bump start/pop clutch with a dead battery | FerrariChat

bump start/pop clutch with a dead battery

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ClydeM, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I'm old skool. Battery dead? no problem. turn the key to on, put her in first, press the clutch, push her as fast as you can, then pop the clutch.
    zoom-zoom.

But my 2015 Mazda 3 battery went dead last night. It has a push start button. not even an LED in the dash when you push it in. Dead-dead.

So how to bump start it? can you?

I did jump start it with cables, but if I was stranded...how to do it?

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'm not sure bump starting works on new vehicles anymore. Another thing to note is that jump starting or bump starting a dead battery vehicle is profoundly hard on the alternator. The current draw is very large and for older say pre-90's vehicles while it's tough on them it's not being monitored by any ECU, today's new management system would most likely prevent any starting on a dead or low battery due to the high current draw the alternator would experience. My wife's '14 VW diesel had a dying battery, the vehicle refused to start unless the battery was within spec, new battery resolved the issue. Or it could be like BMW where it requires a bloody tow to the dealer to re-sync the alarm system once the battery dies... freaking technology.

The more expensive aftermarket ECU's I use for the race vehicles now incorporate remote and push button start. The ECU monitors batt voltage and current draw, I can assign a 'chart' that the ECU's uses for look up values and will deny starting if it's too low, by either cutting fuel or ignition or even the starter relay if so wired.

3. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    With all the electronics in cars these days, bump starting from a dead battery would be like using a defibrillator the restart a heart with no brain function (probably pointless ;-)

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Push button start I think you need to push the button once and push the car.. No personal experience of any though.
    Flapping paddles and you're bust of course.
    However keyless entry I'm not sure.

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    With a push button start you should be able to turn the car on and bump it like it had a key.