Buyers Beware of Kip Sheward Motor Sports | FerrariChat

Buyers Beware of Kip Sheward Motor Sports

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by dino2X6lover, May 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    #1 dino2X6lover, May 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    DON'T BUY FROM KIP SHEWARD (DON’T TRUST HIS LIES. I WISH I HAD LISTENED TO ALL THE OTHER NEGATIVE REVIEWS. THERE ARE SO MANY OTHER PLACES TO BUY CARS – I’VE BOUGHT OVER 35 CARS IN MY LIFETIME AND THIS IS THE VERY FIRST TIME I’VE REGRETTED IT). BUYER BEWARE.

I paid $300K for a Ferrari I bought from Kip. On delivery, he promised he would fix a few things that were not working properly (Not knowing Kip, I asked for all these issues to be written in the bill of sale). Kip assured me over the phone that the "car was beautiful and everything was working as they should" before the car was delivered to me.

When I received the car from the transportation company, the doors could not lock, the vent window would not close, and worst of all, the car was leaking profusely from the water pump all over the truck. Brownish liquid was everywhere (on the floor and all over the engine compartment). The car was clearly not safe to drive. Oh, I forgot to mention that he even stiffed me by delivering the car with the gas tank nearly empty and gas tank warning light on (classy move on a $300k transaction).

I immediately called Kip to complain about the leak and issues and he sent the car to a mechanic in my area. Once the mechanic had repaired the car, Kip refused to pay for the bill. He was yelling at me over the phone basically saying “This is your problem. I’ve already lost $15k selling you this car. There’s nothing I can do for you. If you don’t pay the mechanic, then he’ll put a lien on your car and then GOOD LUCK to you buddy!” He then hung up and I haven’t been able to get a hold of him since (after several calls, messages and also emailing all his administration staff several times).

Wow. I was shocked. I’m still in shock. I was left with a $3,000 bill after he delivered me a car that was not in any condition to drive. So unprofessional and a such terrible person to buy a car from. There are so many places to buy the car you want and many car salesmen who are more reputable than Kip Sheward. If you decide to buy from Kip, then I might offer you a piece of advice: “GOOD LUCK to you buddy!”
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i've met kip. sold him my m6 convertible spot back in the day. also met his brother down here in atlanta.

he used to be in walled lake mi. i think he was originally back by tim allen or something like that.

question 1#) you didnt have the car inspected prior ?

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if you have correcting all those items listed in the bill of sale, then I'd politely ask for my money back, followed with a demand letter from my attorney.

otherwise, buyer beware.

did you have a proper mechanic's PPI completed prior to purchase? how did you arrive at the list of items to be put into the bill of sale?

4. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    u bought a dino from michigan..... BALLSY especially sans PPI

5. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    #5 dino2X6lover, May 5, 2016
    Hi Guys, yes, I did a detailed PPI by Terry Miur - an excellent Ferrari mechanic. A compression test and other tests were also done by a shop nearby Kip Sheward's shop separately.

Terry was the one who notified me of all the issues on the car as I clearly told Terry and Kip Sheward that my intention is to have a fully functional car as I intend to drive this car from time to time and not store it, like some other owners prefer to do.

The bill of sale included most of the main items (but excluded some other minor items - I guess I should have taken this as an initial sign of warning, however one of the items was that the car "function properly" so I thought that would cover everything). For the items not hand written in the bill of sale, I wrote an email to Kip Sheward's assistant (as Kip Sheward had never responded to a single email of mine) to say that I would pay him the full amount for the car if he agreed to pay for any outstanding items not addressed on the car or if it wasn't working properly upon me receiving the car. See email attached.

Really, really disappointed with the way I've been treated by Kip Sheward and for him delivering me a leaking car (I was afraid the transportation company was going to ask me to pay for the mess the leaking car caused in his truck). Kip Sheward delivered me a car, which the mechanic I spoke to in California, said would cause real damage to the car if I were to drive it.

After I received the car, I told Kip Sheward that I wouldn't have bought the car if I knew he wouldn't deliver me a car ready to drive with all items working as they should. And he just hung up on me as stated before. I've never engaged a lawyer (except for corporate lawyers) for this sort of thing and wouldn't know what to do first. It would be another avenue where I would have to sink my time and am open to suggestions.

Before buying from Kip Sheward, I searched FerrariChat for a couple hours and didn't come up with much as most of you had not heard of him; only links to where he sells his cars. I'm writing to the FerrariChat community to make other potential Kip Sheward buyers aware of how he does business. And possibly as some of you have mentioned, to come prepared with a multiple page bill of sale outlining every detail of the agreement and an attorney on-hand ready before making a transaction with him. In my mind, that's not a great buying situation and I would hope to just avoid this type of seller in future.

Thanks for the feedback and please let me know if you have any other suggestions for me or can share any past experiences I can learn from on how to deal with a situation like this.

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    so if i understand these items were noted by terry in his inspection ? the leak was new ?

if so, i would have gotten an estimate of repairs/costs and either had kip reduce the selling price or fix them before.

we use and highly recommend chuck capella by the way in SE MI.

what type of $$ are we talking about ?

7. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    looks like a dino

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Mr. Capella does excellent work

9. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .

Yes, I had not known about the leak before I received the leaking car on the truck. The other unaddressed items were noted by Terry.

After receiving the leaking car, I immediately called Kip Sheward. He flat bedded the car to the mechanic and he was supposed to pick up the bill (as we had discussed, the car was supposed to be fully functional as my main intention is to drive the car . . . Not an unreasonable request for a $300k car, I personally don't think).

However, once the mechanic's bill of $3k was provided to kip and his company, the mechanic and I both could not reach Kip Sheward for payment after several calls a day and emails. When I finally did reach Kip, I saw a side of Kip I had never seen before. Refusing to pay, yelling at me over the phone, hanging up on me, and I haven't been able to reach him since.

I've bought several cars from other states in the past and would pay before receiving the car. Unfortunately, I wish I help onto that last $20k but let my guard down and trusted Kip Sheward. A costly mistake, but definitely one I will not make again. That's life and that's learning I guess.

Again, if anyone out there has suggestions on what I could do next, would much appreciate the feedback.

10. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .

Yes a 246 GT.

11. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    You sound very high maintenance.
    I bought a TR that had undisclosed issues and I didn't ***** about it at all. You never buy an old car thinking its going to run perfectly. These cars break all the time. There's always something! Just fix it and move on. Getting riled up over 3 grand when talking about a Dino is setting you up for a lot of disappointment later on. Just wait until you have to buy tires!

Congrats on the purchase! Just fix it and move on, that's my advice.

12. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .

I only drive classic cars so this is not my first rodeo (and these cars don't "break all the time" unless you buy a lemon but that's for PPIs are for).

If you buy a SOLID, fully restored car, nothing will need to be done to it for 10 years or longer because everything has been bright back to as close to new as possible (except for typical maintenance).

Kip Sheward and I had a clear agreement that the car would be a driver and delivering one which is not in condition to drive is not a fair agreement, particularly off the delivery truck before I received it. If it had leaked a week later, ok I'll take that. But not off the delivery truck. Think what you will.

Btw, yes, I did pay for new tires on my own dime as this was not included in the terms and was not something I expected Kip to pay for. I expected the bare minimum to at least be able to drive the car a block from the delivery truck to my home.

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    wonder why terry missed what was about to leak ......

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    $3k delta on a $300k car.....

it is unfortunate that you cannot do a deal on a handshake these days and most of these high line brokers seem to be shady.

15. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    Seems like you received a poor PPI coupled with an ignorant dealer who doesn't know how to talk to people and no clue about customer service.

Sounds like you did everything possible to ensure a good transaction, run far and run hard from this dealer and chalk it up to experience.

Enjoy the Dino, best of luck with it :)

16. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    henryr and FUNRARI, totally agree with you.

Just wanted to share my experience and hope others can also take something away from it. Nothing worse than a dark cloud shadowing what should be such an incredible experience.

17. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    was it a local car? i havent seen many dinos up there

18. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    It was a local car (lived in California for a couple decades in the past) - but been mostly a garage queen since its ground up restoration.

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    thought he went to prison....

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    if you have nothing better to do... file suit.

at least he'll have to spend $3k defending himself

21. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    was he sentenced ?

isnt he 70+ yrs old ?

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Vent window won't close.

Skip that one, NO vent windows work on any Dino, ever. If they DO work, the latch will pop off.

As to the rest, $3K in repairs on a Dino that you purchased for $300K, no matter what the guarantees from the seller, seems pretty much par for the course.

I bought one a number of years ago for $42K, put $20K into it before it left the dealer, and another $20-30K in along the way.

Drive it, enjoy it, and forget the $3K. you'll spend more than that trying to recover it.

D

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Thought he was sentenced, but maybe he's waiting for the appeal

24. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    #24 dino2X6lover, May 6, 2016
    Vent window noted. My mechanic said the vent window wasn't for a dino as it was too long, switched it for a correct one, and now the vent window closes beautifully. However, I don't want to go off track of the big picture.

I came to Ferrarichat as a resource to learn more about Kip Sheward before I bought my car. I found nothing after hours of searching this forum except for links where Kip was selling cars. If others had had similar experiences with Kip, I wish they had shared them.

My intention of posting to this community is to make everyone aware of my terrible experience with Kip Sheward. In the event a member of the community plans to purchase a vehicle from Kip, they can at least note a previous experience and potentially be better informed while going through the purchase process. I found some negative reviews on Google Reviews but ignored them . . .

I don't have time/can be bothered with filing a law suit and I have personally learned a lot from this process. I drive classic cars exclusively and am a collector. I'll be purchasing many more classics in future and will be more mindful of shady dealers like Kip.

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, if the car arrived with a huge leak and undriveable, and your agreement was that it would be driveable, then just force him to buy it back.

Based on what you said, Kip sounds like a sleazeball and this thread will surely show up on Google when people search for him, so it will most likely cost him at least $3K somewhere down the line.

If it's only $3K though, eh, chalk it up to bad luck and enjoy. It's not a big enough amount to ruin the deal. I'm guessing if it was $300K and they said for another $3K they'll fix all the problems and get it to you, would it really be much different?