CA making me go to a Smog referee.. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

CA making me go to a Smog referee..

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Zcobra1, Jul 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    That makes no sense to me and honestly that would not work because there are areas in CA that are smog exempt. As for noise abatement I can see getting ticketed for that, but a 20k fine for a noise complaint I have never heard of. What if the car was a race car that you were moving from your garage into a trailer? The neighbors complained of noise, CARB comes to my house to inspect with their mirrors, sees it is obviously a race car, then they will slap me with a 20k fine? Do you have any proof of this happening? I just looked this up and only found CARB going after transportation businesses mainly trucking businesses. I did not see any instances where CARB fined someone who had a modified car. Now I have seen and heard of people getting pulled over by LEO's and they ended up getting ref'd.

2. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    I guess I'm not writing clearly, sorry. If you are found to be violating/altering your smog equipment (doesn't matter in California where you live) you can be hit with a 20k fine. Yes, I have known instances where that has happened. I know individuals in the industry that are involved with CARB writing standards. This is for vehicles registered for the road. All I'm saying is be careful about paying a smog guy to tailpipe a clean car and report it as yours for 300 bucks.

3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

I chased a similar problem in a 2012 Corvette five years ago. There is something going on between the EVAP and the Fuel Management System. The Fuel Management System will not start the test if it thinks the EVAP system is purging (and consequently will not set a DTC since it never starts the test). What is the condition of the EVAP system on the Corvette?

AD170 offered some good advice. I would be interested in the Fuel Trim numbers as well but I believe the problem is the Fuel Management System test is being blocked. The dealership should have the ability to force the test to check the components. But that by itself won't solve the problem if the EVAP module won't let the test cycle under normal drive cycle conditions.

Zcobra1 and Prancinghorse619 like this.
  4. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Relax, if you read my post detailing the issues with the car, it is completely stock except the muffler, way past any cats, sensors, etc. No tunes, no codes, it is a glitch. No one trying to get a gross polluter with no cats, and a bunch of mods to illegally pass smog. I did just get a new OB2 reader, that I am starting to look things up. When we say help to get the monitors set it can mean to run the car on the dyno, a controlled environment for the very specific 55 mph for 3 minutes then Coast to 20 mph or less without touching brake/clutch/gas, then back up to 55-60 for 5 minutes, again coast.....not easy to do on roads around here and some cars are more sensitive.

My year 2000 Ferrari 360 sets all monitors in one drive, and even hard to set evap in a few, this 2013 sets everything except fuel quickly, so a anomaly, as other cars of his vintage do not have this issue.

Prancinghorse619 likes this.
  5. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Thanks for the response, that helps. Both fuel system and evap will not show ready. It is very common for evap to not set or never set on these cars. that is one of the options, to take it to the dealer and see if they can decipher the issue under the emissions warranty or a shop to do legal trouble shooting and see what is causing this.

6. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I appreciate the info. The OP has a completely stock vehicle. I have a hard time seeing CARB fining him. AS for CARB as a whole IMHO it is a money making gimmick. If they truly cared for the environment they would allow people to alter their vehicles to run more efficient. I smog tested 2 identical vehicles 1 was completely stock. The other was converted to run e85 (mods were: dual walbro 255, 1450cc injectors, tbe with no cat, upgraded cams, upgraded turbo, vta bov, upgraded fmic and piping, and a tune). Car with mods actually ran cleaner than the stock car on 91oct. Now due to mods the car did not pass the visual but the sniff test proved it ran cleaner.

Now that's not to say CARB is completely bad. But it is a system that is corrupt and it should allow for certain alterations as long as it does prove to run cleaner than stock. Also what this system does is it forces people to purchase new cars which is far less friendly to the environment than dealing with your current older car. I would advise you relay this to your CARB counterparts and see if they can implement this in their standards.

shifter and Zcobra1 like this.
  7. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Sounds like you need to take the car to a B&B for the weekend that has highway access. :)

Zcobra1 likes this.
  8. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Believe me after all this car bs, and some other things lately that have broken and caused some frustration, both the wife and I need a good winery getaway and drown in some grapes, cheese, and other delights !
    I will take the F-car however ......

I have a great road right by the house that I can perform the drive cycle, lightly traveled at times I know and enables me to let off and not touch the clutch, brake, and gas and coast down from 55 to 20, hard to do on the highway......unless it is 3am and then getting to the highway messes up the drive cycle. And with my luck lately, a Chippy will see me do that and tag me for it !

Thanks for the advice, I know everyone is just trying to help, and it is appreciated !

9. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I replaced the evap purge valve, disconnected the battery overnight and drove it once. Fuel and fuel evap not set, along with cat and O2. Cat and O2 takes a few starts and some highway cruising will do it. Evap takes forever and you can pass smog with it not ready. Fuel is a constant monitor and should set right away....Kind of had given up and decided to take it to Excelsior Motorsports in Escondido so they could do diagnostics and figure out the issue. Lo and behold, when I got there the fuel monitor had set ! Maybe the new part, the extended drive, don't know, just glad the monitor set finally.

I appreciated the tip on the purge valve, I think that was it. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out !

10. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I'm so glad it worked, I know how frustrating it is to chase a problem like that. I do have a suggestion.....record all the OBDC values related to Fuel and O2 just so that you have a future baseline. There will come a time when you have to change the battery or reset a completely different code that will start the process all over again and having a baseline means you won't be chasing things that are okay but appear to be off.

Congrats.