Ca 400i advise? | FerrariChat

Ca 400i advise?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Mmckee, Mar 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone out here in California that I can talk to about the BHCC convertible? I’m interested, but not knowledgeable enough on this model to move forward.

2. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually, I like the non-responses. I felt that would be a silly move, & way over my head on what I want to commit, time & money wise. But, I do love older convertible V-12 F cars. But, I also love carbs & 3 pedals.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Am I correct to assume "BHCC" is the used car dealership in LA area and the car in question is something they're offering ?
    I'm not super knowledgeable on either but can probably offer some advise if you still want any and care to continue privately.

4. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes & thanks, but I’ve decided to not pursue the car. Thanks again for responding.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Probably a sound decision, at least financially speaking.;)

6. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I went to see this car and it looks pretty good.
    The rear shocks are shot for sure, but the engine looks as if a lot of work had been done recently. The interior is very nice with just enough aging.
    The muffler is not correct.

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Did you start it? If not, one wouldn’t be able to truly tell about the rear suspension.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1 As with any Ferrari, just "seeing" the car is far from enough to determine what kind of shape it is in.

9. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I didn't. I wanted to but they were busy. I can head back anytime. Only 20 minutes away.

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    "Too busy" to start up a car that they have for sale? I guess they would prefer that you just hand them a check for full ask and haul it out on a flat bed.

Reminds me of my experience in looking at a 400i 5 speed at Wide World of Cars in New York. I called in advance, told them I was looking for one and interested in seeing and driving that car. I set up an appointment on the weekend, drove over an hour to get there only to find that the car was buried in the back of their storage facility and was not available to be moved or driven. Total waste of time. Aside from a price that was too high to begin with, they held onto that car for well over a year before dropping the price and, presumably, actually selling it. Must have been a consignment.

11. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Yes, these guys do this on purpose I think. They act like its so busy and rushing all over the place etc..Maybe my bad shoes did me in. Should have worn Amani.

12. robinlarry

robinlarry Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Any thoughts on the 400i conversion there at the moment? (10/10/18) Listed on Ebay.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I'm not an expert but based on what I have read here if you are in CA make sure the car has the CA emissions sticker. If it doesn't the car basically is unregistrable there as the process required to get one is extremely cumbersome.

14. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Just curious, when I acquired my car nearly 20 years ago, it had a BAR sticker. I also have several smog checks from California DMV showing it passing their tests.
    When I sold it to a guy in Canada, the Canadian DMV removed the BAR sticker and put one of their stickers in its place in the door jamb.
    What would be the process for getting my car legal in CA at this point?