Bugatti Veyron------------- | FerrariChat

Bugatti Veyron-------------

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by tonyh, Mar 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    They should rename it the Bug Quasimodo or Tank2. That thing is Fugly

3. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
  4. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Now that's what I call a milestone in car history
    Mc Laren and Enzo will be losers compared to the mighty Veyron

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Yeah, but does it have TWO engine computers?!

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Big Mac won LeMans several times, this ugly POS hasn't done anything yet

7. NeuroSpeed

NeuroSpeed Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam Whitener
    Took Bugatti 4 years to do what Chrysler almost did in under a year... but the ME-412 was scrapped.

Regardless of the terrible colors, I'm sure owning a Veyron would be incredible.

But 50 a year? How long are they planning on producing these? What kind of facilities do they have? For something that goes that fast I'd expect that number to be a lot lower...

8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    The ME-412 was a scandalously re-badged Zonda. Never ever compare again a car built from scratch with a carbon copy concept car or you shall be killed. ;)

Can't wait for the tests of the Veyron. Damn this is going to be some serious car!

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The Veyron is a beautiful car and I'm glad to see it go into production finally. I still don't see why Caddy called off the Cien, now that car was gorgeous!

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The number I heard was 50, not 50 a year.

This is going to be one very rare VW.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The V16 engine is based on a design that Bugatti himself made for a WWI airplane. The war ended and was never put to use in a plane but the idea resurfaced when he attempted to make a V16 racing car. The car ran three or four races but almost the same problems which plagues the Veyron affected the racing examples but the weight and timing of the big engine brought original version to a halt.

Some of the problems were cured with modern electronics but the unstablity of the Veyron played out rather embarrassingly at the 2003 Monterey Historics where the car spun and cooked its engine in front of invited guests and media at Laguna Seca.

Then, the more famous spin on the Autobahn where with the head of VW at the wheel where it was said the car went airbourne. The entire staff of the Veyron were sacked and they had to start over again.

The original numbers (252MPH and 1001BHP) were revised on another article
    I recently saw about it. More like 238MPH and 860BPH. Perhaps Michelin has solved the grip problems but the car is a $2M 4 turbo charger beast and I'll
    bet more problems will surface before it actually goes on the market.

BHW

12. pdtrixceo

pdtrixceo Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Little Havana
    Full Name:
    Roger
    It looks like a cockroach.
    Roger

13. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin

Thanks a lot for sharing those amazing pics.
    seems like Veyron as all other great ideas will always cause a lot of controversy.
    why do people always refuse to accept revolutionary changes?

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    lets not insult cockroaches!!!! i know auto styling is a matter of taste, but this is pure and simply ugly..add in the fact that its taken 2 extra years to work out the bugs { no pun intented}, and you have the car thats a breakdown waiting to happen, all for a only 1.2 million dollars...this it the most pointless sports car of all time..the 1000 hp doesnt impress me, not with 16cycl, and 4 turbos...honda and ferrari get 950hp with a normally aspirated 3.0 liter engine, now thats impressive.....

15. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Honda and Ferrari get 950hp from 3L ... but they have to change the whole engine after what? 5-6 hours of racing (3 hours of driving per weekend?).
    Hopefully the W16 will last longer.

This being said, I've always been a Bugatti fan ... but just can't get myself to say wow when seeing the Veyron. It's definitely not ugly ... just ... bland. It doesn't have the glitter and presence a Bugatti should have. Take a 57 Atlantic ... you just can't take your eyes off of it. Take the Veyron, "oh, so this it uh? not bad, I guess ... next!". How the car will perform is another story all together ... but we shall see. They sure messed their marketing schedule, though!

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Sorry, meant to say the Veyron is a W16 engine.

Researching an article for a now defunct magazine on the Veyron in 2003, I learned a lot about Bugatti. Ettore Bugatti always took chances and made his engines as simple as possible with either rectangular or round shapes which of course was the layout of perhaps the most successful Grand Prix car in history, the Type 33, which literally won thousands of races.

Interesting also that the quality of the vintage Bugattis is such that most of the examples built are still drivable to this day (some incredible number like 98%). A stunning Bugatti road car took Best of Show at this year's Palm Beach International Councors at the Wellington Polo Fields and it was an incredible example of automotive art.

That VW has kept the Veyron project alive after the public embarrassments
    and all of the hype indicates someone believes in the car. But, perhaps they would have been better served rolling out a conventional V12 coupe before
    the W16 quad-turbo which, even by modern standards, is a huge engineering feat.

As stated before, Bugatti designed airplane engines and even landed a contract with the American government which commissioned his W16 example.
    During the Great Depression, his automotive business dropped off but he kept his company together by designing and building rail road cars on commission from the French government.

BHW

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Fat bastard

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  19. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    is it from Romano Artioli's era?
    or a Volkswagen's concept?

20. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Kinda both. This particular car I believe is from the Artioli era, but Volks also showed an EB112 prototype, similar to this one ...

Neither ever made it to production.

21. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #24 F1racer, May 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    The Chiron and W18 (3x inline 6) went to the trash, last that I know of. They prefered the Veyron styling, and the W16 engine, most likely because it allows them to make a smaller car (oh yeah ... and the Hunaudieres concept being ready didn't hurt much neither :)). They must have kept the Chiron, though, and I hope it will still be exposed in Molsheim, along with some historic models. I actually think the W18 is a better design, but it does fit better a car like the EB112 ...

By the way, the Veyron is a reasonably sized car, and when you consider the engine and power ... it's tiny tiny tiny! Look at the first pic of the serie I posted earlier. The cars around it (Opel Corsa and Peugeot 306) are pretty much the size of a Ford Focus. A 1000hp Focus sized supercar ... :)