Brake light mods | FerrariChat

Brake light mods

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mrbon007, Aug 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrbon007

mrbon007 Rookie

Apr 17, 2017
    London
    #1 mrbon007, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    do you have a before pic?

3. mrbon007

mrbon007 Rookie

Apr 17, 2017
    London
    It was standard before, brake lights were in the lower clusters.

Centres of the upper circles only illuminated when the fog light switch was pressed

4. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    looks great, good to have extra warning so people do not run into us right :)

5. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    Don't leave us all hanging. We need detailed instructions asap.

Nick.C and Joshcruz713 like this.
  6. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    wow I had no idea only part of that illuminated, that looks way better with the switch you did

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    US laws don't allow brake lite on moving parts (trunk lid).

8. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I wonder since you are not eliminating the factory lower brake lights if incorporating "extra brake lights" would be acceptable.

We don't have inspection or emissions in SC so I'm sure it wouldn't matter here.

I've got an '09 Silver Cali with the Carbon Fiber LED Steering Wheel and Front and Rear Carbon Fiber diffusers, Tubi Race Exhaust, Novitec Coilovers, and 21"/22" Black Forigato Staggered Rims with Nero Diamond stitched interior. Planning on the conversion soon!

9. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    #9 cab2u, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    i really don't think anyone would notice at an emissions inspection in NY. I sent mrbon007 a private message for instructions on how he did it. Waiting for a response.

10. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    I second this!

11. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    The conversion looks great - so much better. If it's relatively easy and reversible, I'd do it. And while that's correct that in the US, they don't allow brake lights on moving parts, Ferrari disabled the operation of the roof while the car is moving so it becomes less of an issue. Regarding the comment about adding "extra" brake lights, I understand from an old thread on this subject that the US specifies that only 3 brake lights are permitted (left, right, center), but no more than 3. One other question - in that old thread, someone questioned whether even changing up the amperage draw/design of the lights (by re-configuring) would potentially create some kind of software glitch or warning with the car computer. To the OP - any problems?

12. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Cab2u, let us know what you find out

13. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    Peter P, the amperage draw is a good point to consider!

14. mrbon007

mrbon007 Rookie

Apr 17, 2017
    London
    Hey, sorry for delay in replying.

So I don't know us the us cars have the bulbs already in the centres of the upper clusters like we do in the U.K., controlled by the fog light button on the dash?

But assuming you do it is very easy, I simply ran 4 wires each side from one light cluster to the other, cut the wires at each end and joined them up.

Now my lower lights are only used as fogs (not as additional brake lights like some have suggested in the past - I don't want 5 brake lights!).

It's very simple. I will write up step by step instructions today and post again.

I think the rear looks more like a regular Ferrari now, as the lower brake lights were clearly a last minute fix.

andyrichter, mkt, A.J and 1 other person like this.
  15. mrbon007

mrbon007 Rookie

Apr 17, 2017
    London
    Also forgot to say there's no warning lights or errors on the dash at all.

I would also be very surprised if any tests done e.g. MOT or US equivalent could pick up on this. This car has 3 brake lights, in the place you would expect, and to be honest these lights are brighter than the lower ones as the glass isn't tinted black.

16. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    So the question is, do US cars have the bulbs in the center of the upper lights? Does anyone know? And, do US cars have fog lights?

17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #17 vjd3, Aug 24, 2017
    US cars have the switch for the fog lights, and the owners manual talks about it, however, turning my lights on and pressing the switch did not illuminate the center of the lights. The car was not running but the ignition was on and the headlights were lit. So not sure about that.

I think traditionally the outer rim of the single round taillight serves as the brake light, as the center is usually a reverse light -- that would be a two setting light (dim for taillights and bright for brakes).

I doubt you would fail an inspection, but I would not doubt that in the US if you were in a collision where someone hit you from behind and the insurance company or lawyer figured out you had modified the brake lights, you would have a problem. I say this living in a neighborhood with a bunch of personal injury attorneys ; )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #18 vjd3, Aug 24, 2017
    Took another look tonight ... yes, the US car has the foglight in each taillight (apparently the engine must be running for the switch to operate).

As an owner, I don't have much experience being behind my own car. But I can say that the taillights are really bright. In fact, they look to be as bright as brake lights. And the center foglight is the same brightness. Visually, the outer rim of the light is a bigger surface area to illuminate, so having the brake light in the center doesn't seem to be as effective ... you're basically looking at a pair of really bright taillights even when the car is not braking, then when it is, you just have a solid taillight light. Not sure how noticeable that would be at night. The 3rd brake light is helpful, of course.

I think to do it safely you would either have to swap those two, so the small light becomes the taillight and the bigger circle around it becomes the brake light ... or put dimmer LEDs into the outer rim so the center is more obvious when it illuminates.

Be interesting to see what they do on the other single taillight cars, my bet is 2 stage LEDs, dim for taillight and then bright for braking. That would be the best solution. I wonder if an F12 light is the same size.

19. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I don't know much about this, but what about a brighter bulb for the center?

20. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    You're over thinking this. Go back up to the top images. It will work great. They were originally designed to be the brake lights, it was changed to work in the US.

The swap he is doing would work great.

The only concern is will the wiring brake from opening and closing the trunk?

I want to see how he switched the wiring, I'm very interested in making this change.

GNU likes this.
  21. mrbon007

mrbon007 Rookie

Apr 17, 2017
    London
    #21 mrbon007, Aug 26, 2017
    Ok i have had a chance to write this up, I think it sounds a bit more complex than it really is. Just hard to explain. Have added some pics to help, although I didn't take any at the time so these are stock photos I have annotated.

1) Remove inner boot lid liner
    2) Remove upper light units.
    3) Cut red / black wires coming from circuit board and into light fitting. These are tucked in tightly and seem too short but if you carefully prise them out there is more than enough to cut and reconnect. (see pic)
    4) Extend wires with standard auto electrical cable. I got red & black to match factory and ease identification (4 x 3m lengths should do it.) I tightly taped all 4 cables together to make a mini loom and keep them neat. Label each end of each cable so you know whats what at the other end when wiring the other unit.
    5) Replace light fittings and run new cables thru trundlid on either side down to hinges. follow the line of the rubber wire enclosure to get from the trunklid back into the main body of the car.
    6) Part open roof to get access to the run between the hinge and the lower rear lights and run the cables. There are some moving parts in here so I ran my new cables alongside existing looms to be sure the location was safe.
    7) The at the back of the lower lighting unit, remove the orange plug which houses brake light bulb, cut all 3 wires (red, black, green) combine the green and red cables at both ends, these join to your new red cables, black just goes to black.
    8) Wires should go as follows - 1) Red & black output from upper light circuit board connects to inputs on lower light orange plug. 2) Red & black inputs on upper light unit central bulb, connect to the lower light feed wires (coming from the loom)
    9) The lights should work as intended now.

Any questions feel free to DM me, but it really is simple.

Beach Boy likes this.
  22. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    Being that they are both in the trunk, I have to believe the wires are near each other at some point in the wiring, so you don't have to run the wires to and from each light.

Giova, rob.kruiswijk and GNU like this.
  23. mrbon007

mrbon007 Rookie

Apr 17, 2017
    London
    I am sure the wires all come from the same loom at some point yes, but figuring out whats what and dismantling the car to find the loom is a bit of an ordeal!

24. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Wow! I'm dooooin this! as soon as I can get to it.

25. nflpats

nflpats Karting

Oct 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tobin Tracy
    Just out of curiosity, could you just remove the fog light plug from the top light and connect a red & black wire tapping it into the third brake light? Basically using the third brake light wires to power the center bulb in the top taillights. For those who don't want the bottom brake light, just remove those bulbs? I know you will loose the fog light function but I can't see where it would be needed in the US. Also, would this trigger any warning lights? If not, this is the route I plan to take.

rob.kruiswijk and doccharlie954 like this.