood webbing. I also have the rich & famous german canvas top.
    It looks like it can be done.

4. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    That is a great write-up. Thanks for digging that one out. I'm not sure it makes me any more courageous, but we'll see, lol!

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I wonder what exactly is the point of the webbing, no one seems to include it with a new top. The original top was one unit of the canvas on the frame, I wonder what Ferrari intended for top replacement back in the day, I dont think there was an oem canvas top without the full frame assembly.

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Got my new top off ebay for 525.00. cost 700 to install but it is perfect. I think I probably would have had to buy another new top by the time I was done. A mans got to know his limitations!

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I would also vote for paying someone else to do it. It is not something I do enough to be good at.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    There are some spare screw fittings for the frame pivot points about on here as i made a load recently.

9. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Good to know! Thanks.

10. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    So...had a couple of days of spare time and decided to bite the bullet. Really wasn't too bad. Fitting the fabric to the front header and then pop riveting in place was the most challenging. Took 2-3 tries to get it right. (Tip - if you attempt this, stock up on pop rivets. Top uses about 18 if you do everything right the first time. Don't ask how many I ended up using...) . One advantage I am finding already is that both my quarter windows seem to raise much easier and don't struggle on the upper part of their movement. Old top must have been just enough off to bind a bit. Photos to follow.

moysiuan likes this.
  11. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
  12. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
  13. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    Finished mine last week, along with Ron's famous B-pillars.
    If you take your time its not to difficult.