Bye bye Perez! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Bye bye Perez!

Discussion in 'F1' started by A348W, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Actually Andreas, I agree with you on all counts, but I was meaning that Haas pushing the Alpha Tauris into the leads of best of the rest :p

tifosi12 likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Senna1994 and nsxrebel like this.
  3. DF1

Be good for Otmar to simply shut his mouth -

Sergio Perez
    "Tenacious" Perez "deserves to be in F1" - Szafnauer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer hopes Sergio Perez is able to secure a position on the grid after being dropped by the team for 2021.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    What about "Tenacious" Stroll? Not Lance, I mean Lawrence.

5. DF1

At least someone is 'tenacious' lol.

6. DF1

Good news hopeful for Perez!! https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/153865/perez-already-has-options-for-2022-formula-1-return

Sergio Perez claims he already has options to secure a Formula 1 comeback in 2022 if he is forced to take a sabbatical next year.

Perez has two races remaining with the Racing Point team before leaving after it opted to trigger an exit clause in his contract so it could sign four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel from Ferrari.

After being rebuffed by Williams and missing out on seats at Haas and Alfa Romeo, Perez has been left chasing the vacant seat at Red Bull as his only option to stay in F1 full-time next year.

Perez has previously said that he will take a sabbatical from F1 next year if he does not land the Red Bull seat, with a view to return in 2022 at a project that motivates and excites him.

Speaking in a press conference with Mexican media on Monday, Perez revealed that he already has offers on the table to secure a seat for 2022.

"I already have options to return to F1 in 2022, so it would not be a problem," Perez said.

"But what I want to do, I want to do 100% convinced, and today no other category catches my attention [for 2021].

"Surely a year will take you away from the competition a bit, but you have to take into account that the rules will change a lot in 2022. I think that would not affect me much.

"In the end, with the experience I have, I would return to F1 and within 200 laps, I would be at my level.

"We have seen this with other drivers who leave and return the following year."

Perez revealed during the press conference that there is a chance he could take up a reserve driver position with one of the largest teams next year, but was reluctant to attend every single race in such a role.

"There is this possibility of being a reserve, and I have to discuss it," Perez said.

"There's a chance with one of F1's biggest teams to be their reserve.

"But I am not very convinced that I would travel to all races as a reserve. There are 23 races, and I will be away from home, from my family, all the time without running.

"At this point in my career, I would not take it, but it is still under discussion that I can do fewer races.

"Whenever I am more clear about what will happen to my F1 career, we will talk about it."

7. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Come on over to Indycar!

375+ likes this.
  8. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    I wonder what are his options for 2022. He mentions that he has a few, but honestly it doesn't look too good. Ferrari is good with their drivers, as does Mercedes
    even if Hamilton retires (very long shot), Russell may fill the void for either driver, if Bottas gives way. Then Red Bull; if they don't choose him now, why would they elect for him then. So that leaves McLaren or Renault. Alonso will still be at Renault? Partner Riccardo at McLaren? That's the only so-so realistic option. I mean, I just don't see a very clear path for him, unfortunately.

9. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Doesn't Ocon's contract expire after the 21' season, and I could see him moving to McLaren in 22' if they
    feel he's an upgrade to the team. Concerning RB, maybe they'll give Albon one more year and if he doesn't
    improve then it would open the door for Perez'?

10. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Sergio seems adamant that he will be in F1 in 2022. Speculation start - where do you think he will land? Williams?

11. DF1

I would hope a better drive

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Surely Red Bull is a great possibility for him, only against Hulk....

ktu likes this.
  13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Perez deserves a seat in F1 but the odds against the Thai sponsored RB seat are against him. In addition he is getting up there in age. He might or might not come back in 2022.

I could easily see him in IRL and run away with an Indy 500 victory.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You can't assume that all ex-F1 drivers want to race on the ovals--many do not.

15. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    What about the Thai owners of Red Bull?

16. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    The pressure is mounting on Red Bull after this weekend. Watching Perez overtaking Albon after being last on lap 1 must be a bad look on him.
    In their view, he should have been at least on the podium since Verstappen was out and the Mercedes got out of contention by their pitstop miscues.
    To me it looks one Red Bull and three Alpha Tauris. I hope Perez gets the seat.

17. DF1

Considering how they treat opponents of Max interally, maybe he is better off not being there. Toxic Team Marko Madness

18. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Yes, it could turn out biased, but in Checo's view, he wants at least one chance for getting a shot at. I'm sure he won't mind taking the Massa role
    for a year or two. Does Checo have the mental strength to fight them of? That will be interesting to see. Where Checo lacked big time was in qualifying and
    that would certainly look bad against Verstappen, but he has improved during the last year or so. I'd still love to see how it would pan out.

DF1 likes this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just heard that Red Bull signed Perez already over a week ago. Albon knew, hence him being pissed off on the podium....

I must have missed something...

piolaxo and sammysaber like this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Albon not doing himself any favours under-performing. No idea where he'll go...Tsunoda misspoke on Sunday saying it was uup to Red Bull to announce him. Albon gone completely?

21. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    That would be a massive news when it becomes official.

jpalmito and Bas like this.
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    he's been reliable so far, so fingers crossed!

piolaxo and jpalmito like this.
  23. DF1

Four-times world champion Sebastian Vettel now has big shoes to fill next season after Sergio Perez won Sunday's Sakhir Grand Prix for Racing Point, Formula One's motorsport managing director Ross Brawn said on Monday.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The 33-year-old German is joining from Ferrari, where he has been out of sorts of late, to what will be the Aston Martin team in 2021 in a move that has pushed on-form Mexican Perez out of the door.

Perez, three years younger and in the form of his life, is fourth in the drivers' standings after his first F1 win. He has no seat lined up for next year, however.

Brawn, in a column on the formula1.com website, repeated his view that it will be a 'tragedy' if Perez is not racing next season.

"The team must be thinking about the decisions they have made, losing him when he's driving so well," said the Briton.

"His replacement Sebastian Vettel I'm sure will come back stronger, as he's in a bit of a trough at the moment, but Checo (Perez) is a guaranteed deal. So that'll be interesting to see how that develops.

"In a way, Seb has some fairly big shoes to fill now, even if he's a world champion."

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I can always count on Seb to disappoint.

Mark this post, he will struggle against Stroller, and his mediocrity will be forever be cemented and Stroller's father will play up how talented his son is...

tifosi12 likes this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I suspect that this might be a motive for hiring Seb--to give Lance the opportunity to outperform a 4 time WDC.

NeuroBeaker and tifosi12 like this.