Braking problem with 488 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Braking problem with 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Badbruno, Dec 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Actually switching to Motul. The Castrol is great, but want something with a bit less comparability. So going to give RBF700 a try.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Dicecal likes this.
  2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Do you mean “compressibility”? SRF has higher boiling points dry or wet, but doesn’t have as good “feel” like Motul.
    FWIW, I use Motul RBF 600 and haven’t had boiling issues, even on the track (albeit a technical track that’s not that hard on brakes). I could go to RBF 660 or SRF, but why?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep that's what I meant. Auto correct rears its ugly little head...

I like as high a boiling poit as possible. My experience is, that the higher the boiling point, the more consistent the pedal feels through the operating range.

I choose 700 because I get it for the same price as 660.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    I too have a 488S and the braking power at high speed doesn’t feel right to me. I just took my Huracan out for a blast tonight and the difference in braking on the Huracan compared to the 488 is noticeable. Is it the brakes or the difference in weight that I’m feeling. I feel way more confident in my abilities behind the wheel of the Huracan than I do with the 488. That’s for sure.

5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Huracan have steel brakes?

6. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Carbon Ceramics. I have a Huracan 610-4.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mdrums likes this.
  7. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    There is a 488 Ferrari recall on breaks. Your breaks have a problem !

8. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Looks like I've been feeling the weight and you really need to work the 488 brakes to get the most out of them. It's just different from the Hurcan. Overall all is well.

9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I believe the recall is the same for the Pista. It’s just a replacement cap for the reservoir and a software tweak. I doubt that could be the issue in this case. Been using SRF in my other cars with great success.

10. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia

Braking test
    Ferrari wins )

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/gvoe9o1efs35

Compare from magazine’s tests, Ferrari wins
    I had both 488 and Huracan, Ferrari brakes better IMO

pdxjim488 likes this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Right. Braking should be at least comparable. If it’s weak, there’s a good chance some detailer used silicone-based tire dressing and got overspray on the rotors. Contaminated rotors will not stop well, and driving on them will just bake in the contaminants. The only way to clean it off is to use a solvent and even then, it’s not easy to remove it. Best not to use any tire dressings, or if you do, apply it to a sponge or rag and wipe it on.
    If the pedal is spongy, there’s probably air in the line.
    If the pedal is hard and a lot of foot pressure is needed, the booster or vacuum check valve might be compromised.
    But weak brakes on any Ferrari is not normal, and unless the prior owner or the dealer put in track or race pads, they shouldn’t need much warm up to bite well. OEM street pads have good cold bite.

DefunctNeurons and of2worlds like this.
  12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    @Need4Spd nailed it! Ceramic carbon rotors and tire dressing do not mix.

DefunctNeurons and Need4Spd like this.
  13. AlexxNac

AlexxNac Rookie

Jun 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex nacorda
    Yes, agreed. I have taken my 488 spider through the car wash about 7 times this year. Today, after exiting the car wash the brakes felt like they had lost all pressure and the brake pedal completely sank in. Luckily I always drive in manual and was in 1st gear so I was able slow down a bit.

I figured that the tire shine or solution the car wash uses on the tires got on the brake rotors or pads and caused the brakes to ultimately fail. Fixed the problem by going 100 a couple of times and pumping the brakes to rid what ever was on them causing the issue.

never going through a car wash again. will stick to hand washes.

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    In your case it may be something other than, or in addition to tire dressing contamination. The brake pedal should not sink to the floor. You should get it checked.