Brake bleeding: what did I do wrong? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Brake bleeding: what did I do wrong?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Sep 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes there are many many WP haters and I totally respect Brian. I on the other hand have used them since the mid 70's with no problems. I'm not sure why I have had no problems and they do such great work for me. WP have been around since the 40's. Most lame businesses fail to stand the test of time. Somehow this business has been around 60 odd years. I don't know why.

2. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I will be attempting to bleed my brakes today and after reading this thread I also read my workshop manual. On page G8, Air Bleeding (Fig.9) its says:

- Fill both reservoirs, bearing in mind that during the bleeding operations the fluid level must not fall below one quarter of the maximum level.
    - Start bleeding from the front brakes.
    - The lower cylinders of each caliper should be bled first and then the upper cylinders by means of screws A (fig.9). (From the diagram it appears that there is a bleed screw at the top of the caliper and in the middle on the outside of the caliper. So there are only two bleed screws that are used)
    - Then proceed in the same way for the rear calipers.

This appears to be totally different from any other car I have owned and differs from what is suggested by others in this thread.

Any thoughts before I proceed?

3. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I don't see how the order in which you bleed at each wheel can make any difference in the result. The point of bleeding is to flush out all the old fluid, and to eliminate air bubbles. Both the front set and the rear set share a run of tubing, then they branch out. Whichever wheel you do first, you will flush out all the old fluid and air bubbles from the shared line, and also from the branch leading to the wheel where you are working. When you go to the other side on that "axle," you then only need to flush out the branch line on that side. The shared line is already clean. And I don't see how it matters to any of this, which end you do first, or which side of an "axle" you do first.

So if the Shop Manual says to start at the front, then that's what I would do.

One quirk of the 400i system is that it has two independent systems, each of which operates all four wheels. (See the line drawing in Post #8.) I suppose the reason for this is that if there is pressure loss in one system then the other system will continue to operate at all four wheels. (This is different than any other dual master cylinder system I have worked with -- i.e., on Detroit cars -- which always use one circuit for the fronts and the other for the rears.) But the independence of both systems means that we must bleed each system separately. I assumed that this is the reason for the twin bleeder screws in each caliper, located at about the midpoint of the caliper, one on the inboard side and one on the outboard: to make it possible to bleed each of the independent systems. In any event, this must be done: both systems must be flushed and bled. Therefor my advice to you is to bleed at both of the midpoint screws, thoroughly.

I assume that the purpose of the top screw is to release any air bubbles (and old fluid) which are present in the caliper casting above the level of the midpoint screws. Such air bubbles will float to the top of the casting, and this bleeder screw will let them escape.

By the way, I am finally able to get back to this project myself this weekend. My project stalled when I decided the MC was not good. I sent my MC to the rebuild shop in San Jose, and I got a new reservoir and rubber grommets from Geert Jan Scheurs in The Netherlands ( http://www.ferrari400parts.com/ferrari400partsshop.php ). So, happy bleeding to both of us!

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    This further supports using a Power Bleeder rather than stoking the MC.

5. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    #30 new ulm 400i, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ...the bad news is I've moved to the NAWP (never again with WP) camp, the good news is that my brakes finally work...this was my 3rd try with WP, the first came back not pumping, the second time was that the brake piston would get stuck in compression (meaning that after a few miles from home, the fluid would heat and expand causing all wheel cylinders to lock up and the car wouldn't budge). I sent back the Master Cylinder to WP, they honed and put in new seals--and when I put it back on, guess what ? The MC went from too-tight to too-loose....leaking internally. I drove it for a few days and it was like walking on thin ice, wondering whether you'd come to a light or parking retainer and actually stop...

So I ordered the New MC from Ebay "Romaveloce" (aka OKP).. not cheap ($385) but ordered on a Monday and had it Friday. The replacement is a Bosch, not Benditalia. The body of the Bosch unit is slightly longer, so the exit for the front circuit needs to come from the left of the MC body (so re-bent the tube going to the balance switch).

What a joy, after futzing with a poor rebuild, to have brakes that can stop a 2 ton car...I'm a fan of buying new when new is still available for these old cars, and wish I'd found the OKP a long time ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #31 180 Out, Oct 28, 2012
    I also had a happy ending to my brake problems. I sent my MC to Power Brake Exchange in San Jose -- (800) 322-1775 -- whom I mentioned in an earlier post. They had to sleeve it. I installed it and bled the system and everything is working fine, one day later. The price was $210, plus shipping both ways. The brakes are still woeful, but they do not require pumping up, as was the case before the rebuild, and I don't get the very long, soft pedal I would sometimes get when backing out of the driveway or after cruising for a bit.

My fluid reservoir also needed replacement. It had turned extremely brittle and it cracked when I pried on it to remove it from the MC. I got a used replacement from Geert Jan at Ferrari400parts.com. It was 100 Euros, plus 6 Euros for the two rubber grommets and 32 Euros shipping. I think it was Bruce who recommended him, and I am grateful for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for preserving the reservoir. The used one I've got now seems to have a little flexibility, whereas the original one is extremely brittle and fragile. I was thinking an Armor All or similar product, or plain silicone, applied regularly, would keep the new unit young.

Here are some photos:

7. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    Bill, definitely don't get anything like silicon near the reservoir (you don't want anything contaminating the fluid). The reservoir should last another 30 years! Lee

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ah Ha! Just as I thought!

Yeah Lee, if it were new...but Geert Jan's reservoir was ultrasonically cleaned, it's still 30 yrs. old :(

Bill, Geert did mention that it is important to use the o-rings under the white caps to prevent them from cracking...I'm hoping you got those as well. In talking with Rocco (Fchat user name 'rock') about my caps cracking, he mentioned that he has run into this when they are tighted too much. I told him of the power bleeding problem I experienced & said that I did try tightening them to prevent the leaking fluid/air but to no avail (I thought I was being fairly careful not to overtighten them but I now believe this is what caused them to crack...of which happened over time). Since all this has happened, TRutland's now has a new reservoir complete (#108802) for $295.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Brake-Fluid-Reservoir-Ferrari-308-400-Countach-/140820019925?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c986fad5&vxp=mtr

No one's reacted to the power bleeder thread I started,...it's a 1 man show! I guess everyone here either uses the 2 person 'old fashion' method or they have a shop perform these services (which is 'supposed' to be done every year). The only problem with using it on our period cars is that fluid/air ends up escaping from the reservoir where the rubber sensor plugs pass through the side/underneath the white caps...a 'real pain in the A$$'. I noticed that Lee has the later version reservoir (#119566) that was supplied on 'every' later '80's Ferrari :)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Testarossa-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Fluid-Reservoir-Bottle-/310463317801?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48490e4729&vxp=mtr

Although it isn't period correct, this newer version will hold the 5-10 lbs. of pressure from the power bleeder so that you don't have to have someone in the car stroking the MC.

Your car is coming along, it's great to see your efforts realized in motion :D

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #34 blkprlz, Oct 29, 2012
    I hope I shouted that loud enough :eek:
    I remember using that stuff on a dash of an old 280Z & that dash cracked a couple of weeks later (in the infamous spots). The dash was vinyl & I was told that vinyl needs to breath (which Armour All inhibits). I've been using Mother's 'Back to Black' for about a decade & have not had the problems that Armour All yields:
    http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html

I have also discovered it works well on the yellow cadmium coated metal parts that are tarnished under the hood. Over time, it'll bring back the shine unless the tarnish has worked its way through the coating. I unfortunately didn't discover this until after I took some metal polish to my FI lines (the ends that feed the injectors) & took the finish off of them 'real fast'! :( I know a lot of you have tarnished & possibly pitted finish on your FI lines. I was at the point of no return so I continued on one of them & liked the results. I know, I know,...it's not factory, but they can always be re-coated later if I choose. I have since acquired another set of FI lines in the original finish. Got to admit, black & chrome has a look to it. Everyone who's looked under the hood are wide-eyed. Note the finish on the brake booster.

Oh, incidentally...to have those lines recoated, I believe you'll have to remove the old polyamide tubes & then have them refitted with Cohline or similar (the originals were Castello PA 11 Rilsan)...that's a whole project in itself. I've followed Verell's thread from the beginning:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186689

10. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I wanted to add a $0.02, that people should probably not disturb the white caps on the reservoir without a very good reason. I removed mine to clean out the brownish sludge that had accumulated in the bottom of the reservoir. I had to use a socket on the hex heads to break the caps loose, and I don't know if this is what caused the threaded neck to crack -- as you can see in one of my photos above -- or if it happened when I screwed the cap back on. Bottom line is, if it ain't broke . . . it probably will be if you try to remove these white caps.

Regarding O-rings under the caps, Geert Jan did not mention that to me, but that does seem like a sensible idea, for preventing overtightening of the caps.

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    If your package included all of this:
    http://www.ferrari400parts.com/ferrari400partsshop.php?view=productPage&product=1&category=1

then you got them. When I saw this available some time back, I remember the necessity of the o-rings under the caps to prevent them from cracking being mentioned along with the ultrasonic cleaning process.
    The fact that you needed a wrench to remove the caps suggests that the system might not have been maintained on a regular basis. If the caps were overtightened, they would have cracked. I remove all caps when changing out fluid to clean, visually inspect, check sensor free movement, etc..
    As a side note:
    I pull my fuel injectors at least once every 2 yrs, generally every year. I clean around them including the fat o-ring (with mineral spirits) as well as the rubber socket that receives them. I lube the upper portion of the socket as well as the fat o-ring on the injector with Mother's Back to Black. This not only allows for easy insertion of the injector but more importantly, the removal of the injector later on. I think the reason why we see man-handled injection lines is because these things were stuck & the mechanic didn't employ the use of an injector puller. I do not have such a tool nor need it, they pull out with relative ease...got to love that Mothers :)