Brian A – Four Years of 308 Ownership | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Brian A – Four Years of 308 Ownership

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Mar 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A very enjoyable read. Thanks for writing and posting it.

Modulo_B likes this.
  2. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    This is a great story and echoes how I felt when I got my 308. Great write up Brian!

3. JSytsma19

JSytsma19 Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff S.
    What a great story! And the exact same reason I plan on having an F-car someday. It's a hobby, and I want to maintain as much of it as possible. Once my '49 Ford is finished, then a 308 is certainly on the docket.

It was a fantastic read!

Modulo_B likes this.
  4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    +2. Great story, great read.

5. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Thanks, Brian. I am also going for a trophy at a concourse event in 6 weeks. Already have my toothbrushes lined up and a list of about 50 things to do...

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    If this is your first concourse judging they will probably provide you with an additional list when they are done. Chip away at that list over the next year. Repeat.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Best wishes. Start another thread on preparing for a concours and we will "help" you. (Hee hee.)

I completely agree.

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Great story!! Congrats!!

9. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Thanks, Party Animals!

10. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Enjoyed your write-up! It is 18 years with my 328.

11. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well said. It's funny how different Marques attract different types of people. It's seems to apply to different models within the Marque also. I wonder if the 308 people will someday be the "status buyers" with the prices going up.

By the way, I thought you we're great in Sling Blade.

12. 308gts79

308gts79 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2007
    San Francisco/Hong K
    Thanks Brian for sharing the great story.

13. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    +3. Just over 7 years of happy ownership here. Wishing you many more!

14. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Great read, thanks Brian.

15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My 1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole was invited to The Quail A Motorsports Gathering this year in “The Great Ferraris” category.

I was in good company. Directly in front of me was Jim Glickenhaus with his SCG003C (that's him in the blue jacket). To my car’s immediate left was one of three factory prototype 348 Challenge cars. Three cars down to the right was David Lee’s fire-breathing 246 Evo. To my immediate right was Jeff Cowan’s flawless 1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 and a couple of cars over to the left was Rossocorsa1’s perfect extremely low mileage 1989 328 GTB. It was seriously, majorly, awesomely cool to be invited to Quail.

I am sorry to report that none of the three 3x8s that were present won Best in Class. That was awarded to some dodgy old jalopy; something called a “1958 250 Testa Rossa”. Harrumph.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, Thomas Magnum and miketuason like this.
  16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Great write up Brian and would love to see more pics of your beautiful car!

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Thank you! The adventures the car continues to take me on are just amazing. How did I get so lucky?

Regarding more photographs, well, the reality is that my car is as plain as a 308 gets: standard issue Magnum p.i. red with tan. We've all see a million photos of red and tan cars already. And photos of me standing here with my car and there with my car are just too Facebook-y for my taste. Attending The Quail though was major, so I posted a pic.

18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    March 4, 2020 - Update at 7 years of Ownership

I am in a bit of an unusual situation at my 7th anniversary of ownership. The car has been up on jack stands in the garage since New Year’s Eve 2019.

Frankly, 2019 was more of a BMW-centric year for me. The big event was preparing and then driving my 1987 BMW 325i convertible across the country to participate in BMW CCA “Oktoberfest” in Greenville SC and then touring the south in the car with my wife. Drove from California all the way to South Carolina only on backroads. Went as far south as Savannah Georgia. Put 6,800 miles on the 33-year-old BMW. It ran flawlessly.

The biggest event for the Ferrari in 2019 was participating in the Virginia City Hill Climb. I love this event. I was a few seconds faster than my previous year, but I am not trying to break any speed records.

The Ferrari is up on jack stands because I have finally tackled the suspension renovation. Needless to say, I have not been working on the car this whole time. There have been all kinds of obstacles, not least of which being a protracted visit by my mother-in-law. I’m having lower suspension spring perches made to lower the car a little. That is taking time. Another “obstacle” was that it was time again for me to change the timing belts. And, there are always all kinds of little while-I’m-in-there fixes. It is just going slowly. It is weird not having the car to drive for this length of time. Fortunately, all the suspension work will last a very long time, probably beyond my lifetime.

Over these last 7 years, I have averaged 1,850 miles per year. The car now has 51,000 miles on it.

Modulo_B and Martin308GTB like this.
  19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thanks for the update Brian.
    But this time I really like the BMW travel part. Wow!
    And don't hurry with your work on the 308. Wrenching is part of the game for us home mechanics.

Best from Germany
    Martin

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, one of the upside of this abnormally warm winter (same for you Martin I guess: NO SNOW AT ALL up to now!) is that the 328s get driven...and are happyer.
    Tried to visit the beavers places and spots the last week-end; discovered that we have some in my neck of woods; our german neighbours re-introduced them in Saarland in 1996, but the beasts do not care about the borders or ID papers...

Rgds

21. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Fantastic story which I’m sure parallels the experience pretty closely by most of us. Can’t wait to read about the next four.

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Noone cares about ID papers while crossing the border any more. Least of all here on our river border with car ferry (which I cannot enter with the 308 because of the deep front spoiler). But if furry immigrants start cutting your trees, I would intervene :)
    Seriously; Even regarding Switzerland I can't remember any more, when they wanted to see my papers last time.

Best
    Martin

23. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    Ha Ha! I just got a notification that Brian Harper "liked" my post. That is brilliant.

24. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Hi Brian, I know you wrote this thread a few years back but it reminded me a lot of my experience buying a 308. I too within a very short period had the fuel pump fuse burn up and switched to the Birdman fuse box, had my oil cooler line leak and my exhaust was shot.
    I was always hesitant about buying a Ferrari due to the ‘fear’ that others would be too smug but o boy was this not the case. It has been a wonderful experience and I have been treated more like an old friend by everyone than a competitor. Hopefully all is well with your 308 and would love any updates!

Modulo_B and 308 milano like this.
  25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah, I continue to be surprised by the comradely of the Ferrari crowd. They have turned out to be an incredibly inclusive bunch. Everyone – from LaFerrari to 250 Lusso owners – enthusiastically engage in conversation about my “lowly” 308 despite their car being more interesting. I think we kinda “need” each other because owning a Ferrari is a little bit on the fringe. We are all a little bit misunderstood.

From our 3x8 side of the fence, I think it is difficult to gauge the effect our car has on other people. We get all critical of our cars because of Magnum p.i. and the 20,000 3x8s that were built and that it was the least expensive model when new and blah, blah. The car is such a magic blend of fantastic and weird. When I hear “entry level”, I hear it more as meaning that 3x8s are a “gateway drug” than “beginner” Ferrari. All Ferraris are the same when you don’t own one.

I am lucky that I own a second “practical” antique sports car; my 1987 BMW 325i convertible. It gets a little attention from cognoscenti, but I don’t hesitate to park it a shopping centers, drive it in the rain or hauling large items, which I am always reluctant to do with the 308.