CA Historic vehicle License Plate | Page 2 | FerrariChat

CA Historic vehicle License Plate

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by miketuason, Jan 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

He snuck that one in on his way out the door, fooker.

2. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Actually, Arnold's repeal of the 30 year rolling exemption law was signed in 2004. Since then we have been dealing with the current law which exempts, in relevant part, only cars older than 1976.

There was a more recent attempt to pass a law requiring annual smog inspections for all cars older than 30 years. That, thankfully, never made it out of committee.

As for the 35 year old exemption? That is not a full exemption from smog tests. If your car qualifies, it is only exempt from one portion of the test, which is the visual inspection of the emissions equipment. It still has to pass the other portions of the test, most notably the emmissions test: Here is the relevant portion of the code section:

(c) For purposes of subdivision (a), a collector motor vehicle, as
    defined in Section 259 of the Vehicle Code, is exempt from those
    portions of the test required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 if
    the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
    (1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a
    collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the
    bureau.
    (2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years old.
    (3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions
    standards for that motor vehicle's class and model-year as prescribed
    by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional
    inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel
    leaks.

3. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have a '79 GT4. I've owned it since January of 2006. The previous owner smogged it prior to sale, and I then got historic plates a few months after purchase.

I have yet to smog the car.

5 years of ownership - not one visit to a test station.

Take from that what you will.

4. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    wow...good to know, thanks for posting...

5. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Excellent to hear. It is probably worth applying for and getting hitoric plates and see what happens. Does anyone have any experience driving on the road with historic plates? Are you subject to hassles from the Police about whether you are exceeding the scope of permitted use?

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I don't think you would unless you're ticketed on your way to work with a cop that wants to bust your balls. I don't blame someone for wanting to do this especially a car that falls under eternal smog rules that Arnold passed just before leaving.

7. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #32 Perfusion, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    I've always thought of the "what if" situation (re: LEOs) like this: Sure, the restrictions on use are pretty heavy as spelled out on the DMV website. Should I ever need to explain what my car is doing on the road, but not in a parade, nor in a historical vehicle exhibition, I expect that stating one of the following things:

- I'm on my way to my mechanic's / I'm on my way home from my mechanics

- I do my own work (point to greasy hands); I'm simply road testing to ensure the car is ready for next weekend. "What's next weekend?" "Historical vehicle exhibition." "Oh, okay..."

- I'm on my way to a car show (c'mon - there's one practically every weekend in SoCal)

- I'm on my way home from a car show / dealer to discuss trade / exhibition

- I haven't driven the car in 3 months and needed to circulate the fluids - on my way home now, Officer - swear.

...should get me a "pass," and honestly, are pretty damned hard to refute. Frankly, I think as long as you're not doing WOT pulls down the boulevard with your seatbelt off and your front seat full of grocery bags from Safeway and/or empty beer cans, you should be fine in the event of an encounter. Most, if not all, of the LEOs I've come across in various vehicles were car guys. "Bigger fish to fry," and all...

8. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Did he recently pass further legislation that I am unaware of, or are you still referring to AB 2683, doing away with the rolling exemption and establishing 1975/76 as the cut-off, which he signed in his first year in office?

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Oops I fooked up. This is what he snuck through recently.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger Signs Bill Requiring EPA Label Exhaust Systems
    Published by Cyril Huze September 29th, 2010 in Customs, Editorial, Events and Exhaust.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a Bill Tuesday that targets motorcyclists who remove federally mandated, factory-installed emission control devices and replace them with custom aftermarket parts. EPA states that the legislation is aimed at quieting the deafening roar of modified rides and at reducing emissions.

The new law will make it a crime to operate in California (or titled in California?) a motorcycle manufactured after Jan. 1, 2013, that does not meet federal noise-emission control standards. Motorcyclists whose vehicles lack the proper U.S. Environmental Protection Agency label will face fines of up to $100 for a first-time violation and up to $250 for subsequent infractions. The initial ticket can be voided if the individual makes the required corrections.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration California is home to more than 10 percent of the country’s registered motorcycles,

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It'd be pretty hard to pin you on anything even if they wanted to. The only time you'd be driving a historic car is for short jaunts for X car reason or to say Monterey and that would be justifiable during Pebble time.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

There is already a law in place that forbids any modification to any motor vehicle that increases noise.
    When I was a dip**** kid that thought loud cars were cool I had a drawer full of tickets for that.

How many of Ahnolds Harleys have stock pipes?

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know a lot of people that have Historic plates. Two cars in the shop with them now. Never heard of a ticket for them. To many exceptions for use to bother.

13. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    How many of Ahnolds Harleys have gotten a ticket?

14. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...mid 60's GM sled.

Never hasseled by the man. It's a cruizer.

It's not exactly in the same catagory as an Fcar.

Drive anything on two or three wheels and I don't think it much matters what license plate is hanging from the back or front...bracelets and a black and white taxi ride awaits.

And any tow yard will still bend it some how.

15. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    So Mike, any additional info? I'm pretty certain this is a no go.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh Henry, you'll be surprise what I found out from a friend who works a the DMV who asked her supervisor to check with the Sacramento office. Hang on and I'll tell you in a lip bit.

17. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #42 miketuason, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok I just got my plate last week for my 84 QV So let see next March if I will require a smog test. According to DMV supervisor and Sacramento, I don't but if do, no big deal maybe I'll
    switch back to the regular plate as my car passes the emission test anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. guido ferrari

guido ferrari Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    I put historic plates on my gt4 back before it aged out of the smog check. I did not have to get a smog check after that BUT it was a huge argument, knock-down drag-out fight with the DMV every time.

Since the car has aged out now (1975 model) I'm toying with the idea of going back to a vanity plate. Guess I'm afraid of the scenario where:

1975 goes back into the smog program years.

Historic plates no longer issued, but existing historic plates are exempt from smog.

Too unlikely to worry about ? My crystal ball is cloudy ...

Thanks,

GF

19. guido ferrari

guido ferrari Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    So, is the California historic plate still working as a means to escape the smog check for anyone ?

Thanks,

GF

20. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #45 miketuason, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    I met this gal at concourse car show who own a 1984 QV with the Historic licens plate.
    I"ve asked her how long has she had the plate and if she still need to get her car smog,
    she said, I had the plate for five years and I never had to get my car smog ever. So I guess
    that's a good news but I will find out for sure in March next year (my car suppose to be due for smog test) as I only had mine for five months.

21. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    keep us posted Mike..our fingers are crossed!

22. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Will do!

23. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I have a feeling that this will still vary from one county to another. As is right now, some counties in CA require stage II testing (on a dyno), some stage I (no dyno), and others do not require a smog check (usually the more rural counties). This all has to do with if the counties are in "attainment" with the CA Clean Air Act (if I recall properly from my days of working at the Air Pollution Control District). Please keep us informed though Mike.

24. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Henry, the lady I spoke to, either lives in Orange County or LA County.
    But I will definitely keep you inform.

25. American Pie

American Pie Karting

Nov 3, 2007
    Camarillo, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Early this year I got Historical Vehicle plates for my '85 BMW 635, which I drive <1500 miles/year. (The car must be at least 25 years old to qualify.) When I applied I was told by the DMV that smog tests would no longer be required. I also know several other owners of classic BMWs and Ferraris who have the HV plates, and aren't required to have their cars smogged.

My concern is that if too many people get caught abusing this privilege by purchasing HV plates for vehicles used for daily driving, the regulators will take it away. It's probably best if not too many non-enthusiasts find out about it.