CA Historic vehicle License Plate | Page 3 | FerrariChat

CA Historic vehicle License Plate

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by miketuason, Jan 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good point, let's keep this in the low down

2. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #52 RVIDRCI, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    DMV double checked their manuals, called in supervisors, scratched their heads....
    And then..... completed my registration, as I met all the criteria and had all the documentation required. Smog exempt status, no cert needed and I was due for that TODAY. I get to keep my RVIDRCI plate ( $38 a year, for future use) and my fees will now be $109 a year, total, including the personalized plate retention fee. New Historic plates arrive in 6 weeks+/-.

I say we officially start our new club ,"So Cal Historic Ferrari 308 Club" (Mike T for President!!), get window stickers made, and then we would always be "participating in parades or historic vehicle club driving events". 100% compliance, thats how I roll....

EDIT: FYI (from the CA DMV website FAQ re: historic vehicle reg)

"Vehicles manufactured after 1922 that are at least 25 years old are considered historic vehicles and are eligible for Historical Vehicle plates. These vehicles must be of historic interest, meaning that they are collectible and are used for exhibitions and car club meetings."

Like I said, in compliance 100%

3. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congrats Lou, glad you got it:) Wasn't that easy?

4. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    "Ahnold" doesn't even have a motorcycle endorsement. I guess you don't need one when you drive/ride a trike...

Not a bad idea to have insurance though, if your 12 year old son is in the hack and you hit the neighbor lady pulling out of your driveway....

jus' sayin'...

5. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Maybe I'm a little geeky, but here is the section from the vehicle code describing the historic plates in detail:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004.htm

The caveats seem only to be that you need heed the rules in Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600. Which, respectively, mean you need mirrors, a muffler, and fenders... nothing more. A quick search of the VC for each section number gives the details. And, interestingly, the $25 reg fee is deposited into the same fund as the fee for environment plates, so it seems you're helping the environment at the same time.

I'm not an attorney, but as a layman reading the VC it seems pretty straightforward. And the phrase at the end "...a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities." would seem to indicate that it's legal to drive beyond just parades and club events. So it seems to me that as long as it's not your regular driver, it's fine.

6. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    depends on the Monique who is working at the DMV or AAA who you present your reg to, again its subject to scrutiny at the DMV.

If you have a high end car marque, should be no problem but say if you have a 78 rare edition GM product they can actually turn you down and say this is not a historical car.
    This is also a problem say if you have something rare as a late 70's Fiat product and this dictator at the DMV in their brain thinks its not a classic or a historical vehicle.

The problem is now is that depending who you speak with at the DMV there is going to be that arbitration that one will need to argue.

Benefits
    No Smog needed.
    To be driven in parades or special events only.

Drawbacks
    2500 mileage limitations per year.
    if your pulled over by a LEO you will have to do some explaining with this sort of plate on the car.

yes officer, its my weekend car and I'm taking it in for repairs, btw shouldn't you be pulling over that van filled with Illegals over there ?

7. bleu

bleu Rookie

Nov 1, 2011
    Really you were able to keep your personalized plates? How'd you do that? You just tell them that you wanna keep it when you go get your historical plates?? I have personalized plates too, that's why I ask.

8. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Pardon me but WHERE the EFF is the registration form the Historical Vehicle title? I can't gind it anywhere on the CA DMV website.

9. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Uh..."find it" not "gind it"...

Jeez.

10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Scott, I sent you PM

11. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    You get to keep the personalized plate and the right to own it. You still have to run the historic plate DMV issues you on the car. I plan to hang my RVIDRCI plate in the garage, for possible future use (348 serie speciale? 550 ?) or maybe back on the 308, who knows ?? who is John Galt?

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good News! I just got my registration renewal yesterday and as I knew it but not 100% sure as I was just going by what others tell me since I got my historical plate. now I have proof on my hand that my car (84QV) doesn't require smog anymore. :) It's suppose to be due this time but not anymore. I just thought I let you guys know.

13. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    good for you mike!

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How did you confirm that "historic" vehicles built after 1975 don't require smog testing?

15. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jon, if you look here, it falls under #3 rules: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004.htm
    And look here and scroll down to Historical Vehicle: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/plates/specialplates.htm
    also, I had the people from the DMV double check to make sure I'll never need smog and they said YES, no more smog check/test needed as long as you have the CA Historical Vehicle plate.

16. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think this is a loophole we should keep under our hats. By that I mean only tell people who need to know and will do the same--all it takes is one indignant ecofreak to call his representative complaining of how this is an egregious sin against the environment and they could close it.

17. American Pie

American Pie Karting

Nov 3, 2007
    Camarillo, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    #67 American Pie, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    Agreed. Eventually word might get around to kids with 1970s-'80s Camaros and Mustangs, or people with clapped-out old daily drivers who just want to avoid the smog expenses and hassles. Get too many people like this driving around every day, getting speeding tickets, busted for drag racing, observed being "gross polluters" (California speak), etc., and that'll be all the ammunition they'll need to take it all away.

Old Chinese proverb: "Alas, four horses cannot overtake the tongue."

18. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim

I recently acquired a Triumph TR6 for which I wanted to get HV plates. The woman at the desk said, "My uncle used to have one, therefore it can't be of historical significance." (!) I disagreed and she said they would send the request to Sacramento and let them decide. I just did a regular renewal this time because it was due and the HV plate wasn't much cheaper and would take 6 weeks to process (she said, which I think was a lie).

19. bri_ola

bri_ola Rookie

May 2, 2012
    HI All -

Been reading the forum about HV plates, and wondering what exactly is the historical significance you put down for some of your cars?

I just bought a '64 Land Rover Series 2.. full on african jeep safari style looking car. I want to get HV plates, but am wondering what the historic significance is - other than age? I was told that just being old is not enough to qualify.

Any suggestions, tips, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bri_ola

20. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I needed to get my 308 smogged recently. So I was poking around the DMV site and came across this bulletin clarifying smog requirements for cars with historical tags. Seems somebody in the Gov. Moonbeam administration decided to 'crack down' on historical vehicle owners... of course the clear scourge of California air quality. I would have thought that a state government facing a multi-billion dollar deficit would have higher priorities than this... but I would be wrong.

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_memos/vin2012/12vin12.pdf

21. American Pie

American Pie Karting

Nov 3, 2007
    Camarillo, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Oh, GREAT! I knew the exemption was too good to last. The rabid environmentalists here won't give up until they've sent as many cars as possible to the crusher.

I see two possible scenarios for my future as a car enthusiast: (1) Continue to live in CA but own only smog-exempt, pre-1976 cars or (2) Move out of this insane state to a place where you don't have a big government boot constantly bearing down on your chest.

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Most of the automotive forums I frequent have all giggled and wink-winked about this topic for quite some time now. Plenty of smug assurances and comments about how great it is to not smog their cars, yet be able to ignore the usage requirements of the plate because those "dummies" in government won't ever do anything about it.
    All happily discussed on public forums-surprised its taken this long for the smog loophole to evaporate.

23. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1. This was a loophole that was bound to get closed as soon as someone in Sacramento noticed it.

24. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Effing POS California. Hate this state; wish I could move but have extenuating circumstances keeping me here.

25. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    You don't have to move, it's the politicians running it that have to!!