Bull or Bear on Ferrari Vintage market? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bull or Bear on Ferrari Vintage market?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rob lay, Oct 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Bull or Bear on Ferrari Vintage market?

1. Bull - Prices will continue to rise over next 5 years.

2. Bear - Prices will correct down below 2005 levels in 5 years.

3. Flat - Market will remain about the same.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Too subtle for my old eyes....

2. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    Soon the late 1980s will return with a bang. . . :)

3. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    God I hope not... "Black Monday", Lockerbie, the Exxon Valdez, Tiananmen Square. Not much to like about the late 1980s. The only thing I liked about the late 80s was my age!

T308

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    To those who have watched in recent years the recent fast run has the feeling "that it can't go any higher"
    while those who have seen the cyclical runs of the 80's and 90's saying "oh yeah, it has just started the run"

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I think the upper end (Daytonas, Lussos, etc.) will continue on up. These cars have no real competition for the washed few. The unwashed masses will watch their 308 type cars slowly creep up but I doubt even a perfect 328 ever get to 6 figures.

355's, 360's, 550's etc. will fall and never get back to the MSRP. They are too computerized for most DIYers and there will be a huge population of very neglected cars that won't pay to be fixed. We've seen that to a lesser extent on the older 8 cylinder models but they have finally bottomed.

The Boxer, 512TR, Testarossas are the tough one. Everyone says the Boxers are the next great investment and may well be, but I wouldn't buy one expecting to make money. I think Testarossas and 512TR's will bottom at about where they are now, but not go up for the same reason as above: too expensive in general to maintain for the type of people who would buy them. So there will always be enough beater Testarossas around to depress the market.

Just my opinions...

Ken

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I agree completely - the difference being that every cycle, there will be fewer GTEs and PF coupes . . .

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I disagree. I don't think you can call a single run-up in prices driven by speculators and the ensuing crash as the speculators bailed out as a series of "cyclical runs." I also don't believe that the current market is being driven by speculators buying up old Ferraris as alternative investments. These people are now buying real estate instead.

What has happened, though, is that the current run-up in real estate prices has put cash in the hands of many would-be collectors, allowing them to either enter the market for the first time or to trade up into more desireable models. Where this differs from the late 80s/early 90s frenzy is that it has had less of an effect on the higher-tier cars.

I think we can expect collector car prices to pretty much shadow the real estate market over the next five years, whatever that might mean.

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The inference being that this market is being driven by actual consumers not speculators

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Right now there is a surplus of cash and people are not heading for the stock market, rather puuting their money into tangibles such as their homes. Look at home sales as well sales at such stores as Home Depot and Lowes for proof that this is happening. Should stocks suddenly attract the masses, watch most of this money move out of these tangibles.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is right on the money!

I would also add that for the next 5 years or so, we will see a window where the high-income boomers will be particularly flush. They're making more money than ever. The kids are out of college. Their retirement is funded (or so they think). Home is paid for.

AND

If they are ever going to buy that 60's Ferrari that they lusted for back in 3rd period algebra, the clock is ticking.

I find it humorous that many of the naysayers here are Gen Xers. Perhaps they are engaging in wishful thinking? You guys can't even afford to buy these cars at yesterday's prices. My advice to you is to wait for the estate sales.

Dale

11. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I am just stuck between the baby boomers and gen X-ers
    I bought real estate in California in 96 and 2000, and my vintage Ferrari in 2001. Something good came out of my generational identity crisis...
    :)

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes and admittedly so. :)

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I still think that there is a yearly seasonal cycle to pricing

14. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Ohhhhh it is going to be a rude awakening, isnt it? ;) But, after all, the boomers will be getting what they deserve with the cards come down.

Gen X RULES! Or least we will one day.... and then you boomers are really in for it!

Wishful thinking? Probably. Then again, either way I win. If prices go up then my Daytona is worth more. If prices come down, I an afford another vintage Ferrari. I prefer the latter scenario, but wont shed tears over the former.

Estate sales? We wont have to wait that long. Boomers flush with cash will be dumping cars when the value of that cash has inflated to nothing....

Then again, perhaps in such a situation people will look to buy collector quality cars to get OUT of cash? Hmmmmmm a good hedge against inflation?

DANG! I would be screwed again!

Galts Gulch...... here I come!

Terry

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I hope Boxers are next, but I doubt it because they made way too many of them...387 365s, 929 BBs and 1007 BBis...which for Chevy is not many, but for Ferrari is a lot!

16. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Gen X RULES! Or least we will one day.... and then you boomers are really in for it!

Yikes Terry!

17. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
    ok, so due to my age i have very little experience, but i'm going out on a limb here...
    :)

i predict prices to fall slightly for the real vintage cars. especially pre-65 cars.
    i always feel like the people who have the 'big money' these days are the people who dreamed about these cars in their youth. and these people are bound to be replaced by a new generation one day

big prices will probably go along with the cars that i link to the upcoming generation.

so i expect price increases for the daytonas and dinos, but slight decrease for cars like 166 and 212.

biggest price increases however will be for the cars with history, with an interesting story attached and a unique personality. i believe that is becoming ever more important.
    cars like the breadvan or 400i GTO, special cars that were created for special people

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have a simple rule about clssic cars (ferrari's included), people will buy whta they wanted when they were in high school.

although the market is everchanging, people still wnat vintage ferrari's. according to my "rule", i wouldn'tbe buying a ferrari until iwas buying a 328/348/tr. i am the odd duck. prices will rise based on the scope of the "when i was in high school" market.

you could not replace a dino/daytona/bb/ early 308/ anything earlier for the cost of insurance, these cars are about to go up. muscle cars have already done so. do you think a dino/daytona is worth the same price as a similar year mustnag/camaro? i don't!!!!! the pony car market has shot up and they are much more common. once people my age (i'm 31) realise the value, prices will correct - down for the pony cars and up for the rare cars. trust me, ther are very few cars made between 75 and 85 worth owning. this generation will fall back on the older cars versus reaching towards the newer cars. all tr owners, hold on for the ride if you can make it 5+ years, prices will come back. the reason i am certain of this is all of the friends/coworkers that are my age. they have a greater interest in the cars that appealed to them for so long, and those aren't the newest cars. i am happy i already went through that stage. i consider my tr to be a beast to drive, but i could trade just about anything to let my peers/friends have it for the weekend. there is a huge wave about to hit. give the early 70's car 6 months, give the mid 80 cars about five years.......

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

The car and the gurl !

LOL

I want a Daytona Coupe !! Someday.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did someone say "wave"????

Where's my surf wax????? LOL!

I sure hope so, I need to justify a lil' maintenance here, and some fitted luggage! I need some respect!!!

My note runs thru 2008, so I'll hold on at LEAST that long.....:rolleyes:

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is my first and last Ferrari, not planning on selling it, not worried. I voted "flat".