Cabriolet Mechanism, need a screw | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Cabriolet Mechanism, need a screw

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by upolld00, Sep 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How many is a set ? Are they the same size as the drawings earlier in this thread. I am assuming they are the same for all years as i do not know ?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am in the middle of making these at present- talking to the electro platers they say best to zinc plate these as it will give a key for the paint finish, makes sense as chrome is a bit smooth. I will send them to you already plated. Can you give me a number of short and long ones needed and did you manage to source a box of cheese head screws to suit.
    I also need a delivery address which you cam pm me.

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks, so much, I will tally up the requests over here and get back to you later today.

Cheers

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How many of each does each car have fitted. I have made 8 long and still doing the short ones.
    Quote from the platers for zinc plate is about $25 plus postage each way to me, based on 20 items. I can do the screws but would be easier if you could source a box full off e bay

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Things are happening, just the slots and plating to finish off

paulchua likes this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk

Attached Files:

paulchua likes this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just finishing these nuts off, 8 off each short and long. Is that enough ? Do we need screws or have you sourced some. Regarding finish, are the originals plated and if so what colour finish.
    It appears Cadmium is now banned. If these are paint finished do they need plating ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Not having heard anything back from Paulchua about dispatching these special nuts i have made, i am going to just send them out to who ever wants them. e mail me at. [email protected]
    If you are interested

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi mike32,

Super sorry I never got back to you. Things have been very busy at work. I shall send you an email with folks that said they were interested to [email protected] later this evening.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just so people understand, i have made 8 off short and 8 long. I have requests for full sets as just in case i need them/ nice to have them. I believe a full set is 12 +6. ie 18 in total and 9 hours work to make them @30 mins each.
    If you need this number, best you try the local machine shop as i am doing these at cost to help out owners get broken roofs working.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm thinking at this point Mike, it may be best to just make 1 'set' for each person. By set I mean one (1) long and one (1) short. Then let folks go to whatever machine shop to create more. I feel bad for you, and I think it will become a slippery slope indeed. You should not be expected to make so many of these.

So far I have 7 folks interested (including me) - that would mean 7 long and 7 short total.

Your thoughts?

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have 8 off each nuts made at present and about 10 out of 16 screws made, god i hate these screws. The battle continues. Now you know why i am not making full sets,

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am just finishing off machining the slots in the screws and as you need 7+7 nuts i will knock up an extra 2+2. to send you 10+10 and 8+8 screws. I think a lot of the old screws will be re useable. Can you e mail be a name and postal address and i will leave you to distribute them .

paulchua likes this.
  15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    For interest this is how the screwdriver slots are machined into the screw and nut heads

Attached Files:

paulchua likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You are a gentlemen and a scholar sir. I PMed my address and please do send me your final bill (don't be shy in charging what you deem fair, afterall we are not communists)

I will paypal you immediately or any other method of payment.

I will keep 1 long an 1 short, the rest will go to anybody else that wants them with a strict limit of 1 long and 1 short per person.

Cheers

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello All, I got in touch with Mike32. The final cost is $50 per pair. It takes him about 30 minutes to make each set + his materials. He was able to make 10 pairs.

I don't need any, but will retain buy 1 pair as a spare and distribute the other 9 to however wants them.

So $50 for a set of 2, don't worry about shipping - i got a lot of stamps here.

;)

Cheers
    if interested PM me at paulchua.

Thanks Mike32!!!

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello All,

Yes, thanks for your patience, and sorry for the delay - I've been pretty swamped at work!

Mike, the package you sent was beautiful, appreciate the note, and awesome coin!!

Folks, they are awesome - I would dare to say even better than OEM. I checked the fit and they work just fine.

I'll go over the interested parties, my if interested PM me for my paypal address

I'm already fully set, so all I'll keep is one pair. I'll ration these out first as 1 pair per person, if you need more, and there are extra, i'll send by order of this thread. I'll also repost this on the other message in the forum. If I still have extra, no problem - I plan to keep my car forever, so having a few extra of these is great.

The cost for these out of production fully bespoke components is $50 per pair - Thanks again, Mike

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Just wanted to update everyone and my apologies for the long delay.
    "Syata" your pair went out this morning
    Cost is $50 for 1 long and 1 short. I know this is 10X times more then the original estimate. This is due to the fact it takes considerable time to create this bespoke components.

I actually paid this amount to a fchat member last year for one pair - so par for the course.

I paid Mike $550 already for the 10 pairs. I'm just rationing them out to the community for $50 a pop to makes things easier.

I have 6 pairs left if anybody wants them. (I just kept 1 pair) If not, I'm happy to keep them as well. Just PM me for my Paypal address if you need em!

Can't thank Mike32 enough for his graciousness here, and I appreciate what he did for the community.

Cheers

20. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    paulchua likes this.
  21. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    I'd like a set for my '89 T-cab. Advise the paypal ID for the $50 payment. This covers US shipping? Thanks,

Geno

paulchua likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    No prob geno355, PM me for my PayPal addrres. I have 3 pairs left

23. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Mike and Paul,
    I don’t need them but I wouldn’t mind having them on the shelf.
    Plus I want to support the grass root efforts!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Cool - Ron, just PM your address, I'll send you a pair, consider them a gift from me for all you've done for me personally.

I love your roof toggles, your vent kit and your side trim.

Also huge thanks to Mike32, for fabricating these.

25. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Thanks Paul for your kind offer. Please just send me your PayPal address and I’ll be very happy to make payment. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app