Bubbling under paint. | FerrariChat

Bubbling under paint.

Discussion in '612/599' started by Brian Hoban, May 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian Hoban

Brian Hoban Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    London
    I have a 612 for a year now - love it and drive everyday- generally very good condition, only main gripe are 4 little finger nail sized bubbles under paint, same locations each side - near a join in the chrome trim around rear quarter window, and top corner of windscreen (although that appears to be repainted in the past - very good colour match but close inspection can see it on a perfectly sunny day). So advise - leave as is - even touch up locally which will be obvious but small, or get treated properly - quoted to repaint the entire roof which I think will never be a perfect match either (paint is an amazing Nero - incredible depth when polished and waxed -kind of has a dark red fleck deep in the back and that is how I see were it was previous touched up! ) .
    So question - touch up with Chipex - or have repainted ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    What you are showing is rust bubbling through. You can be sure that the infected area is much larger underneath. Repairing it properly will likely involve the removal of the glass. If it is repaired with the glass in place there will be un-treated rust under the rubber trims that will eventually migrate back to the visible metal. It is up to you how far you want to take it because repairing it 3 times would likely cost less than pulling the glass not to mention the risk if the glass breaks.

A proper body shop will be able to respray the whole roof and it will be a PERFECT match totally indistinguishable from the original paint. The repair area you are showing should never have been visible and is a result of poor work on the part of the repairing facility.

3. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Definitely repair the entire rust bloom ASAP.
    It will get worse quickly.
    What year and where are you?

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The actual spot where the bubbles are is an aluminum structure, so it is not rust, but it is corrosion. Areas where two different metals meet will cause galvanic corrosion from electrical current generated between the two metals. Ferrari actually developed a material to use between steel chassis and aluminum bodies in the 60s and it looks like they could have used some between the windshield frame and the aluminum body. The F12 is having quite a bit of a problem with this currently. It needs to be repaired with a barrier between the two surfaces to prevent a reoccurrence in the future.

Piper and Skidkid like this.
  5. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Nero Daytona is gorgeous paint but difficult to match correctly.
    This could be a bad slope to new paint everywhere

6. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fix it right. Even a less than perfect paint match will be better than the eventual outcome of a slapdash touchup. Mike

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I would disagree on this. The worst case is painting top, A-pillars, and buttress. If you get 99% match the joints at the transitions will hide it.

8. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    I apologize, you are correct. This is very easy and any Maaco shop is able to do it perfectly

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 612 had a bubble like that on the door, when it was about 3 months old. It was corrosion, and it was repaired under warranty. Not cheap, though!

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    probably could. black is one of the easiest colors to blend/match. its the light colors, white, silver, yellow that are hard. Black is unforgiving in the top coat of clear if its imperfect in texture or polishing

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Actually, black metallic is difficult to blend BUT there is a big jump from the panel to painting the entire car. I just chose to ignore his snarky comment.

12. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    From your pictures and as Terry noted, the paint bubbling is aluminum alloy corrosion caused by galvanic corrosion due to direct contact of aluminum alloy against a much nobler metal, eg, stainless steel, chrome, nickel, etc. That direct contact turned the aluminum roof into an anode due to normal electrolytic process and exhibited itself as filiform corrosion.

In the aerospace industry, we always worked with CRES (Corrosion Resistant Stainless Steel) valves and components that mandated a special coating on its surfaces that would be intended for direct contact with the aircrafts' aluminum alloy structure, skin, etc. Boeing required application of a coating called Alumazite ZY-138 on bare CRES surfaces; the coating being a barrier that eliminates any electrical conductivity or electricity passing between the mated steel and aluminum surfaces.

I believe there are other coatings available which I strongly recommend must be applied on surfaces of the chrome-plated window frames prior to reassembly of your repainted aluminum alloy roof. Otherwise, repeat of that problem will recur within a short amount of time depending on environmental conditions where you garage and drive your car, especially if you live close to the sea or ambient conditions within your town contains salty air. Best to perform the proper repair (and expense) just once! o_O

599_GTO and Skidkid like this.