Bubble value cars? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bubble value cars?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tundraphile, Jun 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

True, but which one is MORE fun? :)

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This.

An Audi R8 V10 is also in the $200K range. Is it really better or cooler than a 993 Turbo or Ferrari Boxer?

And a new Camaro for $75K is mindblowingly bad value. It makes the classic ones seem completely reasonable.

Yup. New cars all leave me cold, and good luck finding a low mileage 993 that someone's dumping to trade for a 996/997. This is the first time I recall a price curve inversion -- 993s outpacing 996s by a significant margin -- among modern cars. It used to be that newer was better. Now I'm not so sure.

Agree on the 993, although maintenance does have something do with value. That's part of the reason why TRs are now cheaper than 328s, and why Porsches are sought after as classics.

3. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    another one that might be worth watching is the BMW 1M.

I don't own one but have heard some rave reviews on it

4. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I'm telling you. Maintenance has no correlation with toys of this caliber. NONE. That is the biggest myth out there. If maintanence is such a big deal than why are 993 turbos 200k? Why are countaches 300k? The maintanance on both of those cars is as much or more than a TR. And I have a TR. It's all supply and demand. Anybody who brings cost of upkeep into the equation is kidding themselves and is overthinking the whole thing.

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

And believe me people said the same crap about every car out there at some point in its life. When the Countach was 65k, people said the same thing. Yeah, but it costs and arm and a leg to maintain. Hahaha, funny stuff. Not true even in the slightest. If somebody wants the car bad enough and the supply is low, they will pay up. Nobody gives two farts about the upkeep. And BTW the 328 is only worth what it is worth because it is RARE. If they ran that car as long as they ran the 308, it would be 30k all day long. And if the TR production were lower than the 328 production, then the TR would be worth 5 fold what the 328 would be worth. FACTS

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree. A 328 is a $10,000 car if its value was based on performance only.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    993 turbos are not high maintenance, at least not as compared to a TR or Countach, or any Italian exotic for that matter. Except for a rare turbo problem, the 993 turbo is as reliable and inexpensive to own as its naturally aspirated air/oiled cooled brethren.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well...not quite. I work on a ton of Porsche. I really really like them. But the 993 turbo no matter how good of a car it is (and they are simply awesome), are expensive to repair. It's almost a completely different car then the none turbo cousins. They may look the same (almost) on the outside, but the guts under the skin are turbo chassis only.

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Some of the comments might have missed the mark of my original post. I wasn't really talking about low-mileage showroom fresh examples. Those will always command a premium and in many cases could be multiple times more $$$ than the dog examples of the same model.

Where I think a bubble is obvious is that right now several cars are very expensive even for poor examples. The very best 993 coupe is probably north of $100k, but a well worn example with seat rips, faded paint and in need of an engine rebuild but drivable is still $30-35k. It is nuts, this is closer to a parts car or full restoration project. 10 years ago that car would have been $15k on a good day.

NSX are the same way. 20+ years old with 150,000 miles is still mid-20s.

12. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    So in the performance only valuation how much for a Lusso, GTE, GTC?

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not much. But, the much rarer front engine, carbureted, chrome bumper cars will continue to increase in value because of their "X" factor. I once owned a 1967 GTC and while it sounded wonderful, had a great looking engine and old school interior, it wasn't a high performance car of the era as compared to say a Shelby Cobra or Muira.

14. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    +1

15. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Since I own a 1996 911 Carerra (Type 993) that I bought new I love your thinking. I bought it because it was the last of the air-cooled models and I think is perhaps the best looking 911. It is also a blast to drive.

16. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
  17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
  18. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Really? Did you write that with a straight face?

19. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    ok, I will chime in since I have most of these cars in my collection. I have always been a Porsche / BMW fan and would consider myself an enthusiast. Most of my cars are condition 2/3 as I drive them most of the time except the Z8 and Ford GT.

Porsche 993 - Last of the air cooled

Porsche 964 - Last of the classic 911 body before the shape was smoothed out and widened

Lotus Elise - Track car for the street, will never see a car like this again in the US

BMW e30 M3 - Huge racing history, 4,996 built for the US market, 1st M3, most were tracked, less than half are still registered in the US

BMW Z8 - modern rendition of the BMW 507, 2500 built for the us market, e39 m5 engine with 6 speed manual gearbox, fit and finish like no other BMW. A lot of these US Z8's are exported to Europe thus smaller number available in US-see ebay and autotrader.

Ford GT - modern rendition of the GT40, 4,000 built, has held its value and slowly appreciated to $250k - $300k today's value. Ford will never build another one, America's super car, wide appeal.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Pretty sure the sucess of this car has Ford, Chevy, & Chrysler thinking hard about trying another supercar.

21. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Food for thought

A 2015 Cadillac Escalade will set you back 98K loaded.

In 2003 a base model could be had 37K.

New car prices are downright silly.

Some, like the Corvette C7, warrants the cost. Others (nearly any 991) do not. And I love the 991.

22. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ford GT is THE American Supercar. It is continuation of GT40 legend blessed by Carroll Shelby himself. It is the home team Supercar and is far more exotic than most modern Ferraris as it was only built 2 years w nothing afterwards. Drive one and you will know. They are only becoming more scarce & more collectible as more are wrecked.

NSX like FGT is ONLY Japanese Supercar

928, nothing else like it built today

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not really no..

24. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior