Brake Booster Plumbing | FerrariChat

Brake Booster Plumbing

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Tojo, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm trying to work out the plumbing for the brake booster as the diagrams are not real clear and I don't have another car to compare with.

On table 34 of the parts book, I think hose 13 plumbs into fitting 11 on the top of the brake pump in table 35. Also on table 35 the small hose goes from the pump to the oil filter mount.

Back to table 34, where does hose 30 go? The book says it connects non return valve to the inlet manifold, but I'm not exactly sure where.

Is there anything particularly special about the non return valve? (Table 34 item 27) I don't have one and haven't found one for sale yet either. If anyone has seen a viable alternative that would be great. Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Hose #30 on table 034 is the same hose as hose #46 on table 005 (note that they have the same part number).

Hose #13 on table 034 goes to fitting #11 on table 035 (#13 on table 35 is a Jubilee Clip -- the hose is unlabeled, but should be labeled "hose #13 from table 034").

The non-return valve's function is to ensure that there is always a strong vacuum available inside the brake booster. If you are at WOT under heavy load, or even at idle, the engine vacuum will be lowish, and, if you don't have the non-return valve, and quickly jump on the brakes there won't be much boost. That style of non-return valve is used on many cars (not just F) so, as long as you get one that has the right diameters to fit the hoses, it would work fine.

Tojo likes this.
  3. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's a massive help Steve. Thanks very much. Now I'm getting my head around the system properly, and just have to find all the hoses clamps, banjo bolts and fittings, and some money to pay for it all.....

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I can't recall a single F model where they have a decent, clear figure of the vacuum hose routing for the power brakes in the documentation -- the hydraulic stuff, yes; the vacuum stuff; no. They did do a better job in the later SPCs with regard to the labeling of the hoses -- at least describing them with phrases like "Pipe from 3 way union to vacuum pump" and "Hose from brake booster to 3 way union" rather than just the vague "pipe" or "hose".

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    In 2016 I bought a new brake vacuum check valve from ItalianCarParts.com. Cost at that time was $60. It is plastic and opened and closed very easily; it is correct diameter for the hoses. I just looked on their web site and did not find it; their part number (same as F#?) 101538.
    Ken