brake fluid cover hinge | FerrariChat

brake fluid cover hinge

Discussion in '206/246' started by mar3kl, Mar 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I need to replace the hinge that attaches the brake fluid inspection cover to the plastic front batchboard. Anyone know of a source? It looks like a metric continuous hinge, and everyone around here only has imperial measurements, which are different.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is called "Piano hinge". Google the term and you should be faced with many choices. Try European suppliers.

3. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the pointer, I had tried that, and unfortunately the suppliers tend to be British or German large volume industrial suppliers. I was hoping someone had a retail source...

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Lots of options on Ebay

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Have you asked any of the restorers? I am sure you are not the first that has looked for one. Pat Ottis is not far from you. Maybe ask Matthias Bartz. He is kind of the Dino guru.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Piano hinges are available from hardware stores and hobby shops. You will end up buying a longer piece and cutting it to length. This is exactly what was done originally. Also note that original hinges are brass with no finish on them so avoid chrome if you are looking for original look

7. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Patrick has an original unmolested batchboard with what looks like an unpolished aluminum hinge. My guess is there were different kinds depending on what was available at the time. Not like there are little Ferrari horses on it. What’s on my car is dimensionally identical to Patrick’s example, but mine is clearly itself non original (and broken) since it‘s chrome plated brass and has unused countersunk pre drilled holes in addition to the holes used for the rivets. What’s frustrating is in metric-land the dimensions are quite standard but I haven’t been able to find a retail location that’ll ship one hinge to me. I’ll keep looking...

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #8 TonyL, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Brass, aluminum, stainless I’m sure we can agree that the Italians used whatever hinge was available

TTR and mar3kl like this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    pshoejberg and TonyL like this.