Bugatti Veyron - Barrett-Jackson Sat night; no reserve | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bugatti Veyron - Barrett-Jackson Sat night; no reserve

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Wolfgang5150, Sep 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buggin

Buggin Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    Farmersville, TX
    Full Name:
    die langsame
    #51 Buggin, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    If I was able to go 700K into debt, or had 700K to burn, I would have snatched that thing up. High miles and all.

I already have a daily, and I feel comfortable poking around in high end engine bays enough to wrench it myself.

Besides, what is the difference between a Factory Tech, and a determined gear head?

Factory training.

But thats besides the point. After all, its only a VW:).
    (the most baddest ass VW ever!!1!! sorry, had to geek out for a moment)

Seriously though, I would not mind high miles, nor the possibility of teaching myself about the car. I know enough to not break anything unless I have a replacement. And I know my right from my left, which is more then I can say for some of the techs I have dealt with in the past.

2. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Its just 4 VW 1.8 turbos welded together ;) I wonder what that crank looks like?

3. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #53 TG, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bugatti Veyron Buyer Flakes At $700,000 Winning Bid

A 2008 Bugatti Veyron sold on Saturday at a Barrett-Jackson auction for $700,000 — a reasonable price for a 1,001-hp supercar with 12,000 miles. After the hammer fell, the buyer placed a new bid of "just kidding."

The Veyron was the star attraction of the auction, and considering its original $1.4 million asking price, $700,000 seemed like a decent price, despite the outrageous maintenance Veyron ownership demands.

But when Barrett-Jackson went to finalize the sale, the winning bidder pictured got some expensive cold feet.

"First, he said he didn't bid, then he said he was ‘trying to help,'" auction company chief Craig Jackson said, declining to identify the head faker. "The bottom line is, he said he wouldn't buy it and we booted him." President Steve Davis later held up the buyer's lanyard from the podium, saying "here's all that's left." (That used to mean something else in Vegas.)

Jackson then offered the Veyron back to the underbidders for the same price. When none bit, he bought the car himself for $700,000, and later said he expected one of the phone bidders to step in.

What have we learned? Veyrons may not be holding their value all that well. People in Vegas can exhibit questionable financial judgment. And if you're going to punk a popular car auction, don't do it on live TV. (H/T to Richard & Jon!) [Speed TV]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Is he from Jersey Shore ?

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Is that Snooki in Drag?

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I was under the impression that shill bidding or not being able to execute the transaction after winning a bid was a felony?

also, I agree that BJ is getting a VERY bad reputation for all the games they play.

7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Just for the be forewarned file, I had a 1970 LT1 Corvette roadster that I sent to a Phoenix auction to run thru a famous but unnamed here major auction house's January sale. During the bidding, as the bids kind of stalled, I mentioned to the ring man that I'l lower my reserve to the point of the current bid, thus generating the sale. He acted like he did not notice that and ignored me, called a no sale and sent the car out.

Then outside he said he did not really have a bid for that amount. He had some poor guy bidding against the lamp post or something. From then on, I always made sure I coud see at least one guy I was bidding against.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    The original buyer stated he never intended to buy the car, he was booted and banned from the grounds. Then BJ stated they would buy the car, but someone watching on SpeedTV then called in and apparently a deal was made.

9. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Why would BJ sell it to the guy calling in when they could buy it and flip it? I'm assuming 700k is not where the market is for this car and was simply an anomaly?

10. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I was there, BJ also told the crowd that the car had an electrical glitch in the transmission, and that the car would not go into reverse, but that they would have it fixed for the new owner after the auction.

The car had a few scrapes on the lower front bumper, and a few chips here and there, it definately had been driven almost 12,000 miles but appeared to be in really good shape.

11. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Typical for a BJ auction. Why anyone would buy a car from these guys is a mystery to me.

12. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ditto. American Muscle, yeah - probably OK. Anything exotic? Craigslist would be
    a better option to sell... or eBay.

Jedi

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You buy at BJ to be seen on TV. You go to the other houses to avoid being seen on TV.
    Seriously BJ is as much about the show as anything. There's a lot of Barnum&Bailey in their operation.

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    And a lot of P.T. Barnum's favorite type of customer's in the room.

15. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I thought that best left unsaid :D
    Having said that I wouldn't assume that there is no hokum going on in some of the more "refined" rooms.

16. GFUracing

GFUracing Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2005
    Ahwatukee Foothills
    Full Name:
    Darrell
  17. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.