Brien Wygle passes away: | FerrariChat

Brien Wygle passes away:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Sep 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Former Boeing test pilot Brien Wygle passed away at the age of 96. He was, among other things, the pilot on the maiden flight of the 737 and the co-pilot on the maiden flight of the 747. He was also a part-time Unlimited hydroplane driver!

I'm sure that Bob Parks will have something to say about Brien.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/bellevue-wa/brien-wygle-9367079

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I knew Brien and I'm sad to hear that he has passed. I am also surprised that I didn't receive the news until your post. Brien was one of those guys who seemed to be unimpressed with his accomplishments. When I asked him about his experience when the rudder came off the hydroplane Thriftway Two when he was piloting it at 160 MPH. It swapped ends and survived the failure. He said, " Well, I wouldn't want to do that every day." I flew on a 720B test flight with him at the helm and he was total professional.He always remembered to say hello when we were at big gatherings like QB's and Boeing functions. The old Boeing was very different from what it is today and I hope that it can regain the all over humanism that I remember. It's still there but hasn't risen back to the corporate level yet. Might not happen as long as the name is still in Chicago...thanks to a dimwit.

Gatorrari, boxerman and Boomhauer like this.
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I forgot to mention that Brien was copilot on the first flight of the 747 with Jack Wadell, and Jess Wallick, all W's.