Break in for the v12’s | FerrariChat

Break in for the v12’s

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by khal360, Apr 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Hi all. Lots of conflicting opinions about the break in period on previous threads About to hit the road soon in a 812GTS and would like your thoughts. Contrary to popular belief, the cars are only mildly driven around the factory for about 60kms prior to delivery.

A) drive it like you stole it (after oil temp comes up)
    B) keep it fairly gentle for 500kms or so
    C) other.

thanks.

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    The car's computer restricts maximum performance, something like the first 500 miles and then it lets out some more and then after 1000 and more, I do not have the exact schedule (it may be in the owner's manual) but definitely holds back but you might not notice it.

The biggest issue (regardless of mileage) is to make sure all fluids are up to temperature (VDA shows green for all sections) before you take excursions over 4000rpm, otherwise, I think the break in is more for the driver so they don't toss the car into weeds, that is, learn the power of the car.

also found this
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/running-in-procedure-ff.515166/

Caeruleus11, xBox and klinkman like this.
  3. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    C. I usually take it easy for 620 miles or 1k km. By easy I mean I don’t redline it and vary the rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and IloveGT like this.
  4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Vary the RPMs, let it warm up before getting high into RPMs, and go out and enjoy it! I personally like to break cars in like how I plan to ultimately drive the car. Generally that means I'm going to get it warmed up, and make sure to hit redline at least once while driving, if not many times.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Here is my recipe:
    For the first 1000km (yes, a completely arbitrary base 10 number):
    1. Warm up oil to >150 F before going over 3K rpm. Keep under 5K rpm until 500km, then 6k rpm until 750km. At 1000km go to red line!
    2. No short trips. Make sure each trip > 30 min. Vary engine speed as much as practical.
    3. Gentle cool down for ~ 2 miles before stopping. Just gentle driving, perhaps in auto mode on last 2 miles to destination.
    4. Check engine oil at 500km and 1000km (and every 1000km thereafter if low on previous 2 checks). 812s can use oil. There is a thread about that here on FChat. My 812 at 3000 miles was down 6 qts. Fill only to the minimum line on the dipstick min-max range. Bad things happen if overfill. Use the exact procedure in the owners manual, it is a PIA but there are mechanical reasons requiring the procedure.

Remember, this is an approx. $450-500K car with a glorious highly tuned 6.5 L V12...show it a little love for 1000km...simple.

(Also keep in mind, this is a mechanical object, not a conscious being..it doesn’t “remember” how it was driven in break in and appreciate it later when driving hard. Break in merely means if something is slightly out of spec the wearing of parts is more gradual than catastrophic. Probably has more to do with number of heat cycles than anything else.)

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Keep in mind that all engines are redlined on the dyno, even before they get installed in the cars. The break in period is more about the rest of the car, rather than the engine itself.

350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In addition to the above, the break in is also for the tires- the second most critical part in the equation behind the driver (lets hope that doesnt ever change!).

Definitely take your time to learn the car. As a part of that I’d say dont go beyond sport mode for the first few trips so you have some extra traction control to help you as you learn the car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Except tires do not require a break in, especially not 1000 miles worth, technically the more heat cycles on the tires the harder they will become and less traction/grip they will provide.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I remember an interview with a Porsche engineer about this. IIRC he said the engine redline is done quickly and the metal never gets to a high temp, and thus not expanded fully so little concern for frictional damage.
    I think the key for breaking in an engine is a certain number of heat cycles accomplished without overstraining the components.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am not sure about the Porsche procedure, but Ferrari runs the engines for about half an hour, so plenty of heat build up. For sure though that is just one heat cycle, two if you count in the test drive.

11. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Redlining on the dyno is not equivalent with breaking in though. The period is also for the engine to wear in.

12. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I sometimes think its more of a break-in for the v12's driver ...... sure feels like that in the 812, on a winters day, with summer tyres :rolleyes:

Caeruleus11 and JTSE30 like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Interesting, I remember some tires used to tell you to give them 200 or so miles to break in. I think you are right about the newer sports tires. Sorry for the confusion, carry on!

14. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I thought it was pretty standard that any tyre needed a few hundred to scrub off the mould releasing coating?

Caeruleus11 and REALZEUS like this.
  15. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks everyone. It seems warm her up well, vary the speeds, redline only occasionally for the first 1000kms, gently cool it down at the end of the drive, keep on sport until you understand the car well (never going past race on the street), and enjoy the best car in many, many years.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    And check the oil at 500km and 1000km.

khal360 likes this.
  17. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Keep in mind the newer cars won't let you over rev when the car is still cold. This was introduced sometime during 812 production.

Overall I don't think it's crazy to take it a bit easier for the few 500km or so. That doesn't mean never step on it, just don't go hard on revs for an extended period of time.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Shouldn’t need a few hundred. Should happen within the first like 20 miles. At least by then my latest tires were no longer slippery.

Don’t be afraid of race. Sport is kind of a wasted notch on the switch. Will race mode let the rear slip out? Yes. Will it get dangerous? Not really. Just don’t mash the pedal down in stupid spots and you’ll be fine. You’ll come to find rolling into the throttle is almost always superior to stabbing the throttle.

khal360 likes this.
  19. aureux

aureux Rookie

Mar 14, 2021
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    John M
    I've broken-in quite a number of engines, everything from race to daily drivers, and based on the Ferrari plant tour, they pretty much do all of the initial and critical break-in in-house.

As for guidelines on good compression and oil ring sealing for healthy longevity, then I follow the famous guide;

Below 1000km
    - no more than 75% throttle.
    - lots of healthy decelerating downshifts from 4500rpm to 2500rpm to really seal those rings
    - don't cruise at a constant rpm for too long
    - never lug the motor

After 1000km
    - enjoy it.

*Although probably unnecessary, I'd probably change the oil within the first 2-3k km.

khal360 likes this.
  20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Engines and mechanical parts all have a break-in period during which there is bedding in of parts and abrasion of imperfections in the surfaces after which there is less friction and wear. This probably occurs rather quickly In modern engines but each manufacturer have their own cycles based on experience and engineering. Varying speeds, loads ,rpm etc ensures all aspects of the bedding in process occur. As for redline... I would rather wait for at least a few hundred miles before I see it regularly. I call it the “getting acquainted” phase.
    As for tires- at least 20-50 miles for break in based on my motorcycle experience to get the tires scrubbed from side to side of that shiny finish and traction improves dramatically thereafter. Car tires on the other hand don’t have to lean side to side so probably scrub clean within 10-20 miles depending on road on road conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat