Buying a used bass boat | FerrariChat

Buying a used bass boat

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I've started the search for a used bass boat to use on a local fresh water lake. My hard cap is $10k. I'd like to stay around 16' or so. I know nothing about bass boats. The last time I looked at them was over 40 years ago. What I'd like to do is post some Craigslist stuff to get your general feedback whether the listing is even in the ballpark. First up is:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/bass-tracker/6527108232.html

2012 Bass Tracker 165 with a 40 merc. Bought to go up and down the Trinity river but only used it 3 times on the river and so far once in Lake Conroe. Probably have 20 hours on the engine. Garage kept since I bought it and clean it after its out each time. So it's in mint condition so don't go buy a new one. Tracker Boat Sales on I-45 installed an upgraded Lowrance fish finder and moved the stock finder to the front of the boat. Also had a car charger installed on the dash to charge a cell phone or work a spot light. Have all documents, title, trailer, everything is good to go and like brand new.
    Serious inquiries only. Don't have time to play games. But in no hurry to sell it so I won't be low balled on price.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that Bass Tracker would be good one 16' and price range. your main boats 16' and around $10k will be the metal boats. to get a solid larger fiberglass bass boat you'll have to go 25+ years old to get around $10k. New bass boats selling for $75k! your tournament fiberglass bass boats are going to be 19-21' with 200-250 hp motors.

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. BTW, I'll be fishing solo. I can't find anyone who can stand to fish with me.

How about this?

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/05-bass-tracker-v18-bass-boat/6557999466.html

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Now this is what I'm more familiar with:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/boston-whaler/6536670655.html

60HP Mercury 4 Stroke EFI Bigfoot Motor - very low hrs, looks and runs great, Minn Kota Riptide 50lb thruss trolling motor - almost new, has all accessories - life jackets & etc., high resolution fish finder, bimini top, saltwater rated, comes on galvanized trailer w/folding tung. Ready for fishing. Have all clear titles.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Boston Whaler more of a bay boat.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    True, but I don’t think the draft is more than a bass boat. A Whaler is a boat I could take 30 miles out into the Gulf on a nice day. Notice I said could, not that I would.

BTW, to show you how little I know about bass boats, I didn’t realize the first boat I showed was metal.

Would a boat like that be loud? I’m guessing it has a lot of sound proofing like carpet. I grew up on the salt. My experience with bass boats back in my hippie days in Tallahassee was limited to jon boats you could throw in the back of a pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #7 bpu699, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I need to be able to launch, run, and dock the boat by myself. I spent the last week on a 23 foot boat in the salt. It can be done, but smaller is better. Besides one of the joys of fishing is peeing off the boat. If you gotta do number two, that’s why you need a ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I fish our inland lakes out of an aluminum 16.5ft Sea Nymph. It has a different sound than a fiberglass boat but I don’t think it’s any louder. It’s a bit small for Lake Erie but perfect for everywhere else. Make sure you have enough storage, including rod storage. It’s nice to get rods you aren’t using off the deck if you need the space.

Texas Forever likes this.