C8 CORVETTE | Page 21 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's still not determined from what I understand. The MY change over should have been August. So Oct is really pushing it.

At this point I would rather have a 2021 Vert if it was just a few months delay.

Todd308TR likes this.
  2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    El Mayor has his finger on the reason, entirely justified IMHO. Having practiced law in NYC since 1955 let me assure you that GM's concern here is potential liability for an incorrectly repaired car that has a repaired component that fails, resulting in a crash that kills someone(s). Their engineers know the tensile and torsional strength of each piece of metal and other substance used in the structure of the car. this information will be shared with GM authorized repair centers. You can be certain the GM's general counsel raised this question early in the process.

anunakki, thecarreaper and jm2 like this.
  3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#503 dwhite, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Practicing law since 1955. Holy moly, you have to be almost 90 years old, fantastic.

I hate to say it, but at $70-$90K any heavy accident will probably result in a total, like a lotus Elise. We will see how expensive it gets to insure one later on.

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Prices are still high on it, the only thing they shouldn't have cheaped out on from the factory was the dampers. They were terrible. At 150mph on the autobahn, I could have done without the Ti exhaust and could have used some damn QA-1s even to keep the rear end from bouncing. But I destroyed so many 911s on the 'Ring and the 'Bahn it was worth it.

5. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    This is why we have hoped the Vette would merge with Cadillac because Chevy has made Vettes with special delivery and maintenance instructions for many decades. Instructions too many chevy dealers ignore.

TheMayor likes this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If I remember correctly you can take one of these to any GM service department, including Caddy. The problem is they treat a Corvette customer no different than a Cruse customer.

Todd308TR likes this.
  7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#507 dwhite, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    It's a chevy. Suburbans cost as much for cripes sake. Corvette has been and they continue to hold to their roots of an afordable sports car, just because its ME does not change their image and it's why its $70-$80 grand for most ordered. Want to feel special get the bespoke car for 100s of thousand. Snobbery comes at a cost.

I think caddy folks would feel like why is that chevy in my dealer. Remember caddy was king of the hill at GM forever, they finally got that back and probably don't want to relinquish it any time soon.

Solid State and energy88 like this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  9. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    It's not about feeling special it's about the negligence of the special instructions.

10. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    It's about the special instructions, the Caddy dealer is just as ignorant. The dealers use the newest employees to prep new cars and change oil, two places where Vettes have special instructions, and cars have been ruined because of this.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    GM has two problems with the Vette.

One is what you say -- about Dealer service

The other is Dealership sales people, who have no idea how different a Vette customer is from someone buying a Chevy Cruise or Silverado or SUV.

Lexus is a great example of how to move the cars, the service AND the dealership experience up as they make more and more expensive luxury items. GM still likes to think of everyone as the same -- just another customer.

sainthoo and vincent355 like this.
  12. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    It's just takes one point of contact for a Chevy dealer's Vette customers, and that person would insure special instructions are observed. Dealers that sell lots of Vettes tend to have their acts together. It's funny that all my Vette dealership experience was in Germany and they were awesome!

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    :D Made me laugh.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Worst part for me right now is I have seen two new C8, both traveling the opposite direction and both on flatbeds - probably being delivered to new owners somewhere on Long Island. Hoping to see one on the ground in the near future.

With the continued closure of most businesses in NYC/Long Island the Sunday morning car gathering are not happening, otherwise I'm sure I would have been able to get a look at one by now.

15. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C

Attached Files:

of2worlds and sasso1977 like this.
  16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Follow up:
    I am not yet comfortable in car, so bear that in mind- I only had 3 sessions

long story short: a very good car, not quite “great” like some others I’ve had on track (Ariel Atom, race cars, 600LT). The perfect street car/GT, canyon carver.

Observations: Car has some understeer in entry which you can transition to oversteer with throttle- weird, still adjusting to that.

Michelin PS4s are not good- they are greasy after 1-2 hot laps. The old PS2s were a better track tire. Whatever they did to make them more all season and all weather came with a cost.

GM “high performance” brake pads suck.

The “hot set up” according to the pros- 32-34 hot psi on Goodyear Cup tires (DOT approved). GM spec alignment, but need to take some rake out of the car (which I have not done yet, and I don’t have details).

KNS offers a 2 piece, aluminum hat brake package- go for that. Need to get pad info too (C-tec or Carbotec?)

video for fun (spare me the critique- meh tires, no brake pads left, and I wasn’t comfortable with set up):

BJK, vincent355 and sasso1977 like this.
  17. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Brake pads: G-loc 12

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  19. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Agree, my car in bright sunlight
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

sasso1977, Auraraptor and TheMayor like this.
  20. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Oops- Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R (that is a mouth full)

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Watched most of vid, jumped around. Didn't see you get passed once. Fastest guy out there? Please share vid with a little more competition. ;) Thanks for sharing.
    What was left of your fronts after that? Can hear/feel the rubber coming off those fronts with that understeer.
    Have you ever driven a Cayman on track? Just not enough power?

22. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yeah, I didn’t give any point bys, but there was a retired NASCAR that I’m sure had more pace.

Tires were okay (Michelin PS2s) for tread, but they suck (will be getting Goodyear Eagle F1 3Rs). They only lasted 1-2 hot laps. (When Randy Probst did his lap- it was 1 hot lap and done). Understeer gives way to controllable rotation with throttle.

I had a GT4 for a little bit. Only had it on track once- which was great, but being long in the torso, my head rubbed the roof with a helmet on. Just got a 997.2 GT3 RS- plan to give that a twirl after “pinning” coolant lines.

Jo Sta7 and BJK like this.
  23. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I just got on the list for a 2021 C8 convertible to share with a different buddy. The salesman confirmed that the factory will continue making 2020's through October.

My earlier order with my main car partner is at level 3000, and has been accepted for 2020 production so hoping on the fall. Got an email from the Museum about our delivery there, and asking what to put on the special badge you get. My partner said " For Sale" but probably going with 50 years of Friendship. I asked the Museum contact about a possible date, and he said the TPW (?) is 10/19, so hoping October delivery.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm just guessing here but I think mine will be a 2020 built in September with pick up in Oct. Seems to me convertibles will start production in mid Aug.

25. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ak Jim, of2worlds, BJK and 2 others like this.