Buying a car off the net | FerrariChat

Buying a car off the net

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by StallionRx, Jul 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StallionRx

StallionRx Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    South CT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Im really interested in a Viper ACR thats about 1000 miles from me. Ive contacted the seller and hes sent me tons of pictures of the car and judging by the pictures the car looks ok. Ive had a few friends buy cars sight unseen off the net and while things worked out well for them I dont know if I'm willing to take that chance. I could take a flight out there to check the car out, but trying to arrange it around work is kinda difficult at the moment.

Has anyone bought cars off the net without seeing them? Also, in regards to shipping can someone suggest a good company?

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Touch, feel, smell, PPI in person. Works for me every single time.

3. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    WADR, avoiding thousands of dollars in repairs that pictures can't show is worth overcoming the "difficulty" of arranging a visit and PPI. I would avoid recoining the phrase, "buying a pig in a poke."

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I have never gone to see a car, but I always make sure I get a good independent PPI. It hasn't failed me yet. Of course, going to see the car in person is a good addition to, but should not substitute for, a PPI.

5. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    +1, always get a set of eyes on it

6. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    I wouldn't buy a NEW car sight unseen, let alone a used one... Take the time, get on a plane and go see it. If it passes your inspection, THEN have a PPI done by an independent 3rd party shop.

As for shipping companies we've used Passport/FedEx... http://passport.fedex.com/

And Intercity... http://www.intercitylines.com/

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If you can't go see it, find a company to inspect it for you and have them back up their work with some sort of insurance in case they miss something.

Hoping the car is in great shape is a dream, you can take a chance but be ready to be disappointed.

Spend a few hundred bucks on a plane ticket or at least a few hundred on a third party to check the car out on a hoist.