Buying a vintage Ferrari- who? | FerrariChat

Buying a vintage Ferrari- who?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by mibi, Jan 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am thinking of getting back into a Ferrari. but I want to get 330, 365 GT2+2, 250 GTE, or possibly a 365GTB or 250 PF
    My question for you is this:
    Of the different brokers, purchasing assistants and dealers around, if you had to chose one to align with and help you search, who would it be?
    I'm not looking for the obvious dealers that post all day long, sometimes with scrupulous cars- but rather the connected person who is going to find me the car i want at a fair price, with an accurate description.
    Many Thanks
    Michael

2. feiss

feiss Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Bologna Italy
    Full Name:
    Carlo Faccioli
    I have seen Mr CARINI F40 in Connecticat and I am sure that it is THE FIRST in U.S.A for collectors !!!
    Carlo Faccioli Bologna Italy

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    William Kontes at "Private Garage" (see his ad in Cavallino) is the rarest of all. He is a painfully honest broker and used car dealer. Bill has assisted me for over 30 years in both buying and selling. I recommend him highly.

4. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Contact Tom Yang at tomyang.net. A totally straight shooter. Good luck,Mike

5. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Having had 38 cars in my 30 years collecting and still collecting and rqcing qnd showing ( although not my primary pusoe) and having had more Ferrari than any other makes, I would not start by this end.

First question: which model do you really like. They are very different cars and I assume price and condition should not be the only determinent of your purchase. Which style do you prefer and period: early cars like 250GT and GTE are very different from Daytona and 365GTC/4. Which technology for what purpose, if driving on motorway nicer to have a later car with strong disc brakes. If on B roads mainly, not too much a problem.

Second question: which use, do you want to drive during week end tours, on your own, with others or clubs, or show the car or keep it as a trophy in your garage connected by a glass ceiling to your living room? Again this will have an impact on what you want to buy. But none of those cars are eligible for first class driving or racing events, unless you have a GTO on the side and takes this one not to impress friends. Dear Brandon does that. From time to time..

Last question: which condition. Do you want an honest driver , a 3+ condition, or a show car ie platinum one, FC certified, with few owners? In some cases, I agree provenance and condition can trigger a choice. I bought 2 308, both carbs, one GTS because it was a 2 owner black car with saddle interior and belonging to a friend, and a light green metallic GTB also carbureted because it is such an unusual color. Finding a very unusual color, like gold metallic Queen Mary or dark red cars ( Rubino or marrone, ) or pino verde) usually at least for me has an appeal that a Rosso corsa car does not have specially for road cars.

Once you have narrowed your choice, you can start looking around, from on line sources, magazines, usual suspect brokers, looking at auctions, talking to collectors etc and at the end you need to inspect the car and have someone you trust inspecting for you ( my mechanic inspect for me, althoguh I have bought cars unseen but well known cars,,,and they are not necessarily the worst) and having bought from all different sources I never had to complain except if I did not stick to the proper discipline like seeing a car that needs a lot of work and pretend it is a driver etc. But at the end the most expensive mistake is to buy a non properly restored car at the price of a real concours one, as you will need a full bare metal restoration to bring the car back to the level you wanted. I even bought barn finds at auctions, two at Gooding actually , one ultimately needed a full restoration and deserved it, to be at PB level, and the other can drive with its 30 years old paint and its original leather slightly scruffy.
    But none of this was a real surprise, I would have preferred not to do a full restoration for a car that sat 40 years in a garage, but if needed to be done, then it has to be done.

So this is the end of a lengthy email, sorry if it sound like a lecture on collecting, but did not want to miss the opportunity to remind every one that collecting is not just buying and selling, it is choosing, looking around, connecting to people, learning to evaluate them and the cars as well, and this is the real pleasure. The car is just an alibi ,,,,

And on this note, i also take the opportunity to wish a very nice new year to the whole community of cars enthusiasts , in particular the Ferrari ones!!

6. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bira = all great points. I try to collect/buy/sell/drive different things, more for the experience and education and enjoyment than anything else. so I am not stuck on any one model.

recently, I bought a 66 Harley FLH and rebuilt the top end, and then sold it.took it all apart just to replace the Rocker boxes, having never owner a harley. when it started on the 3rd try, i was in heaven. i wanted to learn about american iron. I have had numerous old mustangs, an alfa, mercedes coupes from the early 70s, and currently have a 190SL and a 912 and a mid 60s ducati. I am all over the map, which is great. For me, when I see the right car, its easy to tell and it matter less which model and more that I have a connection.

My 190SL- I am the second owner. I have every receipt from day one and the original Black plate. The seller wouldn't sell until they knew how I was going to take great care of mom's original car that she drove for 184K miles. its never been apart. Very Similar story with the Porsche. neither are concours- I drive them- in fact today i drove the 912 to work to catch up on some paperwork. and yes, I would drive a GTB if I had one, assuming it wasn't a grade 1 show car. That makes no sense to me. If its not rusted, and needs some mechanical work- no problem.

my 912 is sepia brown with a light beige interior. thats what attracted me to it.. cool late 60s vintage "off the chart" different color. So I totally understand your points and agree.

Appreciate everyones help

7. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Marc Tauber helped me with the purchase of my 330 GTC and my 365 GT 2+2. He is honest and straightforward. BTW, William Kontes was involved in the sale of my 330 GTC way back in 1970. These guys have been around the business for over 30 years and know what's available for private sale.

8. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I have a 250 GTE I might want to sell and I also have a series 2 330 GT2+2. Both are not perfect, platinum winning cars but good 4's. I'm trading up for other F cars so I want to free up funds. If you are interested in talking to the owner of a cars (they are both in NY), please send me a PM.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would start by subscribing to Ferrari Market Letter, and seeing what's on the market. Then make a few calls, visit a few cars, and see what grabs you-- and who you like, from a dealer point of view.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Eddie Karam is as good as anyone I've worked with. Extremely honest, knows what he's talking about, and only buys top quality cars.

11. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Don,
    of course on FML already- been there for years. cars rarely show up and still available. Got yesterdays FML, looked immediately. usually its just the Gullwings and Autosports type cars so I may take this approach.That said, Thomas- I Pm'd you. Michael

12. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    What do you mean autosports and gullwing cars

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Bill Kontes is the Gold Standard.

14. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I sold a GTE based on this comment that I made in this thread.. lol. The market is hot. I'm not sure I want to sell the 330GT2+2 unless I find a 330GTC.

15. hhibbett

hhibbett Karting

Aug 24, 2008
  16. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    Amen!

However -----
    I am not sure what you mean - if it is for racing - yes! If "driving" (my 330 is a driver) I would like to push back a bit, unless you define driving differently than I do!

Cheers
    Warren

17. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    I was referring to classic car racing events like Tour Auto starting tomorrow etc. you can have a very nice road car including 330 or 365 GT or GTC/4 of 250 PF coupe but none of those cars are eligible for fist car driving or racing events defined as organized tours for sports cars like Le Mans classic, Goodwood, Monaco, tour auto, Modena cento ore , Laguna seca etc. of course there are pure driving events but those are different from the above. This is what I meant , you have to decide which type of events you want to do, or even no event, this is totally respectable, but it is a choice to be done before you commit. At least my view...

18. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

did you realize your purchase? Best of luck,
    Jack

19. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010